“All Of Our District And State Track Guys Were On Defense”

FirefightnRick

That’s a direct quote from my Lt about his two state championship teams he played on under Art Briles at The Ville.

He says everyone thinks of the great flashy high flying offenses and all the great QB’s that came from the Briles era back then, but said it was the defenses that were the key for their success.  Said in practice “those so called GREAT offenses couldn’t move the ball on us because no one could out run us because we had all the wheels on our side”.  Says “Defense isn’t the flashy part of football.  No one celebrates a forced punt like they do a 20 yard touchdown, but if there’s no forced punt by the defense there’s no 20 yard touchdown by the offense”.

Briles was a QB for cooger high and he understood what a faster defense does to an offense.  He took the same approach at Baylor.  

Patterson has always taken this approach at TCU.

Stoops was the same way at OU.

Corky Nelson did this at NT.

Dickey did this at NT.

McCarney did this at NT.

And I suspect until we do the same again our struggles will continue.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s a direct quote from my Lt about his two state championship teams he played on under Art Briles at The Ville.

He says everyone thinks of the great flashy high flying offenses and all the great QB’s that came from the Briles era back then, but said it was the defenses that were the key for their success.  Said in practice “those so called GREAT offenses couldn’t move the ball on us because no one could out run us because we had all the wheels on our side”.  Says “Defense isn’t the flashy part of football.  No one celebrates a forced punt like they do a 20 yard touchdown, but if there’s no forced punt by the defense there’s no 20 yard touchdown by the offense”.

Briles was a QB for cooger high and he understood what a faster defense does to an offense.  He took the same approach at Baylor.  

Patterson has always taken this approach at TCU.

Stoops was the same way at OU.

Corky Nelson did this at NT.

Dickey did this at NT.

McCarney did this at NT.

And I suspect until we do the same again our struggles will continue.

Rick

Only change I would make is.....

Skladany did this at NT. 

Someone find this man and give him a blank check to come fix this defense. Guy was a damn genius.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Only chance I would make is.....

Skladany did this at NT. 

Someone find this man and give him a blank check to come fix this defense. Guy was a damn genius.

Yup,....and do you remember Skladany’s Honorable Mention All Conference DB who finished 4th in tackles that season?  I’ll give you a hint.  His first name starts with Kenny and his second name starts with Buyers.

Finished that year with 78 tackles. 3 interceptions, 2 sacks and in my opinion was the best open-field tackler we’ve had in 15 years.  

Had 55 tackles in 2014 befor getting hurt and missed the 2015 season.

BUT WHAT DID THIS STAFF DO WITH HIM IN 2016?

Made him a wide reciever, trading a defensive veteran averaging 66 tackles a year for a meager 32 catches and a little over 300 yards.  

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yup,....and do you remember Skladany’s Honorable Mention All Conference DB who finished 4th in tackles that season?  I’ll give you a hint.  His first name starts with Kenny and his second name starts with Buyers.

Finished that year with 78 tackles. 3 interceptions, 2 sacks and in my opinion was the best open-field tackler we’ve had in 15 years.  

Had 55 tackles in 2014 befor getting hurt and missed the 2015 season.

BUT WHAT DID THIS STAFF DO WITH HIM IN 2016?

Made him a wide reciever, trading a defensive veteran averaging 66 tackles a year for a meager 32 catches and a little over 300 yards.  

Rick

To be fair, the receiving corps was in REALLY rough shape that first year.  I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the move, but I can understand the desperation SL and staff felt to get some athletic receivers in.