Transfer Portal Players vs Existing Scholorship Players

cogido

Okay, so for starters SMU effectively had two straight recruiting classes gutted before this last one, so we had some room to grow.   

When Morris left for Arkansas two years ago he basically took the upper half of the recruiting class he was building with him, and if a kid didn't leave with Morris to Arkansas you can imagine that Morris wasn't particularly high on him; I mean, Morris even took our starting QB, for god's sake.  Dykes had to take the leftovers and try to pull a rabbit out of his hat but IIRC we came in well under the 25 man limit that year.   

The year before that was the Baylor scandal fallout when they were playing with a stop-gap coach and had ONE recruit committed.  Morris had been knocking it out of the park with recruiting - he had Baylor's current starting QB, Charlie Brewster, committed amongst others but Rhule came in offered the upper two-thirds of THAT class, so they left and I'm sure they're happy, but we had to scramble there, too. 

But Dykes has essentially brought in an enormous amount of walk-on's, transfers included.  They've got a platoon of non-scholarship freshmen out there if for no other reason than practice bodies.  Stephens, the DB we put on Bussey, asked for a shot to play but he didn't received a scholarship offer until after the season started, supposedly.  I wouldn't be surprised if the two from Rice, Grayson and Abercrumbia, were somehow on academic scholarships - I mean, they graduate Rice in three years.

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Why ask us? Why not ask people more familiar with the situation. Like:

Alex Frithiof - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Lamar scholarship

Chance Billington - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received ULM scholarship

Xavier Gibson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

Lucas Eatman - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Missouri State scholarship

Shamar Johnson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

King McGowen - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received U-LaLa scholarship

Damarion Williams 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Houston scholarship

Imagine being the parents of one of these kids. Your highly recruited 3* son has received and accepted a scholarship offer to SMU and has rebuffed all other offers. Then, in the last month or two before the final signing period, SMU pulls his offer and he has to scramble for any 1AA school that may still have openings.

However SMU did nothing illegal but took advantage of the rules, and damaged high school kids for their own benefit.

Correct, incredibly dishonest, immoral, and sleazy, but not illegal.

➡️ Now that will come back to bite somebody in the ass. 🧲🧿72703272-24F7-4C1D-8637-1C98652A83CF.jpeg.ddf4909136f09919630f40f701c68767.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Alex Frithiof - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Lamar scholarship

Chance Billington - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received ULM scholarship

Xavier Gibson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

Lucas Eatman - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Missouri State scholarship

Shamar Johnson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

King McGowen - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received U-LaLa scholarship

Damarion Williams 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled late when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - eventually received Houston scholarship

Imagine being the parents of one of these kids. Your highly recruited 3* son has received and accepted a scholarship offer to SMU and has rebuffed all other offers. Then, in the last month or two before the final signing period, SMU pulls his offer and he has to scramble for any 1AA school that may still have openings.

However SMU did nothing illegal but took advantage of the rules, and damaged high school kids for their own benefit.

Just curious, were all of those in one year, two years or over a longer period of time? 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You have no idea if they did NOTHING illegal. 

What they've done to high school commits is very unethical but probably cannot be proven as a violation of NCAA rules.

Where they may get bitten is for extending academic scholarships to grad transfers and adding them to the team as 'walk-ons'. Any school that does this runs the risk of having to forfeit each game in which of these players participated.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I'm sure we can use this as a recruiting tool against smut. We are committed to HS recruiting.

We should just stay out of it. They always cheat and they always hang themselves. *** Except in the SMU MIRACLE SEASON of 2017 *** . Why was 2017 a miracle season? It's the only time since the NCAA started recording violations that SMU had a winning season for a coach that was not busted for cheating while coaching there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Shamar Johnson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

All the same year. Most right around when they could have signed their letters of intent.

SMU 2019 High School Recruits That Had Their Scholarship Offers Pulled

Forgive me for being the voice of reason here, but please take a slightly closer look at those two lists.  

Damarion Williams was committed to SMU and chose to go to Houston instead - Holgs stole him from us.  He is starting at UH, otherwise he would have been guarding Busey instead of a non-scholarship walk-on RB who graduated and left UCLA without a so much as a peep. 

Jonathon McGill  decommited from us and went to Stanford, of all places.   We lost him. 

Jha'Quan Jackson decommited from us and went to Tulane.  We lost him.  (Sounds to me like he did about the same so far)

A few others that went to similiar programs with a better recent success, like an FIU or Brandon Crossley going to Colorado State, may have rejected us.  

Shamar Jackson's whereabouts aren't 'unknown' - he is at ULM with a full ride to a FBS school.  

As far as the others go, I don't know if we rejected them or they rejected us.  Grades are a consistent problem with us as well - not to try to sound above anybody but we do sometimes lose kids at the last minute due to grades and test scores, and I know UNT does, too.   As a result, many of them end up at the FCS level, so I wouldn't be so sure about someone who lost their offer at the last minute and ended up at a SFA or Lamar.  The kid may just not have qualified. 

Lastly I've mentioned losing the equivalent of an entire recruiting class to the likes of Baylor and Arkansas, and I guarantee you this is a consistent problem.  You win some, you lose some.  But I'm telling you there is consistently more to the story than what people post online.

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

What SMU did was use playing time, a solid conference name, and the possibility of getting an advanced degree from their school to get these transfers. I don’t know how to say this without hurting a lot of feelings around here, but  they used their advantages we just don’t have. 

Dykes is also a helluva coach—always has been, too. SMU got someone to turn it around fast and might just be the one to stay there for awhile. I know this much—we ain’t beating them again anytime soon. You homers can negative this all you want, but it’s not changing anytime soon, since we lose our QB and the coach here has lost the team.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

What SMU did was use playing time, a solid conference name, and the possibility of getting an advanced degree from their school to get these transfers. I don’t know how to say this without hurting a lot of feelings around here, but  they used their advantages we just don’t have. 

Dykes is also a helluva coach—always has been, too. SMU got someone to turn it around fast and might just be the one to stay there for awhile. I know this much—we ain’t beating them again anytime soon. You homers can negative this all you want, but it’s not changing anytime soon, since we lose our QB and the coach here has lost the team.

OUCH !

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That's a serious charge. One I would expect Baker to recognize far more quickly than you or any fan, and Littrell to be fired immediately for.

... I also think it's 100% incorrect.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, ADLER said:

Shamar Johnson - 3* who committed to SMU early and stayed committed, only to have his scholarship offer pulled when SMU found a 'better' player on the transfer portal - whereabouts unknown

Wow! Can definitely be used against them on the High School recruiting trail. I also wonder how many HS Coaches they pissed off?

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That didn’t age well. 

A 3 point win over a complete spare hasn’t changed my mind that it looks like he’s lost the team. Since he had the KSU job dangled in front of him and turned them down, our team is 3-5, with blowout losses to Utah State, SMU, and Houston, as well as losses to Cal and USM. Our wins are against powerhouses known as ACU, UTSA, and MUTS. 

• Haha 1