Transfer Portal Players vs Existing Scholorship Players

cogido

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

A 3 point win over a complete spare hasn’t changed my mind that it looks like he’s lost the team. Since he had the KSU job dangled in front of him and turned them down, our team is 3-5, with blowout losses to Utah State, SMU, and Houston, as well as losses to Cal and USM. Our wins are against powerhouses known as ACU, UTSA, and MUTS. 

I’m really baffled by that post, particularly because i know you’ve watched a ton of football.

IMO, there is a cavernous drop of Portland State proportion when a team quits on the coach.

we are a team of questionable calls, inconsistent execution, spotty recruiting and of an injured star QB. Not of players that have lost faith in this coach. That’s a huge leap that I don’t agree with.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

A 3 point win over a complete spare hasn’t changed my mind that it looks like he’s lost the team. Since he had the KSU job dangled in front of him and turned them down, our team is 3-5, with blowout losses to Utah State, SMU, and Houston, as well as losses to Cal and USM. Our wins are against powerhouses known as ACU, UTSA, and MUTS. 

Seriously?  They had ample opportunities to lay down against the MUTS and didn't.  That tells me he still has the team.  I have seen nothing that would make me think he has.  If I am missing something, please point it out.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Jim, they're billing these kids as "walk-on transfers".

Are students really walking away from their P5 scholarship school so that they can pay full price tuition at SMU and play football?

Or, is SMU extending academic scholarships to graduate athletes?

History would indicate they're cheating. The school has only one winning season in the last 75 years for a coach that hasn't been busted for NCAA infractions. At some point you have to figure it's not the coaches but the institution at fault. It's simply ingrained in their culture.

I agree with you about them being cheaters, but the fact that they used this to get talent to the Hilltop makes me think they sold a lot of what I mentioned to get them here. I have to imagine the athletic department had scholarships for them or they are getting help somewhere--I'm not well-versed on how that transfer portal works, since it usually involves players who have already graduated somewhere else so that they can play immediately, but I'd assume they get scholarships athletically...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ADLER said:

Jim, they're billing these kids as "walk-on transfers".

Are students really walking away from their P5 scholarship school so that they can pay full price tuition at SMU and play football?

Or, is SMU extending academic scholarships to graduate athletes?

Yes, and probably yes. 

Stephens, the starting CB, graduated from UCLA as a RB and had fallen to third on the depth chart.  So the kid A) had his undergrad degree paid for, and B) was going to rot as a football player if he stuck around.  McBryde, the starting MLB, got hurt at Auburn late in his third year and was considered damaged goods, so he finished his degree as well and e-mailed 30 schools and got no answer.   So I think both players - like any 21 year old would - just wanted a chance to play.  I know Stephens has been given a scholarship, and I  believe McBryde has.  

As far as academic scholarships are concerned, Grayson and Abercrombie both graduated Rice in three years and did it playing football, as did an Charlie Flores, all-Ivy League OL from Columbia.   As far as I'm concerned, they've earned the academic and intellectual benefit of the doubt - give them an academic ride and don't look back. 

But lets say they are paying tuition out of pocket.  If the parents aren't paying then they are racking up only 2 years of student loans in order to A) Get a MA or MBA from SMU and B) Play for a top 25 football team, and that's with half the presidential candidates talking seriously about student loan forgiveness. 

I mean, they'd be stupid not to take the deal.  

1 hour ago, SMUleopold said:

But lets say they are paying tuition out of pocket.  If the parents aren't paying then they are racking up only 2 years of student loans in order to A) Get a MA or MBA from SMU and B) Play for a top 25 football team, and that's with half the presidential candidates talking seriously about student loan forgiveness. 

I mean, they'd be stupid not to take the deal.  

OK...I was with you until here....

#1 they weren't a top 25 team when they signed, #2 what's a master's degree from SMU cost? $60-$80 Grand? They'll pay $60-$80 grand to play football? #3 they're banking on a new president to wipe out the $60-$80 grand they're paying to play football?

I would argue they WOULD be stupid to take that deal....

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Fair point about the top 25 - honestly thought of that after I wrote it but didn't bother to change it.  

But, no, the actual price of the school, both undergraduate and graduate doesn't match the sticker price.  I choose SMU because they gave me financial aid in both - they were not my first choice for either.  They made it happen, and I would argue that an MBA from SMU is worth it, on top of playing college ball.  To be fair, I'm certain there are some players who turned it down but I maintain, especially where they are now, it's a steal.  

But to answer ADLER's original question, yes and yes.  

6 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Fair point about the top 25 - honestly thought of that after I wrote it but didn't bother to change it.  

But, no, the actual price of the school, both undergraduate and graduate doesn't match the sticker price.  I choose SMU because they gave me financial aid in both - they were not my first choice for either.  They made it happen, and I would argue that an MBA from SMU is worth it, on top of playing college ball.  To be fair, I'm certain there are some players who turned it down but I maintain, especially where they are now, it's a steal.  

But to answer ADLER's original question, yes and yes.  

Playing football is not a requirement to getting an MBA from SMU

If it's all about getting the MBA...and they're paying for it out of pocket...they could've just applied and paid for it. 

It is my understanding that a player cannot play college football while on an academic scholarship.  The intent is obvious, to kept schools from circumvented ship limitations.  

I assume that this rule also applies to graduate transfers. Therefore, even if a player pays his own way; it would count against the scholarship limit.  

I still maintain that SMU’s portal transfer project began the day after their loss at Apogee in 2018.  SMU’ Money Boys knew a normal HS & JUCO recruiting cycle post 2018 season would not develop talent soon enough for SMU to beat a team that held them to zero 1’st downs in the 1’st half of their 2018 game at Apogee and.......they did not want that happening again at GJ Ford in 2019 thus...portal transfers en mass’.

You do have to admire SMU’s pro-activity in pioneering a new recruiting practice that I think the NCAA Rules Committee will (in due time) reel in.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen