DRC: UNT hasn't hit its stride offenisvely -- Reeder, Littrell and Fine tell us why

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Skkkkyyyyyy hiiiiighhhhh expectations. Whew! Go to a bowl game and win it and don't get blown out continuously throughout the process. I guess those are TOOOOO freaking high. 

hillary clinton nod GIF

Sky high, as in there were quite a few people who had us winning the conference and going 12-2.  Those are sky high expectations.

• Upvote 1

Some of you detected Fine’s initial shoulder injury at Cal.  Not his throwing side, but read on another board where it can still affect his throwing motion thus accuracy.

Losing Rico Bussey, Jr, was big but seems to have become very big. That moved up our receivers youth movement sooner than we wanted.

As BillySee58 has said “this team still has talent” but I think we’d all agree it must have more time to develop on Game Days.

GMG!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

So now you're saying those expectations were too high?

Let's find just a little consistency, Ben.

12-2? Uh, yah. That was not going to happen. Have you seen Reffett coach without key players in place? Surely you have. I mistakenly had us at 8-4. 

My consistency request is just win and when you lose, don't get your teeth pushed down your throat.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

56 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

12-2? Uh, yah. That was not going to happen. Have you seen Reffett coach without key players in place? Surely you have. I mistakenly had us at 8-4. 

My consistency request is just win and when you lose, don't get your teeth pushed down your throat.  

Regardless, those expectations were there by several fans (myself included).  Do you mean to tell me I have higher standards/expectations than you?!?
th?id=OIP.KIoIY08WUCLpEDgDAhkGdgHaJN&pid

The team obviously fell short of my expectations, and I'm not happy about that.
Your expectations are still on the table.   Probable?  No.   But still there.    Why wouldn't you wait to see if the team fails your expectations before railing on them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Regardless, those expectations were there by several fans (myself included).  Do you mean to tell me I have higher standards/expectations than you?!?
th?id=OIP.KIoIY08WUCLpEDgDAhkGdgHaJN&pid

The team obviously fell short of my expectations, and I'm not happy about that.
Your expectations are still on the table.   Probable?  No.   But still there.    Why wouldn't you wait to see if the team fails your expectations before railing on them?

I hate to break it to you, with your big badge of honor all, but this team is not running the table. At this point, I'd be semi surprised if they split their remaining games. 

As far as my expectations vs yours, it's not really a pissing match. I have great expectations, but I do have some realism in me. And I knew the defense was going to be barely treading water this year, at best. They have not been recruiting DL. Defenses do not do well if you don't recruit them AND land them. 

"UNT tweaked its offense slightly when Reeder arrived. The Mean Green put more emphasis on utilizing tight ends and vowed to pick up the tempo to keep defenses off balance. Those plans have been derailed by injuries that kept starting tight end Kelvin Smith out of a loss to Houston and have limited him much of the season."

Something tells putting a huge emphasis on getting the TE involved when you have one (1!) with experience returning wasn't the best choice.

Pirtle is a converted WR who is also a walk on.. The third string TE Kyleb Howell is also not on scholarship. The downvotes may rack up for this comment, but IMO Smith's disappointing play probably has a lot to do with going full on vegan as a 230+ lb. FBS tight end. 

What in the world made them want to feature the TE more this season? The only thing I would feature a TE for in this offense is pass blocking because we need 6 to give Fine more than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

What in the world made them want to feature the TE more this season? The only thing I would feature a TE for in this offense is pass blocking because we need 6 to give Fine more than 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.

Good coaches match their playbook to the personnel. This whole TE focus seems forced.

We need to make sure that pass catchers are featured - WR, TE, RB - who cares.

• Upvote 1