Favorite UNT Logos/Traditions?

homefield

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

If someone hadn’t got “worked up” over something we’d still have blue and orange on our uniforms like nUTSAck, there would be no BIG ASS North Texas Battle Flag on a BIG ASS flag pole out by Apogee, there’d be no boomer, there’d be no Model A, there’d be no bonfire and we’d probably still have Benford  coaching our basketball team.

Rick

Wow. Thank you for your service, soldier. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

It's funny to see how worked up people on this board get over it, but I guess they gotta be upset at something at every opportunity. 

Hello C&TV, sorry if I came off like one of the stix in the mud, but we have a long tradition of allowing people to screw up merchandising concerning our colors and logos.

Our school color is Green (Pantone 356 with white being the accent color).  Our school identity is closely tied to Green. Our nickname is the Mean _ _ _ _ _ . Yet bright green merchandise is often very difficult to locate for vendors that don't want to invest time in locating the proper textiles. Us accepting black, white gray forest, mint, teal, black or any other color clothing enables careless vendors to produce off-color garbage that just has a green logo on it. This would never be accepted at other colleges, and it shouldn't be at North Texas.

In Austin, the confiscate and destroy merchandise that does not meet their branding standards.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Hello C&TV, sorry if I came off like one of the stix in the mud, but we have a long tradition of allowing people to screw up merchandising concerning our colors and logos.

Our school color is Green (Pantone 356 with white being the accent color).  Our school identity is closely tied to Green. Our nickname is the Mean _ _ _ _ _ . Yet bright green merchandise is often very difficult to locate for vendors that don't want to invest time in locating the proper textiles. Us accepting black, white gray forest, mint, teal, black or any other color clothing enables careless vendors to produce off-color garbage that just has a green logo on it. This would never be accepted at other colleges, and it shouldn't be at North Texas.

In Austin, the confiscate and destroy merchandise that does not meet their branding standards.

I mean, that's just simply not true. UCLA literally has their colors copyrighted as UCLA Blue and UCLA Gold, but you'll always see various shades of that blue for sale anywhere you go. I get trying to be specific about the green, my issue is more with those who think they're some sort of martyr for the school because they throw up a fit over an albino squirrel. 

And when you say Pantone 356 exactly what green is that supposed to be? Because when I started in 2001 we were definitely a forest green until TD came along and lightened it up.We mostly seem to have stuck with that lighter Kelly Green, but you can still find various shades of it in the Apogee store or the campus bookstore. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

I mean, that's just simply not true. UCLA literally has their colors copyrighted as UCLA Blue and UCLA Gold, but you'll always see various shades of that blue for sale anywhere you go. I get trying to be specific about the green, my issue is more with those who think they're some sort of martyr for the school because they throw up a fit over an albino squirrel. 

And when you say Pantone 356 exactly what green is that supposed to be? Because when I started in 2001 we were definitely a forest green until TD came along and lightened it up.We mostly seem to have stuck with that lighter Kelly Green, but you can still find various shades of it in the Apogee store or the campus bookstore. 

It's the kelly green, sometimes called Irish green, same color, and no, it's often not a perfect match between different textile manufacturers. And the reason a particular color was selected was because, like you said, vendors were picking whatever color they could find easily or cheaply.

About the squirrel: I thought the whole thing was funny, including the irony of the poor thing's demise, but like former colors and former logos it certainly should not be promoted as a primary or alternate mascot.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, ADLER said:

It's the kelly green, sometimes called Irish green, same color, and no, it's often not a perfect match between different textile manufacturers. And the reason a particular color was selected was because, like you said, vendors were picking whatever color they could find easily or cheaply.

About the squirrel: I thought the whole thing was funny, including the irony of the poor thing's demise, but like former colors and former logos it certainly should not be promoted as a primary or alternate mascot.

I made it pretty clear in my original posts and follow-up that it should be just a one-off, kitschy type of thing.   The highjacking around it being any more than that was elsewhere.  (not saying YOU think I meant it as more, but maybe some others did).

To clarify:

@homefield, DEFINITELY don't make an albino squirrel a major branding effort for your company or you'll be sorely disappointed in sales.    But if y'all already have a dozen different green shirts with a diving eagle, maybe a one-off green shirt with an albino squirrel would be a better seller than yet-another green shirt with the diving eagle.  That's all I'm saying.

Also, for any youth items, you may want to use this version of Scrappy:
scrappy-youth.png  or  scrappy-standard.png
These are the official versions the school uses in marketing to kids:
https://identityguide.unt.edu/create-our-look/university-spirit-marks

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Martyr?  By caring about preserving our traditions and history. I am thankful for those that have stood up for the few unique things we do have and for not allowing a dumb a$$ AD introduce new colors, etc...

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2

On 10/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, LongJim said:

Judas Priest, this thing is terrifying.

Does it have teeth??

eppy_1988.png

I still laugh when I see this post.

So true, that thing looks like some kind of demonic fanged opossum. 

Would you let it anywhere near your small children?

Edited by ADLER
  • Haha 5

First...everybody behave, this is a family friendly forum

Not necessarily a UNT Logo or Tradition, ... but, it is perfect framed artifact for your Mean Green Man Cave......It's...

Necessary Roughness

Here's an incredibly unique, probably one of a kind, souvenir prop from the film:

il_fullxfull.1294298456_qb2k.jpg

il_794xN.1341549779_16ze.jpg

It's Kathy Ireland's actual soccer shorts from film.

il_fullxfull.1341547647_k4cz.jpg

Kathy Ireland Props Necessary Roughness 1990-1991 TSU Soccer Shorts

Cast  - Movie - Texas State University Uniform 1990s

US$ 49.00

Details: Film released in 1991
Was bought from someone who worked wardrobe for the movie Necessary Roughness in 1990

Condition: Gently Used

Click HERE for Link

• Upvote 1