The signs have been there, we should have seen it coming

p_phelps

This lost while extremely frustrating we've seen it before.  Seth had only once bested a good team, that was army in his 2nd year and boy was it close. While he fails to beat good teams he typically does well against bad teams BUT every damn year we lose a game we had no business losing. It's like clockwork. We are always double digit leaders in the game and piss it away to crap teams. Not s sign of a program taking the next step. Seth brought us from the pits of one of the 5 worst programs in the nation to a mid to upper CUSA team. I know we all have bigger aspirations as a program and I would love to see a mutual parting of ways with Seth and UNT.  He's taken us as far as he's going to and to avoid the arrow going back down we need to pull up the big boy pants and make a move at the end of the year. We wasted the best QB in school history senior year and it makes me want to puke.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

Before pulling trigger on Seth ask yourself who you could get that's significantly better for the same money. Not pie in the sky, but real people.

For the same money? 

A lot of coaches would come here for a 1.8M salary, top 3 CUSA coaching salary pool, geographical footprint for recruiting and their own personal/family entertainment, and a brand new IPF. I think several eligible candidates would love to come here. 

• Upvote 7

30 minutes ago, wardly said:

Before pulling trigger on Seth ask yourself who you could get that's significantly better for the same money. Not pie in the sky, but real people.

I think wren and co have made us extremely appealing and with that contract and jet access I think we can get someone legitimate. It may have been best Seth taken the kstate job looking at hindsight. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

For the same money? 

A lot of coaches would come here for a 1.8M salary, top 3 CUSA coaching salary pool, geographical footprint for recruiting and their own personal/family entertainment, and a brand new IPF. I think several eligible candidates would love to come here. 

Name some.  Don't be vague.

• Upvote 2

I’m not advocating that we fire Littrell but I think he is more of a beneficiary of many factors and those factors have help to create an illusion that somehow he single handedly led our program to this incredible turnaround, perfectly disguised (the illusion) by two 9 win seasons which he then quickly parlayed into seeking other employment which ultimately led to a negotiating advantage for a higher salary against a unprepared and surprised employer who had just increased he’s pay to 1.2 million and extended his contract less than a year earlier. We, none of us, truly, honestly know if Littrell can even coach. BUT, we do know he and his agent can cleverly out negotiate our leaders. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

I’m not advocating that we fire Littrell but I think he is more of a beneficiary of many factors and those factors have help to create an illusion that somehow he single handedly led our program to this incredible turnaround, perfectly disguised (the illusion) by two 9 win seasons which he then quickly parlayed into seeking other employment which ultimately led to a negotiating advantage for a higher salary against a unprepared and surprised employer who had just increased he’s pay to 1.2 million and extended his contract less than a year earlier. We, none of us, truly, honestly know if Littrell can even coach. BUT, we do know he and his agent can cleverly out negotiate our leaders. 

100% this 

That strength of schedule He played last year was historic. 

and everytime he says “this place is unbelievable” he’s right. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not asking for SL's job. Others are. 

But to your question, there are several out there. 

HMMM.  The post below of your's from another thread sure seems you are advocating for a change.

At next seasons end, SL will probably still be the highest paid coach in CUSA (or at least top 2) and will have 3 losing seasons out of 5, no bowl wins, no CUSA trophies, and a disturbing amount of ugly losses to show for it. Year 6, we'll be closing in on a decade of SL and there is ZERO evidence of a good 2021 campaign. He does not value defensive football and he does not recruit well enough on the defensive side of the ball. He must replace his defensive staff and recruiting staff while going heavy JUCO to shore up holes to even be competitive in 2020. 

His value blows. His worth and his productivity do not correlate in any case

Oh, and you were vague again in who you would like to replace him.  Give up on the self important drivel.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Say like........someone we can afford?

64123916-C9C7-4C4A-9046-C960245BA335.png.e09efdfa5bb304b48f9070c8f07a912e.png

Rick

Someone that has built up a G5 before and moved on and maybe it Didn’t work out. 

They’re having success with that 30 miles south of Denton right now. I mistakenly called him a “G5 retread” like it was a negative. 

And let me state. I’m not on the Fire Littrell  NOW train. #1 we can’t afford to. #2 we’re gonna have to see the last 2 recruiting classes. At this point I have no reason to believe he can turn this around. Because he hasn’t given me a reason to believe it.  So it’s all blind faith at this point. But we really don’t have a choice. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Everytime I see posts like this it makes me sad. 

we’re so pathetic 

All I’m saying is the grass isn’t always greener. You would think this fan base would know better. 

Does he need to make some changes to get over this hump and have sustainable success? Sure. But suggesting that he should be fired bc he can’t take us any further is extremely short sighted. 

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

All I’m saying is the grass isn’t always greener. You would think this fan base would know better. 

Does he need to make some changes to get over this hump and have sustainable success? Sure. But suggesting that he should be fired bc he can’t take us any further is extremely short sighted. 

I don’t think he should be fired.....now

But I have doubts that he can improve. Only because he hasn’t proven otherwise. In year 4. 

What if the highest paid coach in the conference goes 5-7 and 7-5 the next 2 years? (Very possible) He’ll still Be above that 33% winning threshold. 

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

Again, not advocating for his firing, at all. But what I am doing is just pointing out the obvious issues on the team while pointing out the obvious needs and lack of attention in recruiting in certain areas on this team. SL will definitely have a losing season this year which makes 2 of 4. The D, I find it hard to believe will see a surging improvement next season while breaking in a new QB. A very probable losing season, 3 of 5. We got him on the hook for at least another year until firings even are considered, unfortunately. So if our future QB's aren't saving the jobs of several coaches and getting other coaches promoted as Mason Fine has done (which is probably safe to assume), then we will not have a QB to be able to mask all of our team problems moving forward. 

I just don't see significant improvement with the roster setup as it is in either 2020 or 2021. Debbie down me all you like, but I am just simply calling it as I see it. Again, we must go heavy JUCO to fill crucial needs to contend for a bowl game next season and probably the year after. If the staff stays stubborn and refuses to do that, expect 2020 and 2021 to be losing seasons, three in a row and 4 of 6. 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don’t think he should be fired.....now

But I have doubts that he can improve. Only because he hasn’t proven otherwise. In year 4. 

What if the highest paid coach in the conference goes 5-7 and 7-5 the next 2 years? (Very possible) He’ll still Be above that 33% winning threshold. 

Just pay some transfers like SMU, and we're set for a while. We'll get College Gameday and Primetime ABC

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1