The signs have been there, we should have seen it coming

p_phelps

Is it maybe possible that Seth overachieved his roster wide talent in the first three years with coaching and the help of a few stellar players and that we have just regressed back to the average. 

Recruiting matters. We seem to have fixed that problem but won’t start to see the results until next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

Is it maybe possible that Seth overachieved his roster wide talent in the first three years with coaching and the help of a few stellar players and that we have just regressed back to the average. 

Recruiting matters. We seem to have fixed that problem but won’t start to see the results until next year. 

Matt Brune said in his podcast that he thought we probably accurately evaluated our high-end talent (Fine, Bussey, etc...), but over-estimated our low-end talent.

• Upvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

Matt Brune said in his podcast that he thought we probably accurately evaluated our high-end talent (Fine, Bussey, etc...), but over-estimated our low-end talent.

I've listened to that podcast since early 2018, and they overhyped us a lot. Not just the record but the players. The only thing that they were worried about was LBs, and they are the surprises on the defense as the DBs are the opposite.

Also injuries can hurt predictions 

Just now, greenminer said:

That's just hindsight thinking. Of course we hit on Fine and Bussey, two very productive players. Their productivity does not match their rating and offer sheets. Recruiting has been poor. Defensive recruiting has been abysmal. I don't want to say coaching is suspect because we really do not know who does what as if it's some sort of secret, but I think it's safe to say we can lean to the idea of coaching being suspect easier than we can it being stellar. 

And I don't even care about a single isolated year. Programs go through ruts, it happens. The frustrating thing is that we can call is a mini downward spiral, most would agree on that front. I just don't see how the bleeding is going to stop moving into 2020 and forward. 

15 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is where I’ve stood. Seth’s downfall has been how quickly he turned it around. 

Go back and look at those first 2 classes as a whole. So so so bad. Some nice top talent but no depth whatsoever. 

42 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don’t think he should be fired.....now

But I have doubts that he can improve. Only because he hasn’t proven otherwise. In year 4. 

What if the highest paid coach in the conference goes 5-7 and 7-5 the next 2 years? (Very possible) He’ll still Be above that 33% winning threshold. 

I can get on board with that. Highest paid coach cant sit at .500 long term. I’ve just been saying that’s is so damn early to start judging what he is or can be. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, p_phelps said:

Good god stop with the we sucked forever so it's okay to suck again... hell no, we are putting money into the program like never before and expect to see results that follows... you have the wrong attitude 

Preach. Also, I am not on the Fire Littrell train, but part of that fat contract he got is decision making to fire horrible assistants before they sink him. He needs to right this ship next year or the burners on his seat need to be turned up. You can't be the highest paid coach in the conference with no conference championship wins and no bowl wins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Personally think it would be insanity to fire SL. But regardless of my opinion I have yet to see who you “Fire Now” people expect to bring in that’s gonna be our savior?

No one has named a single person because there isn’t one. You think there is a coach out there that we could afford & would accept our offer that is gonna come in and immediately make us a powerhouse? Y’all are in an imaginary world, SL is as good as we’re gonna get for the time being.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

Personally think it would be insanity to fire SL. But regardless of my opinion I have yet to see who you “Fire Now” people expect to bring in that’s gonna be our savior?

No one has named a single person because there isn’t one. You think there is a coach out there that we could afford & would accept our offer that is gonna come in and immediately make us a powerhouse? Y’all are in an imaginary world, SL is as good as we’re gonna get for the time being.

Wow, well for starters, this young lad is better...apparently. 

image.png.4d3d96f3e48cb6647960dca089fb1685.png

And for 1.1M less. Yay us!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Good god stop with the we sucked forever so it's okay to suck again... hell no, we are putting money into the program like never before and expect to see results that follows... you have the wrong attitude 

You and I have differing opinions on what “suck” is. “Suck” is having a losing culture with little to no interest in your football program. “Suck” is not having a down year after back to back 9 win seasons. 

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

You and I have differing opinions on what “suck” is. “Suck” is having a losing culture with little to no interest in your football program. “Suck” is not having a down year after back to back 9 win seasons. 

A singular down year? In your opinion, are we going to have another down year next year? Or the next? 

• Downvote 1

I doubt anyone is or would be happy with a 54% winning percentage.

This is not the SEC, it is CUSA

Why the obsession with what Littrell makes?  Would some be happier if he was the lowest paid coach in the conference?   

I doubt few of us ever turned down a raise.   I don't want a bargain at HC, I want a winner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

I doubt anyone is or would be happy with a 54% winning percentage.

This is not the SEC, it is CUSA

Why the obsession with what Littrell makes?  Would some be happier if he was the lowest paid coach in the conference?   

I doubt few of us ever turned down a raise.   I don't want a bargain at HC, I want a winner.

Pay top dollar, expect top product. Pretty simple. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I just don't see significant improvement with the roster setup as it is in either 2020 or 2021. Debbie down me all you like, but I am just simply calling it as I see it. Again, we must go heavy JUCO to fill crucial needs to contend for a bowl game next season and probably the year after. If the staff stays stubborn and refuses to do that, expect 2020 and 2021 to be losing seasons, three in a row and 4 of 6. 

Can you think of a single school that went heavy on JUCO and it actually worked?

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

A singular down year? In your opinion, are we going to have another down year next year? Or the next? 

I have absolutely no idea. I think they’ll have more talent ready to play. QB will be a question mark but..
Did you think they’d beat Army his first year with a freshman QB? Probably not. 

Did you think they’d win 9 games and get to the conference championship in year 2? 

None of us know what the future holds. What I do know is that SO FAR Seth has been substantially better than we’re used to seeing. If in 2 years he’s still right around a .500 coach, then we can have this conversation. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
Not walk-on.. but borderline was.
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Pay top dollar, expect top product. Pretty simple. 

I will buy, the more the pay, the more likely the product will be good.

However, there are no guarantees that will be true.  

At this point, no one knows if this year is an one year decline or the start of a downward arc. 

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Wow, well for starters, this young lad is better...apparently. 

image.png.4d3d96f3e48cb6647960dca089fb1685.png

And for 1.1M less. Yay us!

He looked like he was ready to go golfing after the game. Dude was all decked out and even had a fleece on.

Edited by Big Z

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

At this point, no one knows if this year is an one year decline or the start of a downward arc. 

The greatest QB in the history of the program is gone next year.....that's a pretty good indication of where we're headed.

If Littrell turns it around next year with a new QB? I'll eat my words.

10 hours ago, TheNewEra said:

I'd take a shot at Billy Napier.