DRC: 5 takeaways from UNT's press conference in advance of Charlotte

Brett Vito

"The fourth down call was on me," Littrell said. "I didn’t make a good call there and have to do better in that situation. I make mistakes too. At the end of the day, we all have to man up and figure out how to get better."

Does anyone know our conversion rates for 4 and 1 or short when we run straight up the middle? Including last year

Also, why dont we run those plays from under center? I know our offense is from the shotgun but your taking a lot of time for the ball to get to Mason, if its a good snap, and then the hand off with the back having to go at least 4 yards to the line of scrimmage. With our line not being able to get a good push, you would think they would reduce the amount of time by the line to hold a block. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, had the 4’th & 1’s been successful this board’s mood turns180 degrees & some would want SL in the NT Athletic Hall of Fame before this season’s done.  

I’m so glad in my 25+ years of being a tech school student recruiter I didn’t have a tech school forum critiquing my every burp, belch & fart.  I still have that Catholic guilt from a couple of UNT coaches I was way too critical of on GMG & being Protestant makes such guilt hard to have.

I would say to younger alums—just let it be because UNT coaches have more to please than us & that group of high level critics on campus can make or break a career.  Just my .02.

GMG!

PS:  We all need Coach Seth Littrell to be a raging success.  IMHO, 2 more 3+ star-laden (with linemen) recruiting classes gets us where we can compete annually for CUSA championships with no down year.

️ I think our new “completed” IPF will do more for recruiting than we’d ever believe.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Of course, had the 4’th & 1’s been successful this board’s mood turns180 degrees & some would want SL in the NT Athletic Hall of Fame before this season’s done.  

That maybe true but I would still shake my head at the decision and the formation in which they ran the play. SL has a track record of running the ball straight up the middle on 4 and short and some times it works out but the majority of the time it doesn't. I went back and watched that play and here is what I saw. Game Link its at the 1:41:00 mark

When it was 3&1, the RB is 6 1/2 yards back from the line of scrimmage and the RB lost a yard making the upcoming call 4&2. The outside line backer was unblocked and had plenty of time to breakdown and wait for Smith to get to him. The next play when you have to get that 4th and 2, they line up in the shotgun with the running back 6 yards back again. You have your heavy set in there with two tight ends. Below is a screen shot of the defense, look at how many people they have in the box, they know whats coming. Then when the ball is snapped you see another outside linebacker coming in free and has plenty of time to breakdown and make a tackle.

My argument is not why the hell did he go for it, my argument is why the hell is he in the shotgun and trying to run it up the middle. He has way more skins on the wall than I will ever have and maybe he saw something throughout the game that led him to make that call twice in a row but I just dont get it. Get your big boys in there tight and try to ram it down their throat.

4&1.png

4&1.2.png

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Withers940 said:

That maybe true but I would still shake my head at the decision and the formation in which they ran the play. SL has a track record of running the ball straight up the middle on 4 and short and some times it works out but the majority of the time it doesn't. I went back and watched that play and here is what I saw. Game Link its at the 1:41:00 mark

When it was 3&1, the RB is 6 1/2 yards back from the line of scrimmage and the RB lost a yard making the upcoming call 4&2. The outside line backer was unblocked and had plenty of time to breakdown and wait for Smith to get to him. The next play when you have to get that 4th and 2, they line up in the shotgun with the running back 6 yards back again. You have your heavy set in there with two tight ends. Below is a screen shot of the defense, look at how many people they have in the box, they know whats coming. Then when the ball is snapped you see another outside linebacker coming in free and has plenty of time to breakdown and make a tackle.

My argument is not why the hell did he go for it, my argument is why the hell is he in the shotgun and trying to run it up the middle. He has way more skins on the wall than I will ever have and maybe he saw something throughout the game that led him to make that call twice in a row but I just dont get it. Get your big boys in there tight and try to ram it down their throat.

4&1.png

4&1.2.png

How did you survive the Dodge years?

Rick

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Passss

For sure. 
At this point, I trust Mason Fine's arm way more than the OL blocking (against a defense that is almost positive a run is coming) for 2 yards up the gut.   Catch the defense napping.   
Now, if we line up in 10/11-personnel, then I don't trust the OL to block an oncoming rush long enough to convert on a pass.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

My point is both Pirtle and Smith have been banged up most of the year.

That is true. I still have to think PIrtle is healthy enough to chip the DE/LB and slip out for a pass if he is healthy enough to try and run block in the trenches