Remaining Games Forecast

UNTexas

Nothing is a given, but that game at La Tech is by far the biggest challenge for the rest of this season.

Several of the others are having disappointing seasons.

UAB is still doing well, but I expect Mason to unleash hell on that team in Apogee after last season's game in Birmingham.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, ADLER said:

UAB is still doing well, but I expect Mason to unleash hell on that team in Apogee after last season's game in Birmingham.

We will not beat 2019 UAB.  They aren't 2018 UAB, but they're better than 2019 UNT.

We'll be lucky if the OL can keep Mason protected enough to be well to play that last game.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

There only one game on that list I have absolute confidence in, and that is home against UTEP.  

You’re more positive than me.  I don’t have much confidence in any of the remaining games.   My saying we should win 4 more games is based on the incredibly weak schedule.

One at a time. The next challenge is consistency.  Will this team show up with energy intensity and confidence in Charlotte. Even if they struggle or eek out a W I am curious to see how this team responds so late and with Virtually no room for error.

beat Charlotte!

GMG

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We could probably play pretty bad and still beat UTEP. 

I’m not so sure about that.  

With the way this team fails to get off the field on defense, and runs some of the most perplexing offensive plays I’ve ever seen, I am confident in nothing.  I think we may get to six wins by virtue of the other teams being just that bad, but I wouldn’t put money on it.  

MUTS had one of the worst rushing defenses in football coming into yesterday, and our line got zero push (not to mention having Mason pick himself up virtually every pass play).  If their quarterback is even remotely accurate they score 14-21 more points.

Every game will be an unknown. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Charlotte, UTEP, and Rice are not just "winnable" games. We SHOULD beat them.

UAB is 6-1 at the moment but has not exactly played a schedule of world beaters. Their wins are:

Alabama State, 24-19 (current record: 3-3)
Akron, 31-20 (current record: 0-7)
South Alabama, 35-3 (current record: 1-6)
Rice, 35-20 (current record: 0-7)
UTSA, 33-14 (current record: 3-4)
Old Dominion, 38-14 (current record: 1-6)

So when their strength of victory is only .195, pretty tough to say how good they actually are. But I hope that for Mason's last home game Apogee is packed and the Mean Green feed off the energy and the sentiment and grab the W. I'm sure the athletic department will have all kinds of tributes throughout the game. We can't lose EVERY big game at home, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Charlotte, UTEP, and Rice are not just "winnable" games. We SHOULD beat them.

UAB is 6-1 at the moment but has not exactly played a schedule of world beaters. Their wins are:

Alabama State, 24-19 (current record: 3-3)
Akron, 31-20 (current record: 0-7)
South Alabama, 35-3 (current record: 1-6)
Rice, 35-20 (current record: 0-7)
UTSA, 33-14 (current record: 3-4)
Old Dominion, 38-14 (current record: 1-6)

So when their strength of victory is only .195, pretty tough to say how good they actually are. But I hope that for Mason's last home game Apogee is packed and the Mean Green feed off the energy and the sentiment and grab the W. I'm sure the athletic department will have all kinds of tributes throughout the game. We can't lose EVERY big game at home, right?

Yeah, UAB has @USM, UTEP, LT, @UNT remaining.

It looks like the only two challenges left on USMs schedule are WKU and @ FAU.  We obviously can't afford to lose ANY of our remaining games, but it would really uncomplicate things if USM would lose one of those.  Winning in Ruston again is going to be really really tough, and I just saw that La Tech will be coming off of a bye...

We're staring 6-6 down the barrel. You have to run Charlotte, Rice, and UTEP off the field. Spin it however you want, on our WORST day those three should be comfortable wins. Likewise, by any metric this season, LT and UAB look like big underdog situations. Let's hope we get healthy and rise up in one (or both!) of those. GMG

• Upvote 1

I would hope that when we play UAB we are 6 &5, as I would like not to be 5 &6 needing a victory over the Blazers to be bowl eligible. If we can't beat Charlotte, UTEP, and Rice we don't deserve a bowl game. Rice may be harder that we think as I believe the lost to La. Tech in overtime. I don't think we have much of a chance against the Bulldogs in Ruston, but people probably said the same about BYU playing the Broncos in Boise. Bottom line: 7 & 5 in the Frisco Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wardly said:

I would hope that when we play UAB we are 6 &5, as I would like not to be 5 &6 needing a victory over the Blazers to be bowl eligible. If we can't beat Charlotte, UTEP, and Rice we don't deserve a bowl game. Rice may be harder that we think as I believe the lost to La. Tech in overtime. I don't think we have much of a chance against the Bulldogs in Ruston, but people probably said the same about BYU playing the Broncos in Boise. Bottom line: 7 & 5 in the Frisco Bowl.

People were probably definitely saying the same about the Bulldogs playing in Denton last year.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, UNTexas said:

So, with these remaining games I think 3 or 4 wins could happen. Thoughts? Charlotte, UTEP, and Rice are winnable. La Tech will be tough. Don't know anything about UAB.

Screenshot_20191019-215436_Sports.jpg

I envision 2 wins the rest of the way.   I don't see La Tech or UAB being part of the two.  Charlotte and Rice will not be easy.  UTEP almost beat us last year.

10 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

I envision 2 wins the rest of the way.   I don't see La Tech or UAB being part of the two.  Charlotte and Rice will not be easy.  UTEP almost beat us last year.

UTSA almost beat us last year as well and we saw how that turned out.    Anything less than 4-1 is unacceptable the rest of the way unless Fine goes down.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

We could probably play pretty bad and still beat UTEP. 

You mean the UTEP team that was up on the 9 win 2018 North Texas team before the half last year in El Paso?  

Not sure what looked worse, our play in that game or UTEP's neon orange "throwback" jerseys.

• Downvote 3