Win Out and We Are CUSA Western Division Champions

ADLER

Just now, ADLER said:

La Tech beat Southern Miss today 45 - 30.

If North Texas wins its remaining games, including the November 9 game against La Tech in Ruston, the Mean Green are guaranteed to be CUSA Western Division Champions.

La Tech and Southern Miss could still be CUSA Co-Champions with North Texas if they also win out, but La Tech has to play at Marshall on 11/15 and Southern Miss has to deal with WKU and FAU in its last two games.

This can still turn out to be quite a season.

SoMiss wins the tiebreaker if all 3 teams wind up 7-1 in conference play.  We still need help.

I agree it can still be quite a season, but we’re gonna have to play much better than we did tonight if we’re gonna beat LATech.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SoMiss wins the tiebreaker if all 3 teams wind up 7-1 in conference play.  We still need help.

I agree it can still be quite a season, but we’re gonna have to play much better than we did tonight if we’re gonna beat LATech.

What tiebreaker? They would have beaten us, La Tech would have beaten USM, and we would have beaten La Tech.

And for the record, I couldn't give a rats rear about playing in the CUSA Championship game if we're not hosting it.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

I down for this team no matter what but after the game I saw there is no amount of green kool-aid for me to drink to even remotely think that is a possibility. We got really lucky tonight but hey a win is a win. On to the next! 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I down for this team no matter what but after the game I saw there is no amount of green kool-aid for me to drink to even remotely think that is a possibility. We got really lucky tonight but hey a win is a win. On to the next! 

Middle Tennessee is a good team that was fighting for its life today.

Sure they were 2 -4 but those losses were against Michigan, Iowa, Duke, and at Florida Atlantic. I doubt we would have gone undefeated through those four either.

*** by the Down Votes at least two people disagree and think we would have gone undefeated against Michigan, Iowa, Duke, and at Florida Atlantic. Darned optimists ***

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, ADLER said:

What tiebreaker? They would have beaten us, La Tech would have beaten USM, and we would have beaten La Tech.

And for the record, I couldn't give a rats rear about playing in the CUSA Championship game if we're not hosting it.

The on-field tiebreakers would be exhausted due to us all having the same records with our only losses being round robin to each other.   The final tiebreaker is “the team that has not played in the Championsip game most recently.”  ... that would be SoMiss.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Sure they were 2 -4 but those losses were against Michigan, Iowa, Duke, and at Florida Atlantic. I doubt we would have gone undefeated through those four either.

I just feel like this team is barely above water. I want to believe...I really do 🤨

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The on-field tiebreakers would be exhausted due to us all having the same records with our only losses being round robin to each other.   The final tiebreaker is “the team that has not played in the Championsip game most recently.”  ... that would be SoMiss.

Where did you find this. I couldn’t find anything official on the CUSA website.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The on-field tiebreakers would be exhausted due to us all having the same records with our only losses being round robin to each other.   The final tiebreaker is “the team that has not played in the Championship game most recently.”  ... that would be SoMiss.

But, if Southern Miss loses to either WKU or FAU, and North Texas has beaten La Tech.... we could be hosting the championship game.

There's still a lot of football to be played but we are still, to a large extent, in charge of our own destiny. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

We will be lucky if we play in a descent bowl game that we can be competitive in. I don't see a conference championship team at all, or even close, this season. 

The goal at this point is to do well enough to secure the HOD invite, or get the Frisco, Armed Forces, or Independence if they become available.

And we can still win CUSA-West in the process, and possibly the league title.

Today was a trap game against a solid team fighting for its life. It was close, but we won.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

The goal at this point is to do well enough to secure the HOD invite, or get the Frisco, Armed Forces, or Independence if they become available.

And we can still win CUSA-West in the process, and possibly the league title.

Today was a trap game against a solid team fighting for its life. It was close, but we won.

My thoughts exactly. A local bowl with lots of green in the stands would be a better finish than last season in New Mexico and a proper send off to some good seniors.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

My thoughts exactly. A local bowl with lots of green in the stands would be a better finish than last season in New Mexico and a proper send off to some good seniors.

The Frisco Bowl would be rockin' if North Texas played there, and the HOD being played in Ford Stadium would also be an excellent venue for North Texas.

We would have an excellent chance of playing in one of these if we either tie for CUSA West or win it outright.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

I thought after last week's loss the season was over!  Now, we're talking conference championship 7 days later???  That's the life of a Mean Green fan - high highs and low lows...enjoy the ride.  GMG

vYFqoU.gif

That's what today's La Tech defeat of Southern Miss enabled.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Today was a trap game against a solid team fighting for its life.

No.  They have an interesting Redshirt Sophomore QB.  The rest of the their weapons SHOULD have been worse than ours.

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Still: No.  If they're "good", dare I ask what we are?  Hot Garbage?

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

There's still a lot of football to be played but we are still, to a large extent, in charge of our own destiny. 

We can barely manage good press not inflating our feable minds off the field and four quarters of play on the field... I wouldn't talk "Destiny" with this team.  Think a lot less macro please.

8 minutes ago, ADLER said:

vYFqoU.gif

That's what today's La Tech defeat of Southern Miss enabled.

We aren't back... But the 2019 Team + Littrell Homers are inspirational in their blind eye towards reality.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, CMJ said:

All the games are huge from here on out, but I think Charlotte will tell us a lot.  We haven't shown anything on the road this season, so if we play well there and get a big W, I'll have a lot more hope for the remainder of the schedule.

chris farley yes GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CMJ said:

All the games are huge from here on out, but I think Charlotte will tell us a lot.  We haven't shown anything on the road this season, so if we play well there and get a big W, I'll have a lot more hope for the remainder of the schedule.

What???  In Berkeley, we had the ball with 3 minutes left and a chance to win the game. Granted, we buried ourselves in the 1st quarter, but then whipped at GOOD Pac12 team that was top 25 until they lost their QB. I was at that game, and we played pretty good the last 3/4 of the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1