Still Something to Play For

Mean Green Matt

15 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I hear you but personally....my expectations for this team this season had nothing to do with Portland State

I get that, but its really more about being disappointed at missing out bigtime on these expectations that the team had. To many fans, its just time to walk away again. Look, MUTS had about 1/3rd of the people that were there for UH. I suspect that we won't see much more for the home game against UTEP and that UAB finale won't have 5000 people in attendance, guaranteed.

Until that part changes, no matter how things go around here, this program will never be anything better than it has been. No conference above ours will ever take us because our support lacks big time and it will get blamed for poor performing teams by these conference commissioners. If being a Lower G5 is our goal, and it might just be that, than what we have now will keep us in place. But a big crowd for bad teams does sell leaders in media, TV, and conferences on the idea that we would bring value to their leagues. Right now, even with SMU struggling to get butts in seats, the leaders of those institutions I just listed all seem super happy for them and believe they are somehow worthy of being the DFW school in their conference. That's what comes from being perceived as being bigger than they really are--and we do nothing to stop the perspective, which is so pathetic.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I get that, but its really more about being disappointed at missing out bigtime on these expectations that the team had. To many fans, its just time to walk away again. Look, MUTS had about 1/3rd of the people that were there for UH. I suspect that we won't see much more for the home game against UTEP and that UAB finale won't have 5000 people in attendance, guaranteed.

Until that part changes, no matter how things go around here, this program will never be anything better than it has been. No conference above ours will ever take us because our support lacks big time and it will get blamed for poor performing teams by these conference commissioners. If being a Lower G5 is our goal, and it might just be that, than what we have now will keep us in place. But a big crowd for bad teams does sell leaders in media, TV, and conferences on the idea that we would bring value to their leagues. Right now, even with SMU struggling to get butts in seats, the leaders of those institutions I just listed all seem super happy for them and believe they are somehow worthy of being the DFW school in their conference. That's what comes from being perceived as being bigger than they really are--and we do nothing to stop the perspective, which is so pathetic.

Make a winner then they will have attendance. UNT alum have time and time again showed up in numbers to support this program. But, they are not going to continue to show up and be embarrassed in every. single. big. game. That has been the theme. Ratchet up marketing to pull a big crowd....Pull said big crowd (record setting usually)....And lose in front of record setting big crowd. Rinse. Rather. Repeat. This program, if we're being honest with ourselves, does not deserve another big crowd until they can again prove they are winners. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I can list on one hand the programs that draw win or lose.

How was Clemson's season ticket sales 10 years ago? UT has had plenty of empty seats this year. What did Bama draw before Saban started winning.

This belief that it takes full stadiums when the program is losing to move up doesn't make sense because that's never happened. 

Win first then the crowd shows. To expect UNT fans to show when they're not winning is unrealistic because NO PROGRAM'S fans show when they're not winning. Why do people expect the burden to fall on the fans? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

To move up from the Lower G5 conference we are in--and right now, its the worst--we have to make the ones above us think that they need us. Look, the AAC lost UConn and saw nothing about us (or anyone else, so far,) to join their conference with UConn leaving. SMU has been able to stay above us because their attendance and ours has been announced as basically the same--no matter how much lying they may be doing, the networks and the conference leadership above CUSA seems to believe they draw as much as we do, plus they have name cachet from the Death Penalty days and before then. They have basically been terrible since 1989, until now, but not once has the college football world looked at their situation and considered us to be better than them for DFW presence.

We have no chance of getting any MWC attention, either, with our lack of support and lack of winning to even consider us either. And this one is worse because they could use the Texas market and have preferred to wait out the Big XII's demise to see what they can get then than get us. So when I tell you that CUSA is where we will be for many years to come and to get a new realignment of the SBCUSA, its completely because I don't see us ever having that kind of support from our own fans and that we need traveling fans to help us out with attendance and to lower our travel costs to help our bottom line.

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I can list on one hand the programs that draw win or lose.

How was Clemson's season ticket sales 10 years ago? UT has had plenty of empty seats this year. What did Bama draw before Saban started winning.

This belief that it takes full stadiums when the program is losing to move up doesn't make sense because that's never happened. 

Win first then the crowd shows. To expect UNT fans to show when they're not winning is unrealistic because NO PROGRAM'S fans show when they're not winning. Why do people expect the burden to fall on the fans? 

Yep.

"Customers should buy our garbage product if they want our garbage product to stop being garbage!" has always been the worst argument.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

100% this.   The "win" part is imperative as well.   
So we likely dont want the Frisco Bowl or anything against an AAC or top-tier MWC school... we want Bahamas or something against a MAC school.

Sad but true 

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

To move up from the Lower G5 conference we are in--and right now, its the worst--we have to make the ones above us think that they need us. Look, the AAC lost UConn and saw nothing about us (or anyone else, so far,) to join their conference with UConn leaving. SMU has been able to stay above us because their attendance and ours has been announced as basically the same--no matter how much lying they may be doing, the networks and the conference leadership above CUSA seems to believe they draw as much as we do, plus they have name cachet from the Death Penalty days and before then. They have basically been terrible since 1989, until now, but not once has the college football world looked at their situation and considered us to be better than them for DFW presence.

We have no chance of getting any MWC attention, either, with our lack of support and lack of winning to even consider us either. And this one is worse because they could use the Texas market and have preferred to wait out the Big XII's demise to see what they can get then than get us. So when I tell you that CUSA is where we will be for many years to come and to get a new realignment of the SBCUSA, its completely because I don't see us ever having that kind of support from our own fans and that we need traveling fans to help us out with attendance and to lower our travel costs to help our bottom line.

Jeez, untjim1995, all you are summarizing  & coming up with is making me feel like the time we were on the eve of becoming an NCAA 1-AA football program.  We lost  so many fans during the 1-AA years & I had to come up with a reason to hang around a program that would have us in a conference with Stephen F. “freakin” Austin U.  (Nothing personal, O Father of Texas). 

I hope before I croak that my era as a UNT student (which was the last to see four winning seasons in a row since the 70’s)  will see that feat at least one more time.  If it became 10+ winning seasons in a row there’d be no complaint from anyone I know.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1