Still Something to Play For

Mean Green Matt

Very disappointing loss, but this team can still play its way to bowl eligibility. Is that a huge accomplishment ? No. Does it make the season a success? No. But I think we would all feel way better about next year if this team could end this season with some wins. 

I don’t know if 6-6 will get us a bowl. I wouldn’t be upset if it didn’t. But we aren’t in nothing at all to play for territory yet. We need to stay behind this team. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

It’s crazy to think about right!  I mean as freaking bizarre this season has been I somehow see us winning against utep rice and uab and losing at la tech. We get invited to Frisco with a big crowd and win our first bowl game under Littrell. It’s the strangest ending for the strangest season in forever.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Very disappointing loss, but this team can still play its way to bowl eligibility. Is that a huge accomplishment ? No. Does it make the season a success? No. But I think we would all feel way better about next year if this team could end this season with some wins. 

I don’t know if 6-6 will get us a bowl. I wouldn’t be upset if it didn’t. But we aren’t in nothing at all to play for territory yet. We need to stay behind this team. 

I will go to the bowl game in a goddamn skirt if we make it to one. I ****ing promise.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, NM Green said:

It’s crazy to think about right!  I mean as freaking bizarre this season has been I somehow see us winning against utep rice and uab and losing at la tech. We get invited to Frisco with a big crowd and win our first bowl game under Littrell. It’s the strangest ending for the strangest season in forever.

GMG

I think 6-6 is still a very legitimate possibility. Whether that will be good enough or not (to get a bowl) I’ve done no research on. 

10 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Definitely gut check time for the team and coaching staff Matt.  The player’s leadership council needs to step up and right this ship.  We recruit for culture and character.  Time to find out what these young men are made of.  

I’m still in 100%.  Go Mean Green!  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m getting a head ache just thinking about next weeks game. This team has been favored in every game except Cal and SMU...favored by 7.5 points against Houston.... I’m just so damn disappointed. 

We are just flat out not a good team. NT better understand why the stands are empty and when the players look around at the emptiness they need to understand its 100 percent their fault. You don't lose like they did yesterday. They quit.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m getting a head ache just thinking about next weeks game. This team has been favored in every game except Cal and SMU...favored by 7.5 points against Houston.... I’m just so damn disappointed. 

Personally I"m just sick to death of losing to every start up program that comes along. Starting with South Florida and all the other Florida who's? in early 2000 to our current loses to ODU and Charlotte.  If we had another game scheduled with Abilene Christian next year, I'd lobby for cancelling it. Speaking of which, I came away with an uneasy feeling after ACU scored 31 points on us. Turns out it was more than just a feeling.

• Upvote 1

This team has quit on their coach.  Their coach has quit on the team.  No one is accountable for their lack of performance.  I’m tired of the apathy from coaches and the “I’m just here to collect a check attitudes.”  Attendance and fan support is exponentially dwindling (and rightfully so).   If this weren’t enough, I see no offensive or defensive line help coming in committed recruits and no coaching emphasis on changing this deficiency.  It’s time to clear house.  Some will roll eyes or disagree.  But, serious question.  How far backward must we go to undo the progress that was made in SL’s early success?   For me, we have reached that point. 

• Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

This whole “the players quit” thing is over the top. Our defense is just awful. That’s all there is to it. It’s been atrocious all year. If you go back several years and comb through the scores “/defensive stats of our games, it’s been pretty consistently terrible. Yesterday was no different. Things went downhill on that side of the ball and it snowballed into a failure of epic proportions.

To insinuate that players like Mason, Siggers, Shorter, Darden and Lawerence amongst others were just laying down is insulting and unwarranted.

Defense is horrible. Out of the 8 games we have played, we have only held two teams under 30 points and both of those teams had horrible offenses. Three of the eight put up over 40 on us and Charlotte came real close to putting up 40. When an FCS team drops over 30 on you, it points to a bad defense.

• Lovely Take 1

Ok.  My statement on the players quitting was wrong.  I apologize for that.  They have way too much pride and desire to win.  What I meant to say was they are no longer supportive of much of the coaching decisions, play calling, and schemes.  It wasn’t quitting but rather no longer supporting its coaches (like it once did).  I’m sure the players are as tired of the game results as well. 

• Upvote 2