Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
TheColonyEagle

Seth Littrell's Record

Recommended Posts

Everyone is knee-jerking here on SL, but we have to remember that he is still learning. This was his first year with real expectations, while also changing out the OC. Also, his focus on offensive skill positions has finally caught up to him. Our Oline play has always been meh under him, but he’s had a QB that could make plays in spite of it. Now, that QB has been beaten to a pulp. Like his mentor, Mike Leach, defense always falls behind the offense. We just have to hope he continues to get better as a head coach, plus he has the major advantage of playing in the worst conference in the country. He’s gonna be here for a few more years, so we need to see him earn this contract we have made for him. And it’ll all start with him finding a QB to trust.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure how he did against winning teams at LATech, but he turned them around quickly, and despite a 5-7 record his first year, wound up with a 22-15 record through 3 years as well prior to Skip getting there.

He was 4-14 vs winning teams during his three seasons at La Tech from 2010-2012.

Like @meanrob suggested at, its extremely difficult to be able to claim as a G5 coach a winning record vs winning FBS programs.  In fact I t may be be one of the most incredible accomplishments any football coach can ever claim?  

You have to be consistently good for one.  But in looking over all these programs a second thing you must be is lucky because a G5 doesn’t have very many winning teams even on their schedule each year.  Like I said earlier,....Dykes doesn’t get a win over a winning program at this point today because we North Texas (a 9-4 team last year)...suddenly can’t get out of our own way.

So you gotta be good and be consistently good and lucky at the same time.

 

Rick

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Just like his games vs winning FBS teams. He’s not barely losing with a 9-11 record. He’s getting blown out to the tune of 5-15 vs them. 


How many G5 coaches make the money he makes?

Top 10 paid coach in G5. Highest paid in the conference. How many on the top 10 list are 5-15 and have never won their conference?

All good questions. Like I said, I’m not totally in SLs corner, just want to know what his peers’ record is. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm wondering if we've seen the high water mark of Reff's defense already (last year's salty defense was very good!), and he won't be able to replicate it again.  

And I do believe there's 1 more piece Littrell needs to send packing as he did with coach Brown last year.  But he's a dear friend, so that may not happen... and Littrell's career is going to suffer for it.  As in, no more KSU-like offers.  Pretty sure everyone in the P5 world is paying attention to what's going on at Arkansas and will not make the same error.

One thing that was hinted at a couple years ago, but I haven't seen this discussed season, is our play at the NT position.

This is singularly the most important position for the scheme Ref runs.  Might be worth revisiting our depth there, and evaluating our lack of success around that talking point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Everyone is knee-jerking here on SL, but we have to remember that he is still learning. This was his first year with real expectations, while also changing out the OC. Also, his focus on offensive skill positions has finally caught up to him. Our Oline play has always been meh under him, but he’s had a QB that could make plays in spite of it. Now, that QB has been beaten to a pulp. Like his mentor, Mike Leach, defense always falls behind the offense. We just have to hope he continues to get better as a head coach, plus he has the major advantage of playing in the worst conference in the country. He’s gonna be here for a few more years, so we need to see him earn this contract we have made for him. And it’ll all start with him finding a QB to trust.

If Littrell is still learning then he has absolutely no business making 1.8 million dollars a year. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greenminer said:

One thing that was hinted at a couple years ago, but I haven't seen this discussed season, is our play at the NT position.

This is singularly the most important position for the scheme Ref runs.  Might be worth revisiting our depth there, and evaluating our lack of success around that talking point.

We keep recruiting nice NTs that don't make it to campus (Rowland & Shaw)  Couple that with English's injuries, and we have 1 guy worth of depth behind Novil (who, himself, is a converted 3tech) in RsF LeBlanc.  It's definitely a problem.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, meanrob said:

just want to know what his peers’ record is. 

For starters...

Bill Clark UAB: 13-8 vs winning FBS programs in his three 1/2 seasons 2014, 2017-2019.

 

Rick

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

For starters...

Bill Clark UAB: 13-8 vs winning FBS programs in his three 1/2 seasons 2014, 2017-2019.

 

Rick

Tyson Helton wKY: 3-1 vs winning FBS program in this his first season as a head coach.

 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

You are correct.  We owe him every penny if we fire him, and it's way too early to discuss that.

The buyout is the amount he has to pay out to us if he terminates the contract early.  

This is all fairly standard and it has been since before we returned to 1a.

If you are stating that NT owes Littrell his full contract if he is terminated, you are wrong. 

Buyouts occur on both sides of the contract.  

Edited by GrandGreen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Tyson Helton wKY: 3-1 vs winning FBS program in this his first season as a head coach.

 

Rick

They only have four wins over FBS opponents and one was vs 1-4 ODU and the other 3-3 FIU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

If Littrell is still learning then he has absolutely no business making 1.8 million dollars a year. 

So you stopped learning at your job? You are perfect at it? 

Heres a hint, Nick Saban still learns on the job, as does Dabo Swinney...

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So you stopped learning at your job? You are perfect at it? 

Heres a hint, Nick Saban still learns on the job, as does Dabo Swinney...

Seriously? I’ll give you a pass on this one. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a big picture perspective...part of my frustration is personal. I HATE the narrative surrounding Littrell and UNT. All the "oh...don't worry, LIttrell will be gone soon." "He won't be at UNT long." "He's gone after this year"

It's as if UNT doesn't deserve Seth Littrell. I hate it. Hearing all the outsiders basically tell us that we're lucky to even have a football program and should be thankful that anyone would want to coach us. (I know....taking it personal but I can't help it)

And I know that's not Littrell's fault...but I guarantee that narrative was part of his agent's ploy to get him more money. And that narrative was based on smoke and mirrors, perfect timing with our schedules and our past. Now that he's got his money...my expectations of him are to put us on the national scene and win conference championships MINIMUM. That's what he's getting paid to do now.

Our 2018 season was a 9 win season yes, but that was without a doubt from top to bottom the weakest schedule I've ever seen UNT play. We literally played 1 decent team and that was in the bowl game where we got destroyed. We won 9 games and should've won 11 against that schedule. He turned that into a big raise and a new deal.

I saw another poster ask if we pay coaches? Yes Have a great facilities? Yes Have a great nutrition program? yes. None of that matters if we don't win championships. 

Donors and the administration have done their part. Fans are showing up. We're not showing up for a 6 year rebuild. (in which we're in year 4)

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

From a big picture perspective...part of my frustration is personal. I HATE the narrative surrounding Littrell and UNT. All the "oh...don't worry, LIttrell will be gone soon." "He won't be at UNT long." "He's gone after this year"

It's as if UNT doesn't deserve Seth Littrell. I hate it. Hearing all the outsiders basically tell us that we're lucky to even have a football program and should be thankful that anyone would want to coach us. (I know....taking it personal but I can't help it)

And I know that's not Littrell's fault...but I guarantee that narrative was part of his agent's ploy to get him more money. And that narrative was based on smoke and mirrors, perfect timing with our schedules and our past. Now that he's got his money...my expectations of him are to put us on the national scene and win conference championships MINIMUM. That's what he's getting paid to do now.

Our 2018 season was a 9 win season yes, but that was without a doubt from top to bottom the weakest schedule I've ever seen UNT play. We literally played 1 decent team and that was in the bowl game where we got destroyed. We won 9 games and should've won 11 against that schedule. He turned that into a big raise and a new deal.

I saw another poster ask if we pay coaches? Yes Have a great facilities? Yes Have a great nutrition program? yes. None of that matters if we don't win championships. 

Donors and the administration have done their part. Fans are showing up. We're not showing up for a 6 year rebuild. (in which we're in year 4)

People 'round here don't want to hear none of this. Things are gravy until they're not, and then they still are. Softest fan base I've ever experienced, and I'm a part of them. We just need to shut up, sit down, and be happy with our bowl drubbings and expect nothing except nothing. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

People 'round here don't want to hear none of this. Things are gravy until they're not, and then they still are. Softest fan base I've ever experienced, and I'm a part of them. We just need to shut up, sit down, and be happy with our bowl drubbings and expect nothing except nothing. 

The same people that say we basically don't deserve Seth Littrell are also the ones that are constantly telling me how unappreciative I am for what we have because of "how bad it used to be"

If we were still half assing everything surrounding this program I might give them the benefit of the doubt but we're not...

Years and years of apples....but we're now oranges

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meanrob said:

They only have four wins over FBS opponents and one was vs 1-4 ODU and the other 3-3 FIU. 

I posted he’s 3-1 vs winning FBS programs.  

I count the wins over records that are tied as a win over a winning FBS program since they are a decent team and aren’t technically a losing program, and without them the sample size would be extremely small.  

 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I posted he’s 3-1 vs winning FBS programs.  

I count the wins over records that are tied as a win over a winning FBS program since they are a decent team and aren’t technically a losing program, and without them the sample size would be extremely small.  

 

Rick

When I got the 5-15 record for Seth I did not count teams at 500 as winning records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest weakness on our staff is Langston.  Spencer Leftwich is killing time down the road as the strength and conditioning coach at Lake Dallas.  I would go after him as he is a proven D1 OL coach.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

When I got the 5-15 record for Seth I did not count teams at 500 as winning records.

Ok.  I did.  But teams that finished 6-7 I counted as a losing program despite the fact that they finished 6-6 and lost their bowl game.  

Many FBS,..especially a G5 will usually have losses to P5 teams.  Doesn’t mean they are bad programs, and many .500 teams are in that category.  So I consider a win over a 6-6 FBS program a positive.  But if they finished 6-7 I didn’t count that as a win over a winning FBS program.

 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, greenminer said:

One thing that was hinted at a couple years ago, but I haven't seen this discussed season, is our play at the NT position.

This is singularly the most important position for the scheme Ref runs.  Might be worth revisiting our depth there, and evaluating our lack of success around that talking point.

I've brought this up plenty. We failed to get a guy who could play that position in 4 classes and had to move Novil over to NT this season and ask him to gain 20+ pounds. It's a huge part of the reason we are getting destroyed in the run game. We have signed so few high school defensive lineman in each class and had 3 or 4 of them leave within a year of signing.

We signed a JUCO player from California who had no other FBS offers over the summer months after signing day, that tells you all you need to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

When I got the 5-15 record for Seth I did not count teams at 500 as winning records.

BTW...I have SL with 8 wins, 16 losses over FBS programs with winning records.

 

A65FFFC8-F638-45BB-9F19-E3056CD5BBBD.png.9c22bad2b46bc140912ac8292a5b3f65.png

6DA895CE-0961-4A17-A7F2-82FB0847DB76.png.43104ec36b943e77d4f7936d36415f06.png

6FE4A4A2-E9E3-4EC0-990F-4C9ED861C7AC.png.2180daa8f4616a50d2ce0540978d3a97.png

 

He’s 0-3 this year so far.

 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If you are stating that NT owes Littrell his full contract if he is terminated, you are wrong. 

Buyouts occur on both sides of the contract.  

I don't believe that is correct for this contract.  The DRC has a copy, so @Brett Vito could answer for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Everyone is knee-jerking here on SL, but we have to remember that he is still learning. This was his first year with real expectations, while also changing out the OC. Also, his focus on offensive skill positions has finally caught up to him. Our Oline play has always been meh under him, but he’s had a QB that could make plays in spite of it. Now, that QB has been beaten to a pulp. Like his mentor, Mike Leach, defense always falls behind the offense. We just have to hope he continues to get better as a head coach, plus he has the major advantage of playing in the worst conference in the country. He’s gonna be here for a few more years, so we need to see him earn this contract we have made for him. And it’ll all start with him finding a QB to trust.

 

Ummm, you don’t command a salary like Seth’s to be learning on the job. Hell no.

  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Seth isn’t learning on the job, but I know that coaches are always having to evolve and adjust as the game around them changes.

not sure how you find the acceptable middle ground there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.