Favorite UNT Logos/Traditions?

homefield

17 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

For throwbacks the 60’s interlocked NT is popular..

D9E33C72-5C5F-4478-9DD2-3A2402787851.jpeg.e243432d3b27ba6e9a4a218e7fce7d25.jpeg

But not as popular as the 70’s era “Flyn’ Worm”.

4A486BF0-D888-44B6-A3AF-741D4EE851C0.jpeg.a96f5e3e8ab29fc246d2650c94e06bf7.jpeg

For current logos,...the logo that is a derivative of the “Flyin’ Worm” is the “Son Of Worm”...or as we like to call it The SOW, and is the standard mark for the Mean Green..  

208A2A34-C0BF-478F-95C5-D2FF5AD5E449.jpeg.83c1ffce450655b93f5419f4e9c39fd3.jpeg

And the flag design that is very popular and was voted on and chosen by our fan base is the “North Texas Battle Flag”.

E38BA564-AD87-4FED-BCAC-59B8BBE17E20.jpeg.bf5f20538cd775f75d0e129187126cbe.jpeg

A0C3B85B-3F4B-40EE-8D1F-94FA4D71343A.jpeg.d08c3298870506420a3c4ef7e6e5a1ff.jpeg

Rick

Man, these are all so good. Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely know of the legend of the Flying Worm.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

What is interesting to me, and something @Harry can be proud of as well is that two of our posters here on gmg designed two of them.

greengrenade2 (passed away 4 years ago) designed the Flyin’ Worm in the early 70’s for Coach Fry,...and @drex created the battle flag in ‘86 for a speaking event for Dr. Hurley.

Rick

Oh no way! What a cool legacy for both posters to have.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, ADLER said:

If this is actually serious:

Rule # 1  - Pantone 356 and White   -  Never anything else .

Rule # 2  - In case of any doubt or confusion, read Rule  # 1 again.

Copper, Silver, Gray, Black, Blue and Orange, Forrest Green, and Khaki are not acceptable for textile merchandise.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7HQ5Anbl41BOYWsyugqN

All other logos are either secondary or tiny niche fetishes.

ff_2829864alt2_full.jpg&w=900schf-muntge_1024x1024.png?v=1476117740s-l1600.jpgImage result for north texas basketball jersey

North Texas Mean Green Personalized Distressed Football Pullover Hoodie - Green

Definitely serious! Always to the very best to match the Pantones.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hi Connor!  Ever heard of an albino squirrel?

There’s one that has haunted (or brought luck to, depending on who you ask) UNT students for the past few decades.

It would be a funny shirt design as an “inside joke” that all UNT alumni would understand.

I actually haven't - that is so perfect. We just may have to look into this squirrel!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I’ve always wanted to see more of the flying worm from the 70s but also the simple NT design as well. One last thing putting a vintage scrappy on a shirt....oh and can we please stick with one shade of green? 😓 

GMG 

F2CACD5A-8DBF-47DB-967D-3B8158864BAF.jpeg

Good to know on the shade of green - we definitely have this Scrappy ogo saved in a design file from a few months ago. It's so good.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Anything with our current logo (SOW), the green battle flag, the interlocking NT, and an authentic game jersey both green and white.

I also endorse anything that reflects our Texas heritage, i.e., the state of Texas silhouette with the SOW on it. 

image.png.ff93d455d86054a0206742495142d788.pngImage result for university of north texas logo images

Image result for university of north texas logo imagesimage.png.ce153da3ce0536ae559619ee15dc2b36.png

image.jpeg.bfde803a6ba9bab713eda17178bff957.jpeg

All great suggestions - Battle Flag is something I was unaware of - a great idea. Now I'm imagining this has multiple shades of green from the photo?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, homefield said:

I actually haven't - that is so perfect. We just may have to look into this squirrel!

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Please don't unless the squirrel has a bullet in his/her head.

Also,
As you can see, it's kinda divisive.   Lots of older folks don't like it.  
I certainly wouldn't make it your cornerstone marketing emblem for NT.   Just a kitschy thing, but instantly recognizable and relatable to NT students/alumni.

8 hours ago, TheNewEra said:

Personally there's only so much solid green apparel I can take. I've started buying mostly polos and merch that is black because it goes with anything. I love that the football team has added alot black to jerseys and sideline apparel. My Nike black longsleeve sideline team sweater is one of my favorite things we've released. 

This is a good point on neutral color availability.  I’m all for green but other options are nice too.  I have a navy long sleeve tee with white logo and lettering that I can wear with anything.

Edited by tmjerm
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Because it is not a mascot of the university.  It is a freak of nature rodent.

Lol it gave good luck to many previous students and alumni. When I left Willis from an all nighter heading to a test and saw Lucky I knew I was in good shape.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, homefield said:

Hey guys! Just joined the community - I'm Connor and I help run Homefield. We make premium (read: extra comfortable) college apparel, and try to make unique/vintage designs for schools of all sizes. We know that no matter how much research we do, it'll never compare to the knowledge of die-hards, which is why we joined this community.

We just became licensed for UNT, and we're still in the research phase of making sure we make thoughtful UNT apparel for when we do launch it. This is where you come in. No one loves the Mean Green and the school more than you, and we want to learn from the experts.

Mainly: what are your favorite UNT logos/traditions? We only want to make apparel that serves the most passionate fans, and we take that input quite seriously.

Even if you don't have any favorite logos/traditions, if you ever are thinking about ordering some UNT stuff when it goes live, let me know and I'll be sure to hook you up with a solid discount.

Thanks,
Connor

This is great.  Became aware of your site after hearing an ad on Podcast Ain't Played Nobody.  Really like the look of your stuff but I, as do most on the board, bleed green and can't ever justify buying gear for another school.  Glad to hear I'll soon be able to become a customer.

As for logos,

The stand alone "diving eagle" (without the "North Texas" text)

Image result for north texas logo

North Texas Battle Flag

Image result for north texas battle flag

Given the vintage approach of your site, here are a couple vintage mascots

Eppy

eppy_1988.png

Image result for North Texas eppy

Old Scrappy

61812_ntsu_eagle_bobble_head.jpg

(Ignore the NTSU acronym.  You will NOT sell anything with that school reference)

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, homefield said:

All great suggestions - Battle Flag is something I was unaware of - a great idea. Now I'm imagining this has multiple shades of green from the photo?

Yes. A slightly lighter "flying worm" era green on the bottom.

Edited by Hunter Green

20 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

From the 50's/60's. The first cartoon Scrappy.  Legend has it that it was drawn by the legendary Bill McClanahan. 

Related image

This illustration was also the model for the first NTSC Desk Eagle, and the subsequent NTSU Bobblehead. 

Both are seen here standing in front of the Fouts Field Eagle.

4BDF433A-CB37-43B5-B476-17635033659A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

I’ve always wanted to see more of the flying worm from the 70s but also the simple NT design as well. One last thing putting a vintage scrappy on a shirt....oh and can we please stick with one shade of green? 😓 

GMG 

F2CACD5A-8DBF-47DB-967D-3B8158864BAF.jpeg

TRT Scrappy

21 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

From the 50's/60's. The first cartoon Scrappy.  Legend has it that it was drawn by the legendary Bill McClanahan. 

Related image

Low T Scrappy.

Love them both so hard.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Because it is not a mascot of the university.  It is a freak of nature rodent.

Nor is it unique to the University of North Texas because there are squirrel clubs all over the country.  

It was a fabrication by two lost individuals at the  large texas university at Austin.

http://www.albinosquirrel.com/about.html

squirrelhead.jpgASPS History

The Albino Squirrel Preservation Society was founded in April of 2001 by Dustin Ballard and Gary Chang at the University of Texas. The club was created in reaction to the dwindling population of albino squirrels found on the UT campus...

That’s right,...every time you mention the stupid albino squirrel your singing the praises of a creation from longhorn nation.  

Do you love and appreciate Apogee?

The only reason the squirrel ever got a moments notice at North Texas was due to the vitriolic hate from the anti-athletics crowd who used the squirrel to mock anything traditional and/or connected to North Texas athletics.  Much of it was encouraged by our anti-athletics journalism department in the early 2000’s when we were trying to gain student support to build Apogee.

The anti-athletics crowd tried every dirty trick they could to fight athletics on campus, within the city, in the DRC and in and around the Denia-L neighborhood.  They even went so far as to hold protests at the state capital before congressional committee meetings when university officials applied for the bonding of the stadium.  

So people who tried everything they could to prevent us from building Apogee are represented by the stupid squirrel in my opinion.

Any serious fan & supporter of Mean Green athletics knows the ridiculousness at any suggestion that the squirrel is any way form or fashion a North Texas tradition.  It’s not.

As for me and Scrappy we say eff tU and eff their squirrel loving freaks.

7D37767C-FE94-4EEF-998F-0F7781EBBC6A.png.d2d998e640307e7e7181a02e1c3c58f0.png

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3