Our DC

GMoney

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

Bring in Frank Wilson as DC after this season. 

He can't coach offense but he knows defense well, and he is a proven recruiter.

And like the 1990's Oilers with Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan, Frank would be permitted to punch Bodie Reeder when necessary.

buddypunch.gif

He may not take a job at a G5 unless it's as a HC, but one thing for certain about Wilson over SL, he had the balls to fire his OC last year when things were not working. He didn't hire a better one or at least it seems he didn't, but he had the balls to make a change. I'm not sure if SL has the balls to fire anyone that he has hired. I believe Nate Brown leaving was a Reffett call. I hope he grows a pair and we have a new DC by Monday. If he doesn't, then he may not be the HC we need.

• Haha 3

I would not blame the defensive issues on the coach solely. The players have some say. But if you do have the players that fit your system then your not recruiting the right players  and  the  coach’s are not recognizing the talent. They are not adjusting. The coach needs to be replaced   

• Thanks 2

We're going to see if Littrell is ready to step up and be the CEO of a team. I don't believe he's had to fire a coach for lack of performance...especially one the profile of a DC.

He doesn't have a choice though. Next season can be a decent season if he gets the right coach in here. We have some talent coming up...

But I'm not focused on Reffett...he is what he is. He has to go.

Will Littrell do the right thing? That's all that matters now.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

We're going to see if Littrell is ready to step up and be the CEO of a team. I don't believe he's had to fire a coach for lack of performance...especially one the profile of a DC.

He doesn't have a choice though. Next season can be a decent season if he gets the right coach in here. We have some talent coming up...

But I'm not focused on Reffett...he is what he is. He has to go.

Will Littrell do the right thing? That's all that matters now.

Reffett will not be here next year

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 4
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Reffett seems like a good guy. Old school, tough, hard nosed coach. However, our defense is supposed to be an attacking one that gets pressure on the qb. It simply does not do that and our weak secondary gets exposed. I hope we change defensive philosophies next year and get a new DC in here. It's a results based business. Unfortunately, the defense is not producing the proper results.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

if my call he would have been gone after UTEP put 50 on us in year one. We have wasted 4 years of Mason FIne, the greatest quarterback in UNT history.It all the same stuff. zero pressure. CB dont look back for the ball.. all the same for 4 years in a row. 4 years and zero bowl wins is unacceptable with the talent we have had.

Yup. This game has always resonated with me. 

They were 3-8 and we were 5-6 on the cusp of eligibility. And we let a 3-win UTEP team drop 50 on us. Sort of told me everything I needed to know about this staff. And, if we're being honest, not a whole lot has changed since except for having some of the easiest schedules in college football history. 

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you had to guess,.... what percentage of defensive plays would you think we blitz on?  I’d guess 1 in 15 or about 6%?

One of our more astute alumn/donors brought this point up tonight.  It feels like we rarely blitz and hardly ever get pressure on the QB.  

So,......if your going to risk it and run a wide open offense..(Tee It High..blah blah).....then why in hell would you not risk it and run a wide open defense and blitz the crap out of someone?  At this point what’s the harm, you might give up a 75 yard TD in 6 plays?

Rick

Or we could rush 3 and give up a 75yd TD.

• Upvote 1

Ya know, I came to this thread because I saw something that I rarely see.....Gmoney starting a thread. Mr. M. rarely posts. And when he does, it's usually along the lines of "let's think this thing through" .........aka the voice of reason. Mr. M. is a former player (mostly defensive back) who played for Corkey Nelson and Dennis Parker. So, for whatever my opinion is worth on this board,  when I saw that he started a thread, and then shockingly saw that he advocated for the immediate removal of the DC......then that DC needs to go!

In case you missed it, here is our record under SL and his DC up to this point. 

North Texas Mean Green Schedule 2019

Add to Calendar

Regular Season
DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L (CONF) HI PASS HI RUSH HI REC
Sat, Aug 31 W51-31 1-0 (0-0) Fine 383 Torrey 95 Bussey Jr. 156
Sat, Sep 7
@SMUSMU
L49-27 1-1 (0-0) Fine 152 Siggers 164 Darden 59
Sat, Sep 14 L23-17 1-2 (0-0) Fine 208 Siggers 90 Darden 75
Sat, Sep 21
vsUTSAUTSA
W45-3 2-2 (1-0) Fine 195 Siggers 143 Torrey 60
Sat, Sep 28 L46-25 2-3 (1-0) Fine 353 Siggers 83 Lawrence 120
Sat, Oct 12 L45-27 2-4 (1-1) Fine 217 Torrey 61 Darden 87
Sat, Oct 19 W33-30 3-4 (2-1) Fine 375 Easly 99 Darden 125
Sat, Oct 26 L39-38 3-5 (2-2) Fine 394 Siggers 131 Shorter 111
DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
Sat, Nov 2
vsUTEPUTEP
2:30 PM
NFL
Tickets as low as $19 
Sat, Nov 9 3:00 PM   Tickets as low as $18 
Sat, Nov 23
@RiceRice
2:30 PM
NFL
Tickets as low as $8 
Sat, Nov 30
vsUABUAB
3:00 PM   Tickets as low as $18 

2018-North Texas (CUSA)

9/1 vs. Southern Methodist (5-7) W 46 23
9/8 vs. Incarnate Word (non-IA) W 58 16
9/15 @ Arkansas (2-10) W 44 17
9/22 @ Liberty (6-6) W 47 7
9/29 vs. *Louisiana Tech (8-5) L 27 29
10/6 @ *Texas-El Paso (1-11) W 27 24
10/13 vs. *Southern Mississippi (6-5) W 30 7
10/20 @ *Alabama-Birmingham (11-3) L 21 29
10/27 vs. *Rice (2-11) W 41 17
11/10 @ *Old Dominion (4-8) L 31 34
11/15 vs. *Florida Atlantic (5-7) W 41 38
11/24 @ *Texas-San Antonio (3-9) W 24 21
12/15 vs. Utah State (11-2) L 13 52 @ Albuquerque, NM New Mexico Bowl

9-4-0

450 314

2017-North Texas (CUSA)

9/2 vs. Lamar (non-IA) W 59 14
9/9 @ Southern Methodist (7-6) L 32 54
9/16 @ Iowa (8-5) L 14 31
9/23 vs. *Alabama-Birmingham (8-5) W 46 43
9/30 @ *Southern Mississippi (8-5) W 43 28
10/14 vs. *Texas-San Antonio (6-5) W 29 26
10/21 @ *Florida Atlantic (11-3) L 31 69
10/28 vs. *Old Dominion (5-7) W 45 38
11/4 @ *Louisiana Tech (7-6) W 24 23
11/11 vs. *Texas-El Paso (0-12) W 45 10
11/18 vs. Army (10-3) W 52 49
11/25 @ *Rice (1-11) W 30 14
12/2 vs. *Florida Atlantic (11-3) L 17 41 @ Boca Raton, FL CUSA Championship
12/16 vs. Troy (11-2) L 30 50 @ New Orleans, LA New Orleans Bowl

9-5-0

497 490

2016-North Texas (CUSA)

9/3 vs. Southern Methodist (5-7) L 21 34
9/10 vs. Bethune-Cookman (non-IA) W 41 20
9/17 @ Florida (9-4) L 0 32
9/24 @ *Rice (3-9) W 42 35
10/1 vs. *Middle Tennessee State (8-5) L 13 30
10/8 vs. *Marshall (3-9) W 38 21
10/22 @ Army (8-5) W 35 18
10/29 @ *Texas-San Antonio (6-7) L 17 31
11/5 vs. *Louisiana Tech (9-5) L 24 45
11/12 @ *Western Kentucky (11-3) L 7 45
11/19 vs. *Southern Mississippi (7-6) W 29 23
11/26 @ *Texas-El Paso (4-8) L 24 52
12/27 vs. Army (8-5) L 31 38 @ Dallas, TX Heart of Dallas Bowl

5-8-0

322 424

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They were 3-8 and we were 5-6 on the cusp of eligibility. And we let a 3-win UTEP team drop 50 on us. Sort of told me everything I needed to know about this staff. And, if we're being honest, not a whole lot has changed since except for having some of the easiest schedules in college football history. 

Don’t forget that Aaron Jones has like 300 rushing yards

• Upvote 1

When I asked do we have a DC I meant it seriously.  Reffet should have been fired at the completion of last season.  If the reported rumor is true about why Seth's negotiation with KSU fell through you can't blame KSU.  The two most important ways to judge coaches in college are 1. What they do with the talent available to them and 2. What the quality of talent they can recruit.  Reffet's defense has yet to keep a fully functional FBS defense well under its scoring average to the season.  While Reffet is bad Seth's faith in him is more concerning for this program long term.   The circumstances might have dictated that Seth get a raise but they definitely did not warrant a 2023 guaranteed season.   Ideally I would want to see the 2020 team without  Mason to really evaluate whether this is the guy or not.  

All that said it is clear that we don't have a DC.  We have a guy who has that title exclusively because he has a good relationship with the HC or the HC thinks is actually good for some unknown reason.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

Serious question. If SL fires Ref this week, who do you think would call the defense? Also, do you think the defense would change or would we continue running 3-3-5? I personally think we would keep 3-3-5 because it's so late in the season, but part of me says change it because you can't do any worse defensively. What are board members thought?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Venson said:

Serious question. If SL fires Ref this week, who do you think would call the defense? Also, do you think the defense would change or would we continue running 3-3-5? I personally think we would keep 3-3-5 because it's so late in the season, but part of me says change it because you can't do any worse defensively. What are board members thought?

Jennings, and it would be awfully difficult to install a 4-man front defense in the middle of the season, so I’d bet the scheme would remain in place.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Jennings, and it would be awfully difficult to install a 4-man front defense in the middle of the season, so I’d bet the scheme would remain in place.

Jennings I think would do a decent job. I thought maybe they would go with Scott because he seems to have more DC experience, but so did Ref and we see where he has gotten us.

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

if my call he would have been gone after UTEP put 50 on us in year one.

But we were putting up offensive numbers such as 41 on Bethune-Cookeman,  42 on Rice, 38 on Marshall, 35 On Army.  We just had to outscore the opponent you know,... Tee’ing It High if you will.  That’s all that mattered.

So the biggest question is this,...will changing DC’s change that philosophy?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

4 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

But we were putting up offensive numbers such as 41 on Bethune-Cookeman,  42 on Rice, 38 on Marshall, 35 On Army.  We just had to outscored the opponent.  Tee’ing It High if you will.  That’s all that mattered.

So the biggest question is this,...will changing DC’s change that philosophy?

Rick

I think it will change the philosophy over to let's get stops and turnovers so that our offense can Tee it high and let it fly. Now the philosophy seems to be bend, bend, break and rely on the offense to save us because they Tee it high and let it fly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Don’t forget that Aaron Jones has like 300 rushing yards

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I was at that game and it was truly an embarrassment. UTEP family and other fans; of all people, clowning me about making Aaron Jones look like a Heisman candidate and knocking us out of bowl contention. This defense has never stepped up when it has mattered and I am fed up

• Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

UTEP family and other fans; of all people, clowning me about making Aaron Jones look like a Heisman candidate and knocking us out of bowl contention. T

Did you tell them the joke was on them because our APR score was going to get us in a bowl game anyway???

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1