Favorite UNT Logos/Traditions?

homefield

FFR and I once produced a t-shirt that featured a more close up version of this photo........

Image result for Photo of just an eagle's eyes

The image mainly featured the eyes and the beak just below the nostrils. The message was THE EYES OF NORTH TEXAS ARE UPON YOU". We completely sold out of them.

This one might work just as well, with the same message but with a NT Battle flag in the background.

Image result for Photo of just an eagle's eyes

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

This is great.  Became aware of your site after hearing an ad on Podcast Ain't Played Nobody.  Really like the look of your stuff but I, as do most on the board, bleed green and can't ever justify buying gear for another school.  Glad to hear I'll soon be able to become a customer.

As for logos,

The stand alone "diving eagle" (without the "North Texas" text)

Image result for north texas logo

North Texas Battle Flag

Image result for north texas battle flag

Given the vintage approach of your site, here are a couple vintage mascots

Eppy

eppy_1988.png

Image result for North Texas eppy

Old Scrappy

61812_ntsu_eagle_bobble_head.jpg

(Ignore the NTSU acronym.  You will NOT sell anything with that school reference)

Love the PAPN boys - they've been good to us. Good to know on NTSU as well!

• Upvote 1

Here's another divisive idea.  Would certainly be popular among the students.

But when the team scores and the band plays the fight song, the student section like to throw in a "Mother F***in'" in the middle of the lyrics.  So something that said "U-N-T Mother F***in' Eagles" would be an interesting product.  But it might get your license pulled too.  Haha!

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

17 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Nor is it unique to the University of North Texas because there are squirrel clubs all over the country.  

It was a fabrication by two lost individuals at the  large texas university at Austin.

http://www.albinosquirrel.com/about.html

squirrelhead.jpgASPS History

The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society was founded in April of 2001 by Dustin Ballard and Gary Chang at the University of Texas. The club was created in reaction to the dwindling population of albino squirrels found on the UT campus...

That’s right,...every time you mention the stupid albino squirrel your singing the praises of a creation from longhorn nation.  

Crazy man. I also heard UT had professors and students and a football team before UNT. Sounds like we we sing the praises of longhorn nation a lot around here. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Crazy man. I also heard UT had professors and students and a football team before UNT. Sounds like we we sing the praises of longhorn nation a lot around here. 

Except no one has ever falsely passed off our professors and students and our football team to be a unique tradition at North Texas.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 2

4 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Except no one has ever falsely passed off our professors and students and our football team to be a unique tradition at North Texas.

Rick

Nor did they ever with the squirrels. And so what if it's not a 'unique tradition', people liked seeing them around campus and they became a little bit of folklore. God forbid people have fun while they're in college other than watching football. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Nor did they ever with the squirrels. And so what if it's not a 'unique tradition', people liked seeing them around campus and they became a little bit of folklore. God forbid people have fun while they're in college other than watching football. 

My friends and i had lots of fun in college that had nothing to do with the official imagery of the sports teams. And we didn't even think of trying to incorporate it into the sports imagery,.....

Related image

• Upvote 4

On 10/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, NT93 said:

Seems as though my time at UNT coincided with one bad logo after another (not that I was there so long, but it seemed like the logo changed every other year).  

I can’t really disagree that the one you referenced was the worst, but my goodness there is plenty of competition from that time period.😩😂

I’m so thankful for the diving eagle we have now.

And as @ADLER mentioned, get the correct color green.  

That's the the difference between hiring a marketing firm to do professional branding, and someone in the Athletic Department saying "My 14 year old daughter loves to draw, let me see what she can come up with!!!!!'" 

Seriously, when I saw all of those ugly-A$$ designs that changed about every year, I guarantee it was some kinda scenario like this...

Branding is expensive, but when its done by someone who knows what they're doing, it's worth the cost.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

I think there was a grassroots campaign to get the albino squirrel into the official UNT traditions/brand. And it had some momentum.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, trud1966 said:

That's the the difference between hiring a marketing firm to do professional branding, and someone in the Athletic Department saying "My 14 year old daughter loves to draw, let me see what she can come up with!!!!!'" 

Seriously, when I saw all of those ugly-A$$ designs that changed about every year, I guarantee it was some kinda scenario like this...

Branding is expensive, but when its done by someone who knows what they're doing, it's worth the cost.   

At the time mentioned above, which was the early and mid 90’s  the Helwig regime entered into a contract with CLC and relied solely on CLC’s  professional opinions as our branding experts.  The problem with that is, for several reasons I won’t go into...CLC didn’t give a damn about North Texas and it’s small sales market,..and did not know what they were doing..for North Texas.

It was obvious to anyone that the product was pure shit and ugly as could be and disrespectful to the level of quality that proud alumni expected.  

When I confronted and questioned Helwig’s assistant Tara Green...(her son is the QB at Rice)....as to why in hell they were adding orange and blue to our logo/wordmarks,  she got very defensive and said all of the market analysis they were given showed that the most popular colors that would best enhance Green & White and give North Texas the best chance to increase sales was Copper & Blue,....which is Orange & Blue, but whatever?.  

And of course I tried to point it out that there’s no better way to sell merchandise than winning.  But they continued to throw things at the wall to see what would stick and we got what we got: ugly colors, ugly ass designs all recommended by outsiders who had zero vested interest in the Mean Green.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Nor is it unique to the University of North Texas because there are squirrel clubs all over the country.  

It was a fabrication by two lost individuals at the  large texas university at Austin.

http://www.albinosquirrel.com/about.html

squirrelhead.jpgASPS History

The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society was founded in April of 2001 by Dustin Ballard and Gary Chang at the University of Texas. The club was created in reaction to the dwindling population of albino squirrels found on the UT campus...

That’s right,...every time you mention the stupid albino squirrel your singing the praises of a creation from longhorn nation.  

Do you love and appreciate Apogee?

The only reason the squirrel ever got a moments notice at North Texas was due to the vitriolic hate from the anti-athletics crowd who used the squirrel to mock anything traditional and/or connected to North Texas athletics.  Much of it was encouraged by our anti-athletics journalism department in the early 2000’s when we were trying to gain student support to build Apogee.

The anti-athletics crowd tried every dirty trick they could to fight athletics on campus, within the city, in the DRC and in and around the Denia-L neighborhood.  They even went so far as to hold protests at the state capital before congressional committee meetings when university officials applied for the bonding of the stadium.  

So people who tried everything they could to prevent us from building Apogee are represented by the stupid squirrel in my opinion.

Any serious fan & supporter of Mean Green athletics knows the ridiculousness at any suggestion that the squirrel is any way form or fashion a North Texas tradition.  It’s not.

As for me and Scrappy we say eff tU and eff their squirrel loving freaks.

7D37767C-FE94-4EEF-998F-0F7781EBBC6A.png.d2d998e640307e7e7181a02e1c3c58f0.png

Rick

Man FireFightnRick you need to have a beer or something. It's not that serious. In my time at UNT 2013-2017 the albino squirrel was strictly a gimmicky joke good luck charm. We never once considered it a official trademark of the university, discussed its life importance, anti athletics sentiments or connection to UT? Most of us were large supporters of Apogee & athletics & none of that was discussed with a squirrel lmao. Literally something we laughed about walking to class. Chillllllll

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think there was a grassroots campaign to get the albino squirrel into the official UNT traditions/brand. And it had some momentum.

I was on campus when it happened, it was never any kind of intention to replace Scrappy or Mean Green or Eagles as a mascot, it was only intended to be a secondary mascot because people liked seeing them around campus. It's funny to see how worked up people on this board get over it, but I guess they gotta be upset at something at every opportunity. 

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

Man FireFightnRick you need to have a beer or something. It's not that serious. In my time at UNT 2013-2017 the albino squirrel was strictly a gimmicky joke good luck charm. We never once considered it a official trademark of the university, discussed its life importance, anti athletics sentiments or connection to UT? Most of us were large supporters of Apogee & athletics & none of that was discussed with a squirrel lmao. Literally something we laughed about walking to class. Chillllllll

No sir.  Nothing wrong with anything you mentioned....not at all for you and your buds to have a good ol laugh with a “gimmicky joke”.  Only that’s not where it ended and if you didn’t notice that then you weren’t paying attention.

There was a kick off event at the Murchison Center,..can’t remember if it was for the grand opening for the new organ,..promotional event etc...?  During that event they showed a promotional video and within that video was a list of our traditions.  They flashed bonfire, boomer, The Green Machine, the spirit bell and that stupid ass Squirrel.

It just so happens that two Talon alumni and myself had a meeting on campus scheduled that next week with a rep from the presidents office and the head of the URCM Dept and Dr. With from Student Services concerning The Green Machine and Boomer.  

Prior to the start of the meeting I asked the URCM Director about that video and why the squirrel was being pawned off as part of our Traditions and she said there were some people on campus that really love the squirrel and all that it represents, and blah blah blah, so they decided to include it in that presentation. 

So no......it wasn’t just some gimmicky joke.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

7 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

It's funny to see how worked up people on this board get over it, but I guess they gotta be upset at something at every opportunity. 

If someone hadn’t got “worked up” over something we’d still have blue and orange on our uniforms like nUTSAck, there would be no BIG ASS North Texas Battle Flag on a BIG ASS flag pole out by Apogee, there’d be no boomer, there’d be no Model A, there’d be no bonfire and we’d probably still have Benford  coaching our basketball team.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2