2020 DT Devin Drew

dml7007

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

dSkloolllolI think this season is making the coaches go heavy on JUCO linemen for the next season. SL knows he won’t get that fat P5 head coaching gig...

Bring them in then!   I want to win now as well. 
If there are talent holes on the lines, then fill them ASAP.   
And if SL feels the guys he's been recruiting are good, but underachieving, then make the necessary changes to find someone who can get them to respond and play up to their potential.   I WANT SL to get a P5 gig.   It means we're doing well.

• Upvote 1

2018- Sa'afi, Colvin, Mcmillan

2019- David Sow (DNQ) Asher Frow

In the NFL they call them JAGs or Just A Guy. We have given five of them scholarships instead of trying to develop high school DL players in the last two years alone. We have signed so few high school DL players and then seen 1/4 of them leave the program within a year.

This guy already has multiple offers in October I suspect that number will increase as we get towards late November and we will no longer be considered. Then we move on to players like the ones above who have very few offers at all.

Or if by some miracle we sign a JUCO DL player with a good offer sheet he won't qualify.

But hey they're already 275 pounds and they can plug running lanes and allow our LB's to make plays 

Hey they can at least sub in on 3rd down and rush the passer

They could redshirt and develop under a great DL coach

Well... I guess it's good to have bigger guys for the scout team so the OL gets a good look. Great use of 5 scholarships.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

2018- Sa'afi, Colvin, Mcmillan

2019- David Sow (DNQ) Asher Frow

In the NFL they call them JAGs or Just A Guy. We have given five of them scholarships instead of trying to develop high school DL players in the last two years alone. We have signed so few high school DL players and then seen 1/4 of them leave the program within a year.

This guy already has multiple offers in October I suspect that number will increase as we get towards late November and we will no longer be considered. Then we move on to players like the ones above who have very few offers at all.

Or if by some miracle we sign a JUCO DL player with a good offer sheet he won't qualify.

But hey they're already 275 pounds and they can plug running lanes and allow our LB's to make plays 

Hey they can at least sub in on 3rd down and rush the passer

They could redshirt and develop under a great DL coach

Well... I guess it's good to have bigger guys for the scout team so the OL gets a good look. Great use of 5 scholarships.

I'd say the jury is still out on Frow.   Recall, he was a very late addition (once the coaches found out Sow wasn't gonna make it just before Fall Practice)... and he's already in the 2-deep and somewhat contributing.  He will have 2 more years to play after this one.   The others... yeah.  Especially McMillan who has barely played at all.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd say the jury is still out on Frow.   Recall, he was a very late addition (once the coaches found out Sow wasn't gonna make it just before Fall Practice)... and he's already in the 2-deep and somewhat contributing.  He will have 2 more years to play after this one.   The others... yeah.  Especially McMillan who has barely played at all.

He was still available late, only after we learned Sow wouldn't make it here you kind of made my point. He still has two more years I get it but I wont hold my breath. My hope is that Kenneth Dotson and Jimmy Walker are developing during their redshirt year and along with Leblanc start a foundation for the next few seasons.

• 1 month later...