J. Guyton

edcollopy

52 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

No?

It just seems like if he would've stayed and had another good year he could've actually been drafted. The difference between a draft pick and a practice squad player is big bucks....

There is almost zero advantage to being taken in the 6th and 7th vs choosing where you land among UDFA suitors. He already had his degree, he did plenty for UNT, it was the best choice. 

He wouldn't be doing jack to improve his draft stock here, if his very good pro day times didn't springboard him there nothing would, especially not a season in Reeder's offense.

Him and Brooks are the only two who are on practice squads, his talent has been proven.

It is best for all parties anyways as the experience Greg White, Shorter, Ogunmakin and Simpson are gaining taking over Guyton (and Bussey's) snaps is invaluable moving forward. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

No?

It just seems like if he would've stayed and had another good year he could've actually been drafted. The difference between a draft pick and a practice squad player is big bucks....

I doubt very seriously that he made the decision to leave on a whim. I’m sure he consulted agents, scouts, and our coaching staff before finalizing his decision.

Another thing and I can’t stress this enough, he was not a true junior leaving early to chase a nfl check, he was a graduate of UNT who left high school the same year as Kyler Murray. He was ready to move on from college football and if anything he had regressed from 2017 to 2018. I see very little chance he could’ve improved his resume in 2019, ESPECIALLY with this O-line. Mason has almost no chance to make deep throws and that was Guyton’s calling card.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

There is almost zero advantage to being taken in the 6th and 7th vs choosing where you land among UDFA suitors. He already had his degree, he did plenty for UNT, it was the best choice. 

He wouldn't be doing jack to improve his draft stock here, if his very good pro day times didn't springboard him there nothing would, especially not a season in Reeder's offense.

Him and Brooks are the only two who are on practice squads, his talent has been proven.

It is best for all parties anyways as the experience Greg White, Shorter, Ogunmakin and Simpson are gaining taking over Guyton (and Bussey's) snaps is invaluable moving forward. 

Wonder if he could have taken advantage of the transfer portal and moved on to another school?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I doubt very seriously that he made the decision to leave on a whim. I’m sure he consulted agents, scouts, and our coaching staff before finalizing his decision.

Another thing and I can’t stress this enough, he was not a true junior leaving early to chase a nfl check, he was a graduate of UNT who left high school the same year as Kyler Murray. He was ready to move on from college football and if anything he has regressed from 2017 to 2018. I see very little chance he could’ve improved his resume in 2019, ESPECIALLY with this O-line. Mason has almost no chance to make deep throws and that was Guyton’s calling card.

Didn’t think of it like that. Good point. 

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

What happened to the other guys, Jordan Murray, the Abilene Christian transfer tackle on the other side of the line? Did they make any team's practice squad ?

ACU transfer was Riley Mayfield and didn’t make an XFL team after being cut by the Eagles I believe? 

Jordan Murray is a used car salesman now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Wonder if he could have taken advantage of the transfer portal and moved on to another school?  

And add a fourth school to his college resume?   He would hade been a graduate transfer anyway.  He’s probably had enough bouncing around with school and ready to be done.