Seth Littrell's Record

TheColonyEagle

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

I hope Seth isn’t learning on the job, but I know that coaches are always having to evolve and adjust as the game around them changes.

not sure how you find the acceptable middle ground there.

Apparently there is no middle ground...you either know it all or you’re a complete idiot. Oh well, I guess we will just have to wait on SL to get fired since he can’t learn ANYTHING from this abortion of a season.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Just search for it.   It is available on-line. 

Sure is, here is the relevant part:

Salary.

UNT shall pay Coach Littrell an amount equal to one hundred percent (100%) of his Annual
Base Salary multiplied by the number of months remaining, if any, for the first thirty-six (36) month
period of this Agreement, plus seventy-five per cent (75%) of his Annual Base Salary multiplied
by the number of months remaining for the last twenty-four (24) month period of this Agreement.
Any paiiial months shall be prorated. Provided, however, that in the event UNT wins 7 or more
Regular Season football games at any point during the Term of this Agreement, UNT shall pay
Coach one hundred percent (100%) of his Annual Base Salary for the last 24-month period of this
Agreement.
In the event Coach Littrell triggers this provision by winning 7 or more Regular
Season football games and increasing the liquidated damages from seventy-five per cent (75%) to
one hundred percent (100%) for the last 24-month period of this Agreement, such increase from
seventy-five per cent (75%) to one hundred percent (100%) shall not impact the calculation of
payments due by Coach Littrell pursuant to Section 5.09. UNT's obligation shall be paid on a
monthly basis, shall be subject to Coach Littrell's duty to mitigate as set forth below, and shall be
subject to deductions for federal, state, and local taxes.

So base agreement was to pay for 100% of the first three years, then 75% of the last two, unless he won 7 regular season games.  He did win 7 regular season games, so that means 100% of his entire salary was now guaranteed for the life of the contract.

16 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Sure is, here is the relevant part:

So base agreement was to pay for 100% of the first three years, then 75% of the last two, unless he won 7 regular season games.  He did win 7 regular season games, so that means 100% of his entire salary was now guaranteed for the life of the contract.

Well I guess I'm wrong....here I thought the bar should be 9+ wins and championships for the money he's getting paid but the bar is literally 7 wins.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Well I guess I'm wrong....here I thought the bar should be 9+ wins and championships for the money he's getting paid but the bar is literally 7 wins.

nice low bar set for good ole UNT. SL is set regardless of how this season or the next 5 seasons go, no real incentive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

24 minutes ago, untbowler said:

nice low bar set for good ole UNT. SL is set regardless of how this season or the next 5 seasons go, no real incentive. 

I don't think Littrell is just fine riding out the rest of his 5 year contract here at NT then retiring.   He's going to have to do better if he wants to move up the ladder.  So his team has to get better.   I'll be upset if he gets another raise/extension like he's been getting each year since he's arrived.   He earned all of those.  This year, he has not, unless there's a serious turnaround and they win out & can win the conference championship (which now, after 2 conference games, we already need help to do).

So, is Littrell "set"?    Absolutely not.  He has a lot more than just 5 years left in his coaching career.
Are the results so far worth what NT is paying him?   NO!
Is the season lost, or should we fire him?  NO!
Does Littrell need to look out for himself and make some changes to his staff so his team can improve & win more games in order for him to climb back up the ladder?    Yep!

Littrell's success = NT's success.   NT's failures (no matter who/how) = Littrell's failures.    I know he understands that... so, what's he gonna do about it?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think Littrell is just fine riding out the rest of his 5 year contract here at NT then retiring.   He's going to have to do better if he wants to move up the ladder.  So his team has to get better.   I'll be upset if he gets another raise/extension like he's been getting each year since he's arrived.   He earned all of those.  This year, he has not, unless there's a serious turnaround and they win out & can win the conference championship (which now, after 2 conference games, we already need help to do).

So, is Littrell "set"?    Absolutely not.  He has a lot more than just 5 years left in his coaching career.
Are the results so far worth what NT is paying him?   NO!
Is the season lost, or should we fire him?  NO!
Does Littrell need to look out for himself and make some changes to his staff so his team can improve & win more games in order for him to climb back up the ladder?    Yep!

Littrell's success = NT's success.   NT's failures (no matter who/how) = Littrell's failures.    I know he understands that... so, what's he gonna do about it?

Good post

I'll add...Littrell didn't set the bar...UNT did

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

Pretty sure this is the first time I have seen a NT head coaches contract that didn't guarantee the entire term from day one.   Usually the only out is being fired "for cause." 

And no... losing a lot is not a justifiable "for cause" reason in the eyes of employment law. 

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Pretty sure this is the first time I have seen a NT head coaches contract that didn't guarantee the entire term from day one.   Usually the only out is being fired "for cause." 

And no... losing a lot is not a justifiable "for cause" reason in the eyes of employment law. 

yeah, the contract is weird, but it is what we as fans wanted, spend more money to get coaches, asst. coaches, better facilities ......

Unfortunately this season right now shows that $$$ does not buy coaching ability. If season continues and team finishes .500 or worse, will be interested in the off-season changes on coaching staff. 

SL seems to be a people pleaser and is highly complimentary of his fellow opposing coaches. not a bad thing but it is typical coach speak to the letter. 

44 minutes ago, untbowler said:

yeah, the contract is weird, but it is what we as fans wanted, spend more money to get coaches, asst. coaches, better facilities ......

Unfortunately this season right now shows that $$$ does not buy coaching ability. If season continues and team finishes .500 8-4 or worse, will be interested in the off-season changes on coaching staff. 

SL seems to be a people pleaser and is highly complimentary of his fellow opposing coaches. not a bad thing but it is typical coach speak to the letter. 

Fixed.    Don't care how many more they win, there is at least 1 change that needs to be made.

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Apparently there is no middle ground...you either know it all or you’re a complete idiot. Oh well, I guess we will just have to wait on SL to get fired since he can’t learn ANYTHING from this abortion of a season.

That's actually what I think the detractors are upset about. SL HASN'T learned or improved. We still get blown out of important games. We still can't field a defense that can stop a pass in peewee football. We are still relying on 2 or 3 players to save our asses. A lot would argue he's gotten worse rather than learn. 

On the flipside, Reeder definitely isn't my favorite guy this year, but he can still prove himself over time and improve. He gets that benefit of the doubt. Seth was halfway out the door, and now he's spinning in circles.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1