SMU & HIGH SCHOOL RECRUITS

meangreenbob

39 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

So if SMU signed 31 transfers last year does anyone know how many high school recruits they signed? 

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

By eye-balling it, it looks like around 16.  Not sure where the 31 transfers comes from.  According to this list there was 16 transfers in the 2019 class.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, keith said:

By eye-balling it, it looks like around 16.  Not sure where the 31 transfers comes from.  According to this list there was 16 transfers in the 2019 class.  

The announcers on ESPN mentioned the 31 transfers during the game last night. Of course that doesn’t make it accurate. Was just wondering. 

Edited by meangreenbob

24 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Some transfers, especially potential star players are receiving football scholarships, but a committed high school player must be run off to make room for each one of those.

According to our friend Leopold, they are scouring the transfer portal and offering 'academic scholarships' to players that will transfer and play football at SMU.

This has got to be setting off alarms at the NCAA and it wouldn't surprise me if a P5 school like TCU doesn't file a formal complaint.

If a football player is on scholarship of any kind (academic, some other sport, etc...) it counts towards the 25/85.   So it's not like offering a football player an academic scholarship is going to skirt the rules.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Just beat me to it. Exactly.

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I really don’t know where this 31 number people keep using is coming from.

According to 247, looks like they signed 16 high schoolers, 3 jucos, and 16 D1transfers. Not sure how many of those D1 transfers were given scholarships, and I know one of them (DeAndre McNeal) left and went back to FAU.

And of their 22 starters, I only see 3 that are D1 transfers they picked up this offseason, 2 are D1 transfers from the year before, and 2 more are D1 transfers from 2017. 15 of their 22 starters were signed to SMU out of HS or JUCO.

But the narrative that gets spread on here has most people believing they got most of their starting lineup overnight from other D1 schools, and that’s just not true.

In fairness, your reply was much more thorough.  

Edited by keith

Not sure if 31 or 16 is accurate, but i sure do remember during the lead up to our game, Dykes mentioned that he had 60+ new players on the roster this year.  I am still very confused how you bring that many bodies in during a single year, but they will have to pay the piper at some point i would imagine.

3 hours ago, ADLER said:

Some transfers, especially potential star players are receiving football scholarships, but a committed high school player must be run off to make room for each one of those.

According to our friend Leopold, they are scouring the transfer portal and offering 'academic scholarships' to players that will transfer and play football at SMU.

This has got to be setting off alarms at the NCAA and it wouldn't surprise me if a P5 school like TCU doesn't file a formal complaint.

If an academic scholarship counts against the limit, then it counts against the limit.  So be it, and it makes sense to me.  I feel confident Sonny can handle the player management aspects of this.  

Here is a list of the 16 transfers we landed this offseason: https://247sports.com/college/smu/LongFormArticle/Shane-Buechele-Richard-McBryde-Thomas-Shelmire-Kedrick-James-Chevin-Calloway-CamRon-Jones-SMU-Mustangs-college-football-transfers-new-players-134499064/#134499064_3 

Notice at the end of the article the specific mention of the 'walk-on' transfers.  

1 hour ago, SMUleopold said:

If an academic scholarship counts against the limit, then it counts against the limit.  So be it, and it makes sense to me.  I feel confident Sonny can handle the player management aspects of this.  

Here is a list of the 16 transfers we landed this offseason: https://247sports.com/college/smu/LongFormArticle/Shane-Buechele-Richard-McBryde-Thomas-Shelmire-Kedrick-James-Chevin-Calloway-CamRon-Jones-SMU-Mustangs-college-football-transfers-new-players-134499064/#134499064_3 

Notice at the end of the article the specific mention of the 'walk-on' transfers.  

Walk-on transfers to SMU...they have to have already graduated and don’t have to pay that tuition then. That’s the only above-board way that works.