CUSA Coaching Salaries

Cerebus

45 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This is ridiculous.  One day, a courageous university president is going to say, "enough is enough!" 

Then he will probably be looking for a new job. 

The problem with this stupid athletic spending war is that it benefits all the people that are making the decisions.  

Presidents keep alumni happy by spending money on sports.  AD's, coaches, and players all directly benefit. 

What may actually happen at some point, is that students revolt against having their tuition and fees paying for athletics.  They provide the biggest source of funds for most college football programs.   

This would make approximately 100 D1 teams uncompetitive with the top programs and force a reconstruction of NCAA sports. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Two of the top three have a bowl win and a conference championship.

Still not sold on Clark/UAB. A unicorn scenario that allowed them an exceptional 2018, and a laughably easy first half of 2019.

Im not interested in paying for lightning in a bottle success. These salaries should be a reflection of long-term, sustaining investments.

having said that, happy they are forking out the money and joining us in an effort to elevate their program.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Im not interested in paying for lightning in a bottle success.

That's not what you're paying for. 

Once you pay for one coach at that level, you are also paying his replacement at that level or above.  The only time when we have backtracked on that is when Bataille demanded we go cheap on the Dodge hire, and look how that turned out. 

The money we are spending is building things like the IPF, building the image of NT in the minds of coaches/recruits, and elevating the head coaching positions desirability to the next coach. 

36 minutes ago, Mab2015 said:

Seth currently ranks just below Sumlin(Arizona) and Smith(Oregon State), but above Tom Allen (Indiana), Harsin (Boise State) and.... Brian Kelly?! 

Something is missing...

Yes, this is based off of released contract info, or FOIA'ed contracts.  State laws are different from place to place, and private schools usually have to report nothing. 

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

What may actually happen at some point, is that students revolt against having their tuition and fees paying for athletics.  They provide the biggest source of funds for most college football programs.

I actually expect this to happen sooner than later. I think required athletic fees will be a target. With the cost of higher education continuing to rise, I think students who don't care about athletics are going to start objecting to required athletic fees.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I actually expect this to happen sooner than later. I think required athletic fees will be a target. With the cost of higher education continuing to rise, I think students who don't care about athletics are going to start objecting to required athletic fees.

There are a multitude of fees students pay that are for services they may never use or even care about but are for the betterment of the university as a whole. Same thing for services I pay for in my city that I may never use or have a vested interested in. Just part of life. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Then he will probably be looking for a new job. 

The problem with this stupid athletic spending war is that it benefits all the people that are making the decisions.  

Presidents keep alumni happy by spending money on sports.  AD's, coaches, and players all directly benefit. 

This would make approximately 100 D1 teams uncompetitive with the top programs and force a reconstruction of NCAA sports. 

I don't think it will be students who lead this. It will come from politics. Maybe not in states like Texas, Louisiana or similar, but northeast and west coast states etc may well start putting limits, especially if student loans stop being as unforfeitable as they are. I mean can't you imagine that California institutes maximum salaries as a multiple of the minimum salary (i.e. no university employee should make more than 20 (or some other arbitrary number) times what the least paid full time employee makes)?  Not sure whether it would lead to where they want to go, but I sure can imagine them trying.

Edited by outoftown

18 hours ago, untbowler said:

La Tech getting more bang for their buck as is USM. UAB also getting their value as well. 

Here’s your greatest bang for your buck, 14 years running.

Frank Solich, Ohio

106-75

8 season’s of 8 wins or more.

6 season’s of 9 wins or more.

10 bowl games, 4 bowl wins.

Currently 3-4 overall, 2-1 in conference.

$655,000

Rick

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Here’s your greatest bang for your buck, 14 years running.

Frank Solich, Ohio

106-75

8 season’s of 8 wins or more.

6 season’s of 9 wins or more.

10 bowl games, 4 bowl wins.

Currently 3-4 overall, 2-1 in conference.

$655,000

Rick

He made millions at Nebraska so he is living the good life without needing to pull a bigger salary from a smaller program.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This is ridiculous.  One day, a courageous university president is going to say, "enough is enough!" 

This statement has been made for decades. The Arkansas game created pub we would never be able to buy! Millions!. Ran into a student at the game that is from California, I thought that was cool.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

UNT is a great value for higher education even with the fees.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

He made millions at Nebraska so he is living the good life without needing to pull a bigger salary from a smaller program.

His buyout in ‘06 was only $780k.  Regardless of whatever he made as head coach is nothing compared to what he could have been making the 15 years since but he doesn’t seem to care.

I imagine all anyone at Ohio cares is that he’s delivered without raping their budget.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3