CFN Mid-season Head Coach Rankings

letsgiveacheer

This was from last week prior to our game with MTSU. Perhaps he has risen since then!

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/college-football-news-midseason-head-coach-rankings-1-130/2

110. Seth Littrell, North Texas (2-4)

Best Win: North Texas 45, UTSA 3
Worst Loss: Southern Miss 45, North Texas 27
Midseason Thought: The Mean Green were supposed to have the offense to keep up the pace and make up for the absence of a solid defense … nope. It’s going to be a battle just to go bowling.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Blessing or a curse?

Blessing if he and his staff continues to recruit well.  Mac's staff didn't recruit great at the end.  Outside a couple of players (like Fine and Bussey) SL's first two classes were not good. 

SL's last two classes have been very good, they are just Fr and RS Fr right now, but some of them are already making impacts.  More will when they become RS Sophomores.  Keep feeding that talent pipeline and we will do well.

The future of CFB head coaching ladies and gentlemen....

I want to see the guy succeed. But he's just getting blown out by other coaches and staffs.

Kiffin and baby briles blew by him year one.

UAB blew it straight out the door last year. sure, they had a bunch of old men on the team.

Sonny and the Hyundai boys blew right by this year.

We keep getting told it gets better. It ain't getting better.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

23 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

LOLOL at anyone but Troy Reffertt being in Denton next season.

What do you mean here?   Everyone on the coaching staff with the exception of Reffett will be fired?    Everyone on the coaching staff with the exception of Reffett will be following Seth Littrell to his new gig at a P5?    Something else?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What do you mean here?   Everyone on the coaching staff with the exception of Reffett will be fired?    Everyone on the coaching staff with the exception of Reffett will be following Seth Littrell to his new gig at a P5?    Something else?

I'm pretty sure he just means that Reffett will not be fired.

59 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Blessing if he and his staff continues to recruit well.  Mac's staff didn't recruit great at the end.  Outside a couple of players (like Fine and Bussey) SL's first two classes were not good. 

SL's last two classes have been very good, they are just Fr and RS Fr right now, but some of them are already making impacts.  More will when they become RS Sophomores.  Keep feeding that talent pipeline and we will do well.

Agreed. My main problem with him (and pretty much only) is being loyal to his assistants to a fault. Take KU for example. The offense had gone stagnant after the blow out of Boston College. They fire the OC and with 2 weeks to prepare, the new OC is less than a minute and massive defensive lapses away from upsetting Texas in Austin by putting up 48 and converting a clever 2 point conversion at the end of the game. Les Miles identified the problem and addressed it. I know the situations are different and I know throwing in a new DC at this point probably wouldn't create that much of a difference, but the longer Ref stays on staff is a continually poorer reflection on Seth, imo. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

The future of CFB head coaching ladies and gentlemen....

I want to see the guy succeed. But he's just getting blown out by other coaches and staffs.

Kiffin and baby briles blew by him year one.

UAB blew it straight out the door last year. sure, they had a bunch of old men on the team.

Sonny and the Hyundai boys blew right by this year.

We keep getting told it gets better. It ain't getting better.

It’ll be more of the same with Reff’s replacement until we can address the root cause.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm pretty sure he just means that Reffett will not be fired.

Correct.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Please see @Mean Green 93-98's interpretation above... Thank you for enjoying my cryptic message.

tales from the crypt 1980s GIF

• Haha 1

1. The ranking was neither very good (even before this win I would never have dreamt anybody could have Frank Wilson ahead of SL. Even though I think SL might be overpaid, he isn't nearly as overpaid as Wilson), nor presecient (Lovie Smith was 120th).

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I wonder however if he will indeed be able to keep the improved recruiting up though. I mean it seems NT put more resources into recruiting and that is part of what pays off. But at the same time, this let-down season cannot be good for recruiting plus NT had just started to be able to beat SMU sometimes on the trail. That latter part isn't gonna happen anymore with how this season is going at both schools.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Agreed. My main problem with him (and pretty much only) is being loyal to his assistants to a fault. Take KU for example. The offense had gone stagnant after the blow out of Boston College. They fire the OC and with 2 weeks to prepare, the new OC is less than a minute and massive defensive lapses away from upsetting Texas in Austin by putting up 48 and converting a clever 2 point conversion at the end of the game. Les Miles identified the problem and addressed it. I know the situations are different and I know throwing in a new DC at this point probably wouldn't create that much of a difference, but the longer Ref stays on staff is a continually poorer reflection on Seth, imo. 

That same trait for loyalty is why he is still at UNT and hasn't taken one of several offers for greener pastures.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Our UNT fat cat$  have obviously  taken to Seth Littrell  enough to invest big bucks with our Athletic program than ever before & that’s enough for me.  They probably see SL’s brief flirtation with KSU as a positive & were probably impressed that his deciding to stay was partly out of loyalty to his (then) assistant coaches.  

• These SuperStarSupporters  of North Texas are successful because they knew who & what to invest serious monies with thru the decades & would not have with UNT if they thought Littrell was a flake & not a keeper.

Loveless, McNatt  (& others) have spent time with our HFC & know what Seth is made of—most of us have not & do not.  This forum is mostly all about speculation from all us passionate fans, but none  of us will ever pull the trigger to fire anyone at North Texas so that subject should probably go on the backburner.

Gut feeling tells me Coach SL is here for another 4-5 years & during this time I’ll “speculate” that his recruiting takes us to that next level because....I think SL finally has a full house of NCAA FBS venues now to do some high stakes card playing that will aim us toward Top 25 rankings.

If we’re not shooting for Top 25 now, then you younger guys are going to run in place for the next 3-4 decades with this program & then begin to understand what all we older “War Eagles”🙄  have experienced for most of the last 50 or more years. I hope none of you have to go thru any of that. 

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Loveless, McNatt  (& others) have spent time with our HFC & know what Seth is made of—most of us have not & do not.

Or they're wealthy aging folks who just want their name on a building and their Estate Tax liability to be as close to or below the $11m threshold as possible.  I'd rather give a few million to UNT football and take a deduction while I'm living than let the IRS steal from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I tend to think they would have donated either way.  It's also more of Wren and the UNT Pres being more effective at getting money from donors (look at the huge University giving increases this year, even without the G Brint contribution) than RV was.  Its probably not because Seth woo'ed them with his normal Coach Taylor Friday Night Lights impressions.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Downvote 6

12 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Or they're wealthy aging folks who just want their name on a building and their Estate Tax liability to be as close to or below the $11m threshold as possible.  I'd rather give a few million to UNT football and take a deduction while I'm living than let the IRS steal from my estate after I kick the bucket.

I tend to think they would have donated either way.  It's also more of Wren and the UNT Pres being more effective at getting money from donors (look at the huge University giving increases this year, even without the G Brint contribution) than RV was.  Its probably not because Seth woo'ed them with his normal Coach Taylor Friday Night Lights impressions.

I feel like despite anything that has happened, Wren is what is making everything possible. The guy is 110% baller and probably the best thing that happened to UNT athletics. Advertising. Graphic design. Facilities. Promotion. Recognition. Even coaching improvement to a point.

He's where we should invest. Faith in Wren is faith in our programs future

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1