❇️ IMHO...We must branch out & improve our East Texas & Louisiana recruiting

PlummMeanGreen

...even if we have to proselyte then sign 2 or 3 assistant coaches who are top recruiters from schools like UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette & maybe one other school from the Pelican State.

Anyone else amazed how ULM (with absolutely no athletic budget) can sneak up on the Big Boys from time to time?  

GMG!

I know many are down on SL now (as I’ve been to some extent) but, I think with facilities in hand he will re-group, maybe tweak his coaching staff with an additional all star recruiting deluxe & come out blazing with both guns in this & future recruiting seasons. All is in place now for that to happen.

➡️ Lest all have forgotten, it’s the Baker-Littrell team who have inspired UNT’s fat cat$ to unload monies like no other time in Mean Green football history so for heaven’s sake............let’s not burn the barn down to kill (who a few) are perceiving to be a rat.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 5

I know it's easier said than done, but D and O lines need to be strengthened or we will end up in these same situations. Don't know if Grad Transfers and the Transfer Portal are the issues but we need to do something different.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Our recruiting is fine. We’re about to sign two straight classes that are elite by CUSA standards. 

The problem is that those players are true freshmen and high school seniors right now.

I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but this is an issue from poor recruiting in the first few classes of the Littrell era. Also, I’m not super confident that o-line recruiting has improved. It has a little, but still has me nervous considering the time it takes to develop those guys. 

Your word has mostly been good as gold in the past, BillySee58.  Keep all that gold a’comin’ to the Mean Green Village! 👍👍

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Our recruiting is fine. We’re about to sign two straight classes that are elite by CUSA standards. 

The problem is that those players are true freshmen and high school seniors right now.

I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but this is an issue from poor recruiting in the first few classes of the Littrell era. Also, I’m not super confident that o-line recruiting has improved. It has a little, but still has me nervous considering the time it takes to develop those guys. 

Billy is spot on. Seth did great first class. Hambone Bussey fine we're all conference talent. But the next classes struggled. Now you see the main contributers are seniors or freshman.  Next year may be rough. But after that we should be good. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I absolutely hate discussions about player and class rankings. This means nothing to me. personally. We seem to get higher marks because kids these day commit to UNT sooner than some other programs. Can they play? This roster is seriously talent deficient. I'd rather be more selective and wait for kids with more talent to fall in our lap than taking kids very early.  Being told that a particular class is full of 3 stars doesn't get me excited. Let's see how they actually perform. (where was Mason Fine with the star system?) 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Cooley said:

I absolutely hate discussions about player and class rankings. This means nothing to me. personally. We seem to get higher marks because kids these day commit to UNT sooner than some other programs.

That’s not true at all. Players generally get rated higher because they have more offers. And we are getting higher rated players because we are beating out a lot of quality programs for these kids (2019 and 2020 classes).

Being told that a particular class is full of 3 stars doesn't get me excited. Let's see how they actually perform. (where was Mason Fine with the star system?) 

Harry, some others, and I have been pointing out that if you’re just looking at star ratings as black and white, you’re doing it wrong. Just saying 2-Star or 3-Star doesn’t give any detail. 3-Star has become so easy to attain under the composite system because ESPN gives them out to basically anyone committed. There is such a wide range of prospects that all fit within the three star range (80-89). An 80 will likely have one or two FBS offers while an 88 will usually have 10+ P5 offers. Both are technically 3-stars.

You have to delineate between an 80-82 type player and an 82+ type recruit, for example. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Billy is spot on. Seth did great first class. Hambone Bussey fine we're all conference talent. But the next classes struggled. Now you see the main contributers are seniors or freshman.  Next year may be rough. But after that we should be good. 

While the first class had good players, we got so many jucos that it’s hurting us now, because of the 25 player per class limit. If we had focused on more high school signees we may have not been as good in year one or year two, but we’d have deeper, more experienced senior and junior classes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

While the first class had good players, we got so many jucos that it’s hurting us now, because of the 25 player per class limit. If we had focused on more high school signees we may have not been as good in year one or year two, but we’d have deeper, more experienced senior and junior classes.

Remember he was not unable to get a full 25 his first 2 classes. That really hurts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Seems we’ve mostly been disappointed with JUCO’s especially those who could not qualify (as in the one who failed to qualify in August)?

Didn’t we have a stud HS defensive lineman from Oklahoma who stayed home due to personal issues?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Seems we’ve mostly been disappointed with JUCO’s especially those who could not qualify.  

Didn’t we have a stud HS defensive lineman from Oklahoma who stayed home due to personal issues?

GMG!

I think that’s more in the past Plumm. Ejiya , Hall, and Torrey are all JUCO’s Seth brought in. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

2016 19 HS commits 2017 18 HS commits

I’m not sure what you’re going off of with those numbers. You don’t get 25 HS signees per class. You get 25 total initial counters. Which includes D1 scholarship transfers, JUCOs, and walking places on scholarship before playing 2 full seasons as a walkon.

In 2016, in addition to HS commits, we also signed Bryce English, Alec Morris, Dee Baulkman, EJ Ejiya, Darius Turner, Josh Wheeler, and TJ Henson in that class. And in 2017 we had some more jucos, plus some blue shirts who we signed late in 2016 that counted towards the 2017 class like Eric Jenkins.

• Upvote 5