***OFFICIAL UNT vs CHARLOTTE FAN IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

27 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Hope. With a chaser of incompetence.

Benford killed me because I thought we were on the cusp of something. And then we obviously weren't... And we flat out refused to fix the situation. 

Anyone who thought/hoped/believed this was going to be a coach and a season to remember (in a positive way) is probably feeling the same way. 

It's never fun to get kicked in the dick. But when your default posture is hands-over-balls and legs together, it doesn't hurt as badly as when you let your guard down and suffer an unguarded shot to the groin. 

Anybody who believed the preseason press on this team set themselves up for disappointment.  We lost too many key cogs from last year’s defense and we’re filling their spots (in most cases) with first year guys.  It shows.  So many missed assignments out there today, and every game.  Our back 8 is just lost and playing with ZERO confidence.

The Benford year was different.  We had unbelievable talent on that team, at least relative to what we usually see here at UNT.  I went into it thinking that Benford wasn’t going to be as good as JJ, but didn’t expect him to be Trilli.  Then, as you said, we refused to fix it for FIVE years.  That’s all it took for me.  Expectations lowered.  We simply didn’t have enough donors to do anything about that mess...at least donors interested in basketball.

We are spending big in football now.  That comes with big expectations from the folks donating that much money.  I don’t expect it’ll take long to see some changes.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Can't wait to hear the kool-aide drinkers support Seth if he does not make coaching changes.

Everything that has been invested the past few years into this program and this is by far Seth's worst team

I am a Littrell fan and nothing has changed from my post over a week ago pointing out the changing culture, how he had to rebuild relationships with HS programs that McCarney ignored, etc...  Recruiting has been on the way up the past two years and this year looks to be another great class in the making. All of this talent is young at this point.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

Just now, UNTLifer said:

I am a Littrell fan and nothing has changed from my post over a week ago pointing out the changing culture, how he had to rebuild relationships with HS programs that McCarney ignored, etc...  Recruiting has been on the way up the past two years and this year looks to be another great class in the making. All of this talent is young at this point.   

Ohhhh...I see. Well I guess we will just have to wait to beat powerhouses like UNCC when all of this young talent develops, I reckon. Schucks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

As bad as the D is, we still should have won this game. If Littrell is really some offensive guru, why on earth would he allow a bootleg to the short side of the field with essentially one target option on 3rd and 6 with the game on the line. I’m all for putting it in your best players hands to ice it, but give him something better to work with than that. 

3 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Could it? I mean, I know we say this all the time, but I'm at 25 years of this (much less than many) and I don't see it. 

We've NEVER had a season of national relevance. We've had one or two games EVER that anyone paid attention to. 

I mean, I guess maybe we COULD be a monster, the same way my nephew COULD be president of Earth someday, but I've seen nothing in his life to indicate that's a realistic path for the lazy turd. 

Our athletics, the "window to our University", is the "lazy turd nephew" of college sports.... except it's 100 years old. 

So, you know, I'm tired of hearing about potential. At some point, we have to show up in recruiting, winning, getting players drafted, making noise on the national scene. Unfortunately, I'm at a point now where I'm just gonna have to hear about it, because I can't keep spending my time and money on this stuff year after year. 

So props to those who keep coming back to this. It's gonna take a lot more than 2 decent seasons in a bottom barrel conference to get me back. 

I can't tell you why this season or this loss is it for me after so much garbage the last few decades. Just old I guess. 

This right here is where I got out at the end of the Dodge years.  I came back and dabbled a bit with Mac.  But I am probably right here now.  I listen when I can, but I rarely spend much time at or money with the games.  Just don't have it in me anymore.

27 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Fire the entire coaching staff. The gig is up, this crew is not good. Capitalize on the things that are going well with the program and find a better HC to take the reigns and run with the ball.

I'm not sure Wren has the resolve to fire the guy who's scrubbing the toilets at Apogee, much less make any coaching moves.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

From Vito’s article-

“Charlotte finished with 589 yards, its highest total against a Football Bowl Subdivision opponent. The 49ers are in their fifth season as an FBS program.”

Let that last sentence sink in.

Hear that, Wren and Seth?  Reffet sucks. Fire him. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Anybody who believed the preseason press on this team set themselves up for disappointment.  We lost too many key cogs from last year’s defense and we’re filling their spots (in most cases) with first year guys.  It shows.  So many missed assignments out there today, and every game.  Our back 8 is just lost and playing with ZERO confidence.

I was wondering how long it would take before this point came up.  I saw someone else mentioned missing Jordan Roberts as well (which I wholeheartedly agree)...

So which is it?  Reff sucks, or the players suck?  I honestly think it’s more of the latter because we saw what the scheme can do with good players in it last season.   Heck, it was 21-7 at halftime of this game!!  That’s a good defensive effort!

Biting my tongue so hard to not throw several DBs names out.  The last 2 seasons’ recruiting classes had some VERY NICE DBs (probably the strength of both classes).  We need to start seeing them ASAP, & less of 3 specific dudes whose jersey #s happen to be in sequential order.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So which is it?  Reff sucks, or the players suck?  I honestly think it’s more of the latter because we saw what the scheme can do with good players in it last season.   Heck, it was 21-7 at halftime of this game!!  That’s a good defensive effort!

I think it’s obvious that we lost some guys from the defense last year that were going to be hard to immediately replace. Every team goes through that from time to time. But, if we simply don’t have the personnel to play that defensive scheme this year, then my question is why are we playing it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 2

12 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Hope. With a chaser of incompetence.

Benford killed me because I thought we were on the cusp of something. And then we obviously weren't... And we flat out refused to fix the situation. 

Anyone who thought/hoped/believed this was going to be a coach and a season to remember (in a positive way) is probably feeling the same way. 

It's never fun to get kicked in the dick. But when your default posture is hands-over-balls and legs together, it doesn't hurt as badly as when you let your guard down and suffer an unguarded shot to the groin. 

This reminds me of the Tony Mitchell season. So much hope with a thud! I hate this, but really hate it for Mason! Where are all our preseason all conf players? Sucks!

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

When you have one of the best college QB’s in the nation and you lose against Charlotte, all criticism against Littrell is warranted.

The culture change is great, but this fan base refuses to step back into the deep abyss of shit that we are this year and we were for the past 20 years. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think it’s obvious that we lost some guys from the defense last year that were going to be hard to immediately replace. Every team goes through that from time to time. But, if we simply don’t have the personnel to play that defensive scheme this year, then my question is why are we playing it.  

Precisely. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PerryG2480 said:

Also, Seth always preaches that our guys need to be the most excited to play. They haven’t looked like the more excited team to play all season long. The body language says it all.

I watched the replay last night. I thought they looked REALLY fired up after getting that first 3-and-out.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I was wondering how long it would take before this point came up.  I saw someone else mentioned missing Jordan Roberts as well (which I wholeheartedly agree)...

Biting my tongue so hard to not throw several DBs names out.  The last 2 seasons’ recruiting classes had some VERY NICE DBs (probably the strength of both classes).  We need to start seeing them ASAP, & less of 3 specific dudes whose jersey #s happen to be in sequential order.

Yep. 

7 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

And what scheme would you recommend we play?

7 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Good question.  But I look at it a bit differently.  

All those hard to replace guys were still part of a defense that helped blow three leads in games we lost including a 28-0 lead to ODU that began by giving up a 65 yard TD in 3 plays late 2nd quarter.

Did we lose some people?  Sure, but they shouldn’t have been this irreplaceable to where we help a 5 year start up set an all time school record.  

Rick

• Upvote 6