UTEP

southsideguy

Can we win?  Every week I think the defense will finally come around but now I have given up on them.   We started the season bad and we are getting worse each week.  I will make the UAB game to say goodbye to Mason and the rest of the graduating class.  With this transfer portal, I think Bussey  and Shorter will be gone and possible Martin.  I think Martin has the strongest arm of the back up qb but no qb can be successful if he does not have offense line that can block.  I don't think we will lose anyone on defense to the portal. Is there  anyone on defense that some would want.  SL better make a change at DC because I think the defense has lost faith in him.   This is two years In a row of bad defense,  remember all those games we lost last year in the second half.

I will continue to support the team but I will no longer expect a win.  Every team took the SMU film and used it and we came up with nothing to stop it.  The defense does the same thing week in and week out.  Leaving cbs on an island when they can't cover their grandmother.  Running qb, we have no answer for, LaTech will be ugly.  I think UTEP is the only game we have a shot at winning and I would not bet on that game.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

UTEP's D-line seems to play the run OK, but have not been real good on pass rushing. Think we will have good chances to turn short passes into long gains/

QB's seem very inconsistent, but they look like they can scramble (listened to part of their coaches show yesterday and they emphasized how well opposing team QB's have ran against us)

On paper we should win but if our D plays like it did in the 2nd half last week and the Miners cut out on the mistakes and penalties it could be close. We seem to be a team that brings out the best in UTEP. Hopefully we do not try and make another QB look like an All American this week.

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

We will win ?  Easily ?  Please recall we got beat by a Charlotte team that was 1-5 when we got to town and we are playing a 1-6 UTEP team that is perfectly aligned to beat us at Apogee. 

Nobody wants success for North Texas more than me but I'm terrified of everything this team does for the rest of the season. 

Rice worries me more than UTEP to be completely honest. We will win, but I cant sit here and tell you its going to be a blow out.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

We will win ?  Easily ?  Please recall we got beat by a Charlotte team that was 1-5 when we got to town and we are playing a 1-6 UTEP team that is perfectly aligned to beat us at Apogee. 

Nobody wants success for North Texas more than me but I'm terrified of everything this team does for the rest of the season. 

I don't think it's possible.

Has any team ever lost games to two Danas in the same season?

Has any team ever lost two games in a row to pickers?

No. No. And no, we're not gonna lose to UTEP. 

But, as I stated earlier, the victory is wasted if we are not using it to prepare for future games.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

We were supposed to crush win-less UTEP last year and barely squeaked out a 27-24 win. We were supposed to crush 1-5 Charlotte this year and we lost. We weren't supposed to lose to Charlotte up by a touchdown with them all the way back on our 34 yard line with 18 seconds left in the game but we did. This team is so inconsistent that I'm afraid that literally anything can and will happen. Back to the question, can we win? Of course. Will we win? Not even I can say that for certainty

• Upvote 2

If we win one game annually, this is it. I know or am related to way to many UTEP graduates. Thankfully this guy's dad told him to avoid attending his own former Texas Western in favor of North Texas where I wanted to go anyway. It was an easy decision... Played ball 4 years and my Mrs. did the same in soccer. 

Anyway, screw UTEP. Especially after blowing us out when we needed that 6th win. Blow them out Saturday.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

If we win one game annually, this is it. I know or am related to way to many UTEP graduates. Thankfully this guy's dad told him to avoid attending his own former Texas Western in favor of North Texas where I wanted to go anyway. It was an easy decision... Played ball 4 years and my Mrs. did the same in soccer. 

Anyway, screw UTEP. Especially after blowing us out when we needed that 6th win. Blow them out Saturday.

Two of my kids graduated from UTEP. I need us to win!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Charlotte was 2-5 (now 3-5), but continue on...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

If you lose at home to UTEP, you aren't beating anyone else...

But we will beat them--and probably badly. UTEP is awful. What will amaze me is the number of people who will think we are back after we beat the Miners, like we felt after beating UTSA. These two teams are amongst the 10 worst FBS team in the country.

Right now, if you look at our schedule, this is probably our last sure win. We might be able to get a win or two the rest of the way, but its far from assured. At this point, 5 wins seems like its the most likely total we get in 2019. The silver lining for this is hoping that SL learns from all of this and realizes that they have to prioritize defense, from recruiting to coaching, because right now, that side of the ball (on and off the field) is just putrid. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:44 PM, southsideguy said:

Can we win?  Every week I think the defense will finally come around but now I have given up on them.   We started the season bad and we are getting worse each week.  I will make the UAB game to say goodbye to Mason and the rest of the graduating class.  With this transfer portal, I think Bussey  and Shorter will be gone and possible Martin.  I think Martin has the strongest arm of the back up qb but no qb can be successful if he does not have offense line that can block.  I don't think we will lose anyone on defense to the portal. Is there  anyone on defense that some would want.  SL better make a change at DC because I think the defense has lost faith in him.   This is two years In a row of bad defense,  remember all those games we lost last year in the second half.

I will continue to support the team but I will no longer expect a win.  Every team took the SMU film and used it and we came up with nothing to stop it.  The defense does the same thing week in and week out.  Leaving cbs on an island when they can't cover their grandmother.  Running qb, we have no answer for, LaTech will be ugly.  I think UTEP is the only game we have a shot at winning and I would not bet on that game.

I doubt Shorter or Martin are going anywhere.   They have both used up their redshirt year and would lose a year of eligibility.  The transfer portal is mostly a graduate transfer tool.  

As fans, most of us have no idea what the relationship between Littrell and his players are.  I suspect it is better than you think. 

As bad as the defense has played, and it can't get any worse than the second half of the Charlotte game, there is still a little hope left that they can turn it around enough to still win some games.  

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

If you lose at home to UTEP, you aren't beating anyone else...

But we will beat them--and probably badly. UTEP is awful. What will amaze me is the number of people who will think we are back after we beat the Miners, like we felt after beating UTSA. These two teams are amongst the 10 worst FBS team in the country.

Right now, if you look at our schedule, this is probably our last sure win. We might be able to get a win or two the rest of the way, but its far from assured. At this point, 5 wins seems like its the most likely total we get in 2019. The silver lining for this is hoping that SL learns from all of this and realizes that they have to prioritize defense, from recruiting to coaching, because right now, that side of the ball (on and off the field) is just putrid. 

I wasn't satisfied with the UTSA win. Sure we allowed 3 points, but I knew Houston was gonna blow us out. Luckily for us, King decided to not play. 

Also let's not forget that we beat UTEP by 3 last year! Usually we do fine against UTEP here at Apogee, but I have a bad feeling

• Sad 1