2007 the Craziest College Football Season of all time?

meangreen2016

2007 was indeed a messed up year. A quick recap:

1. North Texas hires a high school coach.

2. North Texas loses its first game of the season 79-10 at Oklahoma.

3. North Texas loses at SMU 45-31 even though Daniel Meager throws for something like 500 yards.

4. In a 31-21 win against Louisiana-Monroe, Casey Fitzgerald has one of the most memorable plays in recent North Texas history. 

5. On November 10th, Navy comes to Denton and a track meet ensues. North Texas can't stop the triple-option and Navy can't stop the Dodgeball. But Navy comes out on top 74-62.

6. North Texas wins it's second game of the season on November 24th against Western Kentucky, a transitioning Division I-AA team, in a driving sleet storm. Attendance at Fouts Field is about 500, there was a pre-game fight, and North Texas wins by one 27-26.

7. And finally, the first year of the Todd Dodge regime comes to an inglorious end against Florida International in the last game ever played in the Orange Bowl. North Texas loses 38-19 to a team that had not won a game in its last 23 tries.

2007 was indeed a messed up year.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

2007 was indeed a messed up year. A quick recap:

1. North Texas hires a high school coach.

2. North Texas loses its first game of the season 79-10 at Oklahoma.

3. North Texas loses at SMU 45-31 even though Daniel Meager throws for something like 500 yards.

4. In a 31-21 win against Louisiana-Monroe, Casey Fitzgerald has one of the most memorable plays in recent North Texas history. 

5. On November 10th, Navy comes to Denton and a track meet ensues. North Texas can't stop the triple-option and Navy can't stop the Dodgeball. But Navy comes out on top 74-62.

6. North Texas wins it's second game of the season on November 24th against Western Kentucky, a transitioning Division I-AA team, in a driving sleet storm. Attendance at Fouts Field is about 500, there was a pre-game fight, and North Texas wins by one 27-26.

7. And finally, the first year of the Todd Dodge regime comes to an inglorious end against Florida International in the last game ever played in the Orange Bowl. North Texas loses 38-19 to a team that had not won a game in its last 23 tries.

2007 was indeed a messed up year.

Don't forget the post-game fight too that included Vizza beaning someone in the head with a football.  One of many great throws from Vizza.  I'll never forget that game.  The band members seemed to outnumber the rest of us in the stands.  Felt like a scrimmage.

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Meager threw for 601 yards and afterwards while walking out of Ford alongside his parents one of our best supportive alumns & posters here didn’t see them and let his frustration loose with a “Meager sucks”.  All I could do was give him my best WTF look, turn and go another direction...LOL!

Rick

I've had some sad sad walks out of Ford. 

• Upvote 1

Give me the 2006 UNT season as our own personal craziest season ever.

1.) Beat SMU, but start the season 1-4

2.) QB controversies abound as we start 3 different quarterbacks and everyone wants to watch the great Woody Wilson

3.) Best/worst game in UNT history, as UNT beats FIU in 7 OT's 25-22.

4.) Darrell Dickey controversy

5.) Black jerseys

6.)we had over double the amount of turnovers as compared to touchdowns.

7.) then an offseason full of mattress mack and Todd Dodge