Question: Are TD’s Not Automatically Reviewed Anymore?

FirefightnRick

On another note, 3rd and 1 from Blue Raiders 8 yard line and we stuff it up the middle for 1 yard loss. Then on 4th and 2 we run a similar play up the middle for no gain. Not much imagination , and I just don't think our O line can blow the socks off a stacked defense. Also, Fine has a bum left shoulder and we call a running play with him trying to turn corner on left side. Fine does enough running just trying not to get sacked so why risk further injury?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I thought all scores are automatically reviewed?  On the muts third TD that made it 30-23 NT,...the ball carrier clearly stepped out at the 2,...no review.  

Or was it just overlooked?

Side line judge is looking right at it but his view may have been blocked.  The tv announcers caught it and questioned this as well.

56AB45E0-7E34-4760-85D6-19E105735490.png.bef8845e7306436d2d148d447fe41ef3.png

33655FB2-09C0-4D3B-BB56-8389D24D5956.png.eb36a1ae52a30ab39da042a220206e53.png

1BC2F248-9523-4625-922E-159AC4F02003.png.f934d7574007d313541580e147e72bc6.png

F91888A9-95BB-4C1C-A89D-52126014E171.png.80dcdb388b8527b2efe9d3ca7aee0a5d.png

14C0C049-08CB-4B5F-B154-CCA715808A22.png.2c8a3ce5f14f9a690d52a9b7582fd128.png

Should have been third and goal.

Rick

14637061-5421-459B-99C0-A75867D02CE8.png

The UNT video board person replayed this play in slow motion and paused the screen when he stepped out. Clearly a missed call. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

As it turns out the minute and a half saved by the erroneous touchdown call came back to benefit us in the end when we used that time to drive for the winning field goal.

Poor MTSU, nothing ever seems to go right for them.

At least they got to see our new indoor practice facility.

Edited by ADLER
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

We couldn't figure out why Seth wasn't challenging that call.

Its been a problem for several seasons now. it is evident that the coaching staff has no good organization that makes sure these situations are quickly recognized and communicated for to the head coach. There is either noone responsible for this, or the personwho is is either incompetent, or not afforded enough access to the HCs communication.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

We couldn't figure out why Seth wasn't challenging that call.

SL has never seen an easy challenge that would be appropriate for his challenge, he prefers to wait for the complex challenges with minimal chance of success. Guess it is all in the analytics not common sense

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The "trying to knock them down" technique drives me insane.

Absolutely, and this game exposed our poor tackling as any game has this season.  

But on the play above, the announcers called out K.D. Davis for the attempted shove out as poor tackling.  But then once you freeze the video and see what K.D. could see,...that the guy was out of bounds I can understand why he didn’t hit the ball carrier.  

If he blows him up or wraps up and takes him out there’s the chance he gives them a 1st & goal for unnecessary roughness call instead of what it should have been, 3rd and goal.

Rick

• Upvote 4

On 10/20/2019 at 5:33 PM, wardly said:

On another note, 3rd and 1 from Blue Raiders 8 yard line and we stuff it up the middle for 1 yard loss. Then on 4th and 2 we run a similar play up the middle for no gain. Not much imagination , and I just don't think our O line can blow the socks off a stacked defense. Also, Fine has a bum left shoulder and we call a running play with him trying to turn corner on left side. Fine does enough running just trying not to get sacked so why risk further injury?

I don't know why Jason Bean doesn't go in at quarterback on 3rd and short plays. It seems like his speed would force the defense to put some guys out on the corners and open up the middle or risk him breaking a big run.

I also don't know why he isn't the holder on field goal attempts and point after tries. 

There are plenty of other things I don't know, but those two are enough for now.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, SlimSlamSlum said:

I don't know why Jason Bean doesn't go in at quarterback on 3rd and short plays. It seems like his speed would force the defense to put some guys out on the corners and open up the middle or risk him breaking a big run.

I also don't know why he isn't the holder on field goal attempts and point after tries. 

There are plenty of other things I don't know, but those two are enough for now.

Because in order to do that you’d have to take THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK UNT has ever had off the field on 3rd down.  That’s why.

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

maybe a wildcat formation with bean and mason in it.

Wildcat?  Neither one would be in for a wildcat.

Look, maybe we just let Mason play his final season, and hit big-time clutch throws like the one to Darden to put us in easy FG range for a game winner while we still have him.

Next year, we can worry about Bean's strengths/weaknesses and how to scheme with him.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Look, maybe we just let Mason play his final season, and hit big-time clutch throws like the one to Darden to put us in easy FG range for a game winner while we still have him.

I just wish Bean or Aune or somebody would get the actual offense to run during the blowouts.  I don't mean "here, go hand off the ball 3 times", I mean the actual offense.

We've had the chance to do that in several games and haven't. 

• ACU was a blowout, Bean got 1 pass attempt. 
  • SMU game was out of reach in the fourth, Bean did get 6 attempts.
  • UTSA was a blowout, Bean got 3 attempts.
  • Houston was a blowout in the fourth, Bean had 3 attempts.

My concern before this season was that we wouldn't play the backups when we needed, and at the end of the year we would lose Fine and SL.  Looks like we'll keep SL now, but still need to get real experience to the QB who is going to be critical to this offense next year.  

Just now, Cerebus said:

I just wish Bean or Aune or somebody would get the actual offense to run during the blowouts.  I don't mean "here, go hand off the ball 3 times", I mean the actual offense.

We've had the chance to do that in several games and haven't. 

• ACU was a blowout, Bean got 1 pass attempt. 
  • SMU game was out of reach in the fourth, Bean did get 6 attempts.
  • UTSA was a blowout, Bean got 3 attempts.
  • Houston was a blowout in the fourth, Bean had 3 attempts.

My concern before this season was that we wouldn't play the backups when we needed, and at the end of the year we would lose Fine and SL.  Looks like we'll keep SL now, but still need to get real experience to the QB who is going to be critical to this offense next year.  

I completely agree.    But if we're talking critical points of a tight game, I have no idea why we would want to take Fine off the field just to give a different look... ever.

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

maybe a wildcat formation with bean and mason in it.

You know, I’ve always wondered why Deion Hair-Griffin hasn’t been more utilized for something like that.

I saw him play in HS for Arlington Heights and the dude looked like O’Hara out there when kids were trying to tackle him.

His Junior & Senior year’s he threw for over 3400 yards and 43 TD’s.

He ran for over 2,000 yards and another 33 TD’s.

Thats 5,400 yards and 76 td’s at the 5A level,..and he ran the 200 meters at state his senior year.

But the guy has been riding the bench the past 2 1/2 years for some reason,.... till they need him to run back kick offs and suddenly he’s averaging over 53 yards per attempt at that.

Its a head scratcher to me how someone with those kind of wheels hasn’t been more utilized?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1