Wasp Question

GoMeanGreen1999

No wasps, but today I noticed tons of honey bees flying around some mexican heather plants in my yard.  Hadn't seem them at all this summer, so maybe they are just active right now.  Either way, it's good to see them.

Oh, I did see an albino squirrel at the game.  Maybe it was attracting the wasps??

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Did anyone notice wasps flying around in the stadium during the game?  Were we were sitting we had 4-5 flying around pretty much the whole game.  Noticed them rows down in front of us as well.

Yes.  This became a topic of conversation for us.  Section 106 (south side).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

No wasps, but today I noticed tons of honey bees flying around some mexican heather plants in my yard.  Hadn't seem them at all this summer, so maybe they are just active right now.  Either way, it's good to see them.

Oh, I did see an albino squirrel at the game.  Maybe it was attracting the wasps??

Bees are likely trying to load up their food weight before winter. Odd that you haven’t noticed them before though. If there is a hive near you, it likely has been there since spring if not earlier. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Great. Just Friggin Great. You had to acknowledge the wasp and post about it on here.

Now you've really done it.

Next thing you know, The NT Daily will pick up the damn story...

And then...

We'll be stuck with...

mascot074-800x800h.png

Mean Green WASP

Our Newest Alternate Mascot!

If that were the case, we would already have the Mean Green cricket!
I don't care how many wasps y'all saw, the crickets at Fouts had them outnumbered 100:1.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If that were the case, we would already have the Mean Green cricket!
I don't care how many wasps y'all saw, the crickets at Fouts had them outnumbered 100:1.

Great! Just Great! 

Now you've gone and done it also...

mu40269-2_grande.jpg?v=1478205339

MEAN GREEN CRICKET!

(I've heard it's quite popular with our I.T. majors)

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Great! Just Great! 

Now you've gone and done it also...

mu40269-2_grande.jpg?v=1478205339

MEAN GREEN CRICKET!

(I've heard it's quite popular with our I.T. majors)

So what?  I have 4 degrees from North Texas,...I use one at a time and wipe my ass with the other three and I’m successful at it.  Seems right to me that if the kids think its interesting for a few seconds then what’s wrong with it?

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Rick

• Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

We had them (paper wasps) in the upper deck of student side.

Unlike yellowjackets and hornets, which can be very aggressive, polistine paper wasps will generally only attack if they themselves or their nest are threatened.[7] 

220px-Polistes_africanus.jpg

Paper wasp on a spider lily leaf – they are considered beneficial by gardeners.

Most wasps are beneficial in their natural habitat, and are critically important in natural biocontrol.[3] Paper wasps feed on nectar and other insects, including caterpillars, flies, and beetle larvae. Because they are a known pollinator and feed on known garden pests, paper wasps are often considered to be beneficial by gardeners.[8]

Per NCSU:

However, paper wasps during the fall when there are no nests and no young larvae to protect. ... Male wasps look for the best place to "hang out" and attract females. On these warm days during the fall, the future queens become active and fly about.

It's just their time to wander, look for mates, and then try to find a new nesting site. They're just at Apogee for a football game and the social life. Only a very small percent will ever start a new nest.

Nothing to worry about and certainly not an ongoing concern.

Edited by ADLER