Great Weekend

UNTLifer

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Feeling much better this Sunday night as compared to last week. 

Soccer goes 2-0 for the weekend. 
Volleyball goes 2-0 for the weekend. Both dominating their opponents. 
Football beats the MUTS.
Cowboys win. 
Yankees lose.  

Yes to everything; minus the Yankees, because screw the Astros. But add to that Jeff was activated, had some carries, and 49ers got to 6-0 this weekend. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Wish FC Dallas could have pulled off the miracle in Seattle a place they never win. But they fought hard Losing 4-3 in 120 minutes and have the youngest team in the league. Fun and exciting rebuilding year. Youngest and first year manager in Luchi.  Future is bright in Frisco at Toyota Stadium. And the Stars decided to wake up and start the season!

Great a Mean Green win. Nice cowboy rout update when we landed in HK. Left Sunday morning instead of Monday morning before the storms. Glad everyone is safe! 

Crush Charlotte 

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

Wish FC Dallas could have pulled off the miracle in Seattle a place they never win. But they fought hard Losing 4-3 in 120 minutes and have the youngest team in the league. Fun and exciting rebuilding year. Youngest and first year manager in Luchi.  Future is bright in Frisco at Toyota Stadium. And the Stars decided to wake up and start the season!

Great a Mean Green win. Nice cowboy rout update when we landed in HK. Left Sunday morning instead of Monday morning before the storms. Glad everyone is safe! 

Crush Charlotte 

GMG

Agreed. If you are going to go out, that's how you go out. No one gave that team a chance against Seattle but they battled their way to overtime and almost completed the comeback. First year head coach making the playoffs with a stalwart of young talent playing throughout the season. The one thing I love about Luchi is his willingness to play the young guys. Future is definitely bright. North Texas SC also won their own title over the weekend also

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Never heard of anyone not liking George Springer.

81U59NeYZfL._SL1500_.jpg

Rangers' fan first of all, but was never a fan of Springer's tantrums.  I don't hate Bregman, but I only watch them when they are playing the Rangers.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Rangers' fan first of all, but was never a fan of Springer's tantrums.

No idea what you are talking about, really.  Altuve and Springer are the most liked Astros as far as MLB players are concerned. 

I get that a lot of people don't like how confident (mouthy) Bregman is, but...

I am old enough that my first favorite Astro was Jose Cruz.   Baseball was the sport I loved growing up and I played it year round.  I grew up knowing that if you looked at a homerun too long you were going to get a fastball in the back next time, and if you tried to peak where the catcher was setup he was going to buzz your ear when he threw back to the pitcher.   We lived with a ton of unwritten rules and we just accepted them, but looking back on them a lot of them were silly, and some of them were flat out harmful. 

Back then, even 5 years ago, I would have hated what the National's Soto does, with all the histrionics and the crotch grabbing.  But the truth is baseball has a very old fanbase and if it doesn't start to capture young people's attention it will die, or at least become a minor sport like boxing and horse racing.  Both of which used to be THE American sport and both of which are now just a shadow of what they used to be. 

If being flashy gets more people to watch, bring it on.  You don't want Bautista to bat flip?  Strike him out.  You don't want a pitcher to fist pump and scream as he heads to the dugout?  Chase him. 

PS: Even I, still somewhat of a traditionalist and who hates the DH, am ready for the Robo umps. 

It may have been when he was a younger player and has now matured, Springer, but I honestly don't follow the Astros enough to know now.  You will notice that I put "Yankees' lost" in my original post and not "Astros' won."

Edited by UNTLifer

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No idea what you are talking about, really.  Altuve and Springer are the most liked Astros as far as MLB players are concerned. 

I am old enough that my first favorite Astro was Jose Cruz.   Baseball was the sport I loved growing up and I played it year round.  I grew up knowing that if you looked at a homerun too long you were going to get a fastball in the back next time, and if you tried to peak where the catcher was setup he was going to buzz your ear when he threw back to the pitcher.   We lived with a ton of unwritten rules and we just accepted them, but looking back on them a lot of them were silly, and some of them were flat out harmful. 

Back then, even 5 years ago, I would have hated what the National's Soto does, with all the histrionics and the crotch grabbing.  But the truth is baseball has a very old fanbase and if it doesn't start to capture young people's attention it will die, or at least become a minor sport like boxing and horse racing.  Both of which used to be THE American sport and both of which are now just a shadow of what they used to be. 

If being flashy gets more people to watch, bring it on.  You don't want Bautista to bat flip?  Strike him out.  You don't want a pitcher to fist pump and scream as he heads to the dugout?  Chase him. 

PS: Even I, still somewhat of a traditionalist and who hates the DH, am ready for the Robo umps. 

Oh boy...  It's time to hijack a thread with that age-old sports argument!

Why folks don't like the DH in today's baseball, I'll never know.  I think it's just an indoctrination thing.  Something about "purity"... blah, blah, blah.  The game has evolved since back in the day when Babe Ruth was pitching and raking. 

With how pitchers have become specialized, and how (outside of a small handful of them... and even then, they're just OK) they're completely worthless at the plate; why is having the pitcher bat better than having someone who is more skilled bat in their place?   
I'm a Braves fan.  Warren Spahn is the winningest lefty of all time.  He played for 21 years, and hit... .194 with 35 home runs.  That is top 3 all-time in HR's for a pitcher.   And he played in that in-between time period.   
Nowdays, you look at a guy like Madison Bumgarner as a Unicorn.    Give me Edgar Martinez over Bumgarner at the plate every day though.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why folks don't like the DH in today's baseball, I'll never know.  I think it's just an indoctrination thing.  Something about "purity"... blah, blah, blah.  The game has evolved since back in the day when Babe Ruth was pitching and raking.

I'll admit it is. 

Growing up my coaches hated the "new-fangled" DH rule.  I was taught making a pitcher have to hit, and either learning to bunt or becoming a black hole, was just part of the game.  It's never going away, I am just going to be curmudgeonly about it.    In fact, I think sooner or later the NL will adopt it as some sort of bargaining concession to MLBPA.

However, I was also brought up that umpires calling different zones was also part of the game.  I was very against any sort of robo ump or instant replay for calls.  I honestly don't know if umps have gotten worse, or just technology has gotten better, but what is going on now is that you can see most modern umps don't have their "own strike zone", they are just inconsistent.   Bring on the Robo Umps. 

Since you brought up the Babe, always remember that one year Ruth not only hit more homeruns than any other player, he hit more homeruns than any other team.  Besides the team he was on of course.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

With how pitchers have become specialized, and how (outside of a small handful of them... and even then, they're just OK) they're completely worthless at the plate;

Fun Fact: Zach Greinke has an OPS of .888 this year, which is higher than every Ranger except for Gallo and Pence. 

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

However, I was also brought up that umpires calling different zones was also part of the game.  I was very against any sort of robo ump or instant replay for calls.  I honestly don't know if umps have gotten worse, or just technology has gotten better, but what is going on now is that you can see most modern umps don't have their "own strike zone", they are just inconsistent.   Bring on the Robo Umps. 

250px-Angel_Hernandez_2011.jpg  I hate this dude.   

I just hate the idea of technology running a game... and you know there's going to be a story about 5 years after robo ump's debut that some programmer modified strike zone code during games for $.

56 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

the funniest unwritten rule in baseball is the celebration stuff...

Hit a go ahead grand slam in the fifth inning of game 4 in the world series? Act like you've been there before!!!

Score on a walk off error to beat the Diamondbacks in game 2 of the regular season? Empty the dugout and pour Gatorade/sunflower seeds/anything else in the clubhouse on each other.

i'd love to have someone explain to me how these two behaviors are both accepted in the same sport