#HIT6 ??

El Paso Eagle

HIT6 ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Will this year's team win 6 games

• YES WE WILL WIN 6 OR MORE
    • NOT THIS YEAR

20 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Even if we do get to 6 wins it’s a massive, massive disappointment.

This feels very similar to Benfords first year when we had all those returning starters and it was being advertised as our most talented team ever. Only to then go like 12-20. 

I think SL is overpaid, but to compare it to Benford is incorrect and unfair to SL.

SL clearly improved the program. He is competent and has shown it,  just maybe not to the point where he competes for the division every year. The problem is he is paid like he is competing for the division every year winning it every other year, like 8-4 is the minimum baseline and he goes up from there. He fails by that standard, but its a high standard due to Baker somehow being willing to overpay him.

Benford was simply incompetent and should have been fired by year 2, when everyone with eyes saw this would only crater more. It was not a question of standards being high due to money. Even if he'd a made just 50k he'd a been needed to be fired way earlier than he was.

That said, i get the disappointment. It does feel like squandering the momentum once again, but I trust that there will not be the same kind of cratering that the basketball team did in Benfords last years.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

I think SL is overpaid, but to compare it to Benford is incorrect and unfair to SL.

SL clearly improved the program. He is competent and has shown it,  just maybe not to the point where he competes for the division every year. The problem is he is paid like he is competing for the division every year winning it every other year, like 8-4 is the minimum baseline and he goes up from there. He fails by that standard, but its a high standard due to Baker somehow being willing to overpay him.

Benford was simply incompetent and should have been fired by year 2, when everyone with eyes saw this would only crater more. It was not a question of standards being high due to money. Even if he'd a made just 50k he'd a been needed to be fired way earlier than he was.

That said, i get the disappointment. It does feel like squandering the momentum once again, but I trust that there will not be the same kind of cratering that the basketball team did in Benfords last years.

See my prior post on page 2. Comparing two specific seasons, the hype for each, and the results. Not the entire eras of the head coaches. 

23 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Shouldn't the Topic Title change to #hit4 ? 

I am not seeing a path to 6 wins and really only one true solid chance for a Win and that is against UTEP. 

Yup. This is a situation where putting all of your hopes in 3 or 4 players to carry an entire team has gone to shit. No depth and no fundamentals.

• Upvote 1

I think we are paying for stability at the top.  After DD, Dodge and McCarney, we needed that and we needed someone with the confidence to build this program.  I posted in another thread that I believe that is starting to take shape with this current recruiting class and the one from last year.  There was a lot to overcome from a perception standpoint and we are just now starting to see this pay off.  A little patience is needed.  Next year could be tough, but the year after and moving forward, should recruiting continue its upward climb, could see us have success like never before.

The two changes I would like to see are a replacement at the OL Coach and Aune given a shot with Bean moving to the slot where his speed and elusiveness could be a factor.  I think Aune's maturity could have a calming influence on a young team and he comes from a great program at Argyle where he put up great numbers.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think we are paying for stability at the top.  After DD, Dodge and McCarney, we needed that and we needed someone with the confidence to build this program.  I posted in another thread that I believe that is starting to take shape with this current recruiting class and the one from last year.  There was a lot to overcome from a perception standpoint and we are just now starting to see this pay off.  A little patience is needed.  Next year could be tough, but the year after and moving forward, should recruiting continue its upward climb, could see us have success like never before.

The two changes I would like to see are a replacement at the OL Coach and Aune given a shot with Bean moving to the slot where his speed and elusiveness could be a factor.  I think Aune's maturity could have a calming influence on a young team and he comes from a great program at Argyle where he put up great numbers.

Patience? Going into year 6 (given your next year could be tough comment), we might be OK...In year 6? Maybe. But who knows. 

I will tell you this...Next years class or this years class whether you want to scoff at my comment or not, has not addressed quality coming in at the OL and very minimal DL. As a matter of fact, of all of the 2019 signees and 2020 commits along the DL/OL, there are 10 other FBS offers combined, not including us. 5 of those were offered to Kade Bond. The other 5 offers on our other 10 DL/OL either signed or committed have 5 total FBS offers. These offers are the likes of NMSU, Air Force, Eastern Michigan, etc. And only Kade Bond falls into the category of having 3 or more FBS offers. Most have 1 or none. So, riddle me this, when and how do you expect to see this upward trajectory take action? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, strikes said:

OOF. Not looking hot this season. Really sad it's Mason's last year. Need to win out to salvage the season. I just don't see how it can be turned around at this point. 

We need to win out and USM to drop a couple.  That's about the only thing that would make me feel like this was a successful season.