Still Something to Play For

Mean Green Matt

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Fan4Life said:

Ok.  My statement on the players quitting was wrong.  I apologize for that.  They have way too much pride and desire to win.  What I meant to say was they are no longer supportive of much of the coaching decisions, play calling, and schemes.  It wasn’t quitting but rather no longer supporting its coaches (like it once did).  I’m sure the players are as tired of the game results as well. 

star wars GIF

• Upvote 1

Do you check Seth’s rebuilding skills or do you go get graham back and turn the ship over to a new coach to build fresh from the front. It’s a rebuild either way and I am concerned Littrell may not have this in him. It’s a whole new ball game and does he have the stomach?  Their are good recruits here and coming.

NewDenton doesn’t tolerate five year slides and shouldn’t. 

Turn it around or turn it over.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

Do you check Seth’s rebuilding skills or do you go get graham back and turn the ship over to a new coach to build fresh from the front. It’s a rebuild either way and I am concerned Littrell may not have this in him. It’s a whole new ball game and does he have the stomach?  Their are good recruits here and coming.

NewDenton doesn’t tolerate five year slides and shouldn’t. 

Turn it around or turn it over.

GMG

Bring Harrell as HC and get Eckles back as DC, and the world is right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Bring Harrell as HC and get Eckles back as DC, and the world is right. 

Why does our fan base think in this small time way?

Folks......there’s other options than just those we’ve already had.

We don’t have to regurgitate

If and when we hire another head coach,..in any sport,... we’ll go after the best we can afford, which is more than we have ever been able to afford before.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Why does our fan base think in this small time way?

Folks......there’s other options than just those we’ve already had.

We don’t have to regurgitate

If and when we hire another head coach,..in any sport,... we’ll go after the best we can afford, which is more than we have ever been able to afford before.

Rick

lol we all know Harrell ain't coming back and Eckler is somewhere. 

I would just like to have coaches that are stable here

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/27/2019 at 12:32 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

Very disappointing loss, but this team can still play its way to bowl eligibility. Is that a huge accomplishment ? No. Does it make the season a success? No. But I think we would all feel way better about next year if this team could end this season with some wins. 

I don’t know if 6-6 will get us a bowl. I wouldn’t be upset if it didn’t. But we aren’t in nothing at all to play for territory yet. We need to stay behind this team. 

If UTEP and Rice have raised the white flag on their season’s, we might win those.  La Tech will be ugly and i’am not confident about ODU at Apogee.  Now that I think about it, i’am not real confident about UTEP and Rice.  This isn’t fun.  I had a feeling Saturday’s game wouldn’t end well for us all last week.  Unfortunately I feel the same way about the rest of the schedule.  Let’s hope for a strong finish.

3 hours ago, NTEX91 said:

If UTEP and Rice have raised the white flag on their season’s, we might win those.  La Tech will be ugly and i’am not confident about ODU at Apogee.  Now that I think about it, i’am not real confident about UTEP and Rice.  This isn’t fun.  I had a feeling Saturday’s game wouldn’t end well for us all last week.  Unfortunately I feel the same way about the rest of the schedule.  Let’s hope for a strong finish.

I can, without a doubt, guarantee that we will NOT lose to ODU at Apogee this year.  Call it a premonition.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

I do not think anyone quit.. I think saturday, Charlotte went in a half and made adjustment to there offense. and we made no adjustments on defense.  Furthermore we made no adjustments as the game went on.   We need to get better at our front 7.  we need to have a way to get pressure on the QB/ stop the run.. The fact that English played a total of like 3 games during is time here hurts.  We have had lots of injuries in the secondary.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

I do not think anyone quit.. I think saturday, Charlotte went in a half and made adjustment to there offense. and we made no adjustments on defense.  Furthermore we made no adjustments as the game went on.   We need to get better at our front 7.  we need to have a way to get pressure on the QB/ stop the run.. The fact that English played a total of like 3 games during is time here hurts.  We have had lots of injuries in the secondary.  

There has been hardly any adjustments on defensive side of the ball....lazy coaching is all I’ve seen. No accountability at all and Littrell just sits back as usual. I miss those days when the defense had an attitude and swag about them. 

Shoot let Zach Orr and Marcus Trice coach the defense 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, dml7007 said:

not adjusting apparently is a requirement to be a coach at UNT, does not matter the salary. Just a culture thing apparently from DD, to Dodge, Mac, and now SL. 

• Eye Roll 2

16 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I can, without a doubt, guarantee that we will NOT lose to ODU at Apogee this year.  Call it a premonition.  

I really do hope you are right.  However, who would have thought we would blow a 28 pt halftime lead to ODU last year.  This program has a history of losing to teams we should not lose to.  It will just be another gut punch if a loss at home to ODU keeps the team from hitting 6.  I’ll be there to see Mason’s last game.  So sad the season has come to this.  GMG.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just realized my mistake.  We don’t play ODU this year.  That’s probably a good thing.  With UAB in for the last game I think we are looking at 5 and 7.  At least if it’s another loss it will be to a team with a winning record.

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2019 at 11:38 AM, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m getting a head ache just thinking about next weeks game. This team has been favored in every game except Cal and SMU...favored by 7.5 points against Houston.... I’m just so damn disappointed. 

Yup.  Disappointed and wondering what the  h... happened.

• Upvote 1

One thing about this team under Littrell....they CANNOT handle high expectations.

That comes from the head coach and is going to have to change. I would guess we'll be picked middle of the pack next season and off the radar. Because of that, they will probably play better but they are eventually going to have to deal with high expectations if they want to have sustained success...

That's the mental aspect that comes from the head coach. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

100% this.   The "win" part is imperative as well.   
So we likely dont want the Frisco Bowl or anything against an AAC or top-tier MWC school... we want Bahamas or something against a MAC school.

Beggars can’t be choosers....

Guys, I see us beating UTEP and that's probably it. Rice is better than their record and I can't remember the last time we won a road game. I give us little chance against La. Tech or UAB. However, assuming we somehow win 3 of last 4, does anyone think this team is bowl worthy at 6&6?

30 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

One thing about this team under Littrell....they CANNOT handle high expectations.

That comes from the head coach and is going to have to change. I would guess we'll be picked middle of the pack next season and off the radar. Because of that, they will probably play better but they are eventually going to have to deal with high expectations if they want to have sustained success...

That's the mental aspect that comes from the head coach. 

I’m not sure our fanbase can handle expectations either. Look at how many posters had us winning 10+ games, CUSA West, and CUSA itself, as well as a bowl game. Now that we lost any chance of that happening, look at how many people have bailed on even attending a home game. That’s not handling expectations either....it wasn’t that long ago that we were the worst program in the FBS and suffered the worst loss in modern times.

i had us with 8 wins,  with La Tech winning CUSA West and  CUSA. Even that was too high, as I thought we would score a lot of points and beat people by outscoring them, like we did to MUTS. I saw no reason to see our team defending physical teams. But we have wasted Mason Fine’s senior year and he has been beaten to a pulp. So expecting  bowl berth seems irrational at best.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sig381 said:

Now the new goal. Get to a bowl game and win it. All else is a failure. 

This season became a failure the moment we let 2-5 Charlotte crawl back and win it late in the 4th if it wasn't already a failure getting demolished in our OOC schedule. Given the pre-season expectations to win the conference, the Mason Fine Heisman hype, and some people expecting us to go 4-0 in our OOC with big wins over P5 schools, this season has been a disaster. No mediocre bowl win is going to change that.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m not sure our fanbase can handle expectations either. Look at how many posters had us winning 10+ games, CUSA West, and CUSA itself, as well as a bowl game. Now that we lost any chance of that happening, look at how many people have bailed on even attending a home game. That’s not handling expectations either....it wasn’t that long ago that we were the worst program in the FBS and suffered the worst loss in modern times.

i had us with 8 wins,  with La Tech winning CUSA West and  CUSA. Even that was too high, as I thought we would score a lot of points and beat people by outscoring them, like we did to MUTS. I saw no reason to see our team defending physical teams. But we have wasted Mason Fine’s senior year and he has been beaten to a pulp. So expecting  bowl berth seems irrational at best.

I too had us at 8 on the basis of it being like a 2017 season where the offense has to pick up the defense all year long. Sheesh, I was wrong.