CUSA Coaching Salaries

Cerebus

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I think Holtz must like being at LATECH because I am sure he could make more else where.  That is the guy you love to. have , winning and wanting to be there.

Skip Holtz lost his charm to the Power Teams when he oversaw USF fall down hard from the Jim Leavitt days of being a Power Conference team in the old Big East, where they got up to being the #2 team in the country. But he was successful at East Carolina in the old CUSA, which is basically the AAC now, and he is doing just fine at La Tech in the current CUSA setup.

If Skip gets lured away from Ruston, LA, I think it will be an AAC team that will poach him away--probably East Carolina again or a team like Tulane when Willie Fritz gets hired away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

This statement has been made for decades. The Arkansas game created pub we would never be able to buy! Millions!. Ran into a student at the game that is from California, I thought that was cool.

We had our fifteen minutes of fame but seriously, what tangible benefit did the school achieve from our trick play?  WB touted record applications but that happens every year at UNT.  

Taken one step further, UTA has done everything we have done;  Tier One status, growing contributions and endowments, etc. all without the benefit of football. Also, they have surpassed us in enrollment.

I love football as much as the next person but when the highest paid public employee in every state in the country except one, (Alaska, I believe), is a football or basketball coach,  something is wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

We had our fifteen minutes of fame but seriously, what tangible benefit did the school achieve from our trick play?  WB touted record applications but that happens every year at UNT.  

Taken one step further, UTA has done everything we have done;  Tier One status, growing contributions and endowments, etc. all without the benefit of football. Also, they have surpassed us in enrollment.

I love football as much as the next person but when the highest paid public employee in every state in the country except one, (Alaska, I believe), is a football or basketball coach,  something is wrong.

It was more than 15 minutes maybe $15m in exposure. You are naive to think athletic success does not attract students. Alabama and LSU would be prime examples. Not exactly ivy league schools.

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Or South Florida...Yeah, that's it!

No, Holtz has played that game before. He has everything he could ever want at Louisiana Tech.

Not saying it could NEVER happen, like if Arkansas came throwing truckloads of gold to him, but why else ever leave a great situation like he has?

I think the same thing, but if he ever leaves there, its not going to be a Power 5 team, in my opinion. I think a program like Tulane or SMU would hire him from La Tech, though...

55 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Since you are carrying the discussion forward, please answer my question: "what tangible benefit did the school achieve from our trick play?"

Thank you in advance.

Well, it's special teams, and in the grand scheme of the world it's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.

Now, if your looking for fake punt returns that cure cancer, feed the hungry, and fix global warming, well then, you'll probably have to consult Nick Saban.

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I have not been naive since one night in Chilton Hall in 1971.

Since you are carrying the discussion forward, please answer my question: "what tangible benefit did the school achieve from our trick play?"

Thank you in advance.

EXPOSURE!! NATIONWIDE!

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I have not been naive since one night in Chilton Hall in 1971.

Thank you in advance.

Name recognition.  When I graduated HS in West Texas neither I nor anyone else in my class had ever heard of UNT.

A large part of that is because the school was 1aa at the time, no doubt.  Just being FBS now gets our name out there more.  Every single college football fan who was paying any attention to sports at the time of Peter Pan has now at least some idea of who we are.

Advertising works. Paying for FBS football is advertising.  Any success makes it more effective.

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

care to guess who the G5 coach is?

It's certainly interesting that Coach Littrell is the lone G5 coach that has this perk - strikes as shades of the A&M SwagCopter from not too long ago. But doesn't that jet belong to one of the particular booster families, like the Lovelace clan?

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

His buyout in ‘06 was only $780k.  Regardless of whatever he made as head coach is nothing compared to what he could have been making the 15 years since but he doesn’t seem to care.

I imagine all anyone at Ohio cares is that he’s delivered without raping their budget.

Rick

But he’s 3-4 this year. Wonder if some are calling for his firing and questioning his sideline demeanor?

• Upvote 1