***Official UNT vs. Southern Miss Gameday Thread***

Coach Andy Mac

Just now, Green Lantern said:

Yet we had people on here claiming that our OL “isn’t that bad”. But here we are with Fine hurt after another game of getting killed on the regular.

The only "people" I've heard say that is SL every game. I think he has a double pair of green shades on

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

Cute, but hardly appropriate.  

I assume you think Fine is 100% and USM is not the more talented team.

That is reality, not excuses.  

The excuse (because that's what it is) that you are using is, 'USM just had more talent' is still an accountable action, true or not. UNT has beaten this team 3 years in a row. Both teams were recruiting in their recruiting cycles all the while UNT was have more successful seasons than USM. So, how/why are they a more talented team? Should we just shrug at the shoulders and 'welp' all the way home? nah. 

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The excuse (because that's what it is) that you are using is, 'USM just had more talent' is still an accountable action, true or not. UNT has beaten this team 3 years in a row. Both teams were recruiting in their recruiting cycles all the while UNT was have more successful seasons than USM. So, how/why are they a more talented team? Should we just shrug at the shoulders and 'welp' all the way home? nah. 

Did you watch the game?

14 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Yet we had people on here claiming that our OL “isn’t that bad”. But here we are with Fine hurt after another game of getting killed on the regular.

Remember it wasn’t just fans being positive about the O line, we have 2-3 preseason all Conf picks on that line.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Cute, but hardly appropriate.  

I assume you think Fine is 100% and USM is not the more talented team.

That is reality, not excuses.  

But this wasn’t an SEC team. 

they’re a fellow CUSA team 

they’re more talented because they’ve been out recruiting Littrell. 

for what Littrell makes.....that shouldn’t happen 

• Upvote 6

Seth should have fired Chuck Langston and Troy Reffert after the 2017 season. O-Line has been underperforming drastically this season, and has been downright bad since he got here.

Dont get me started on Reffert. This scheme has.not.worked. We do not have the ability to rush 3 guys, and play man to man on the backend. We rarely ever get a consistent rush and never produce turnovers.

This season has been a total letdown. I’m pissed

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wag Tag said:

Remember it wasn’t just fans being positive about the O line, we have 2-3 preseason all Conf picks on that line.

Sure. I get your point, but I’d counter with: Are those fans actually watching the games? Fine continues to run for his life, pull plays out of his ass, bailing everyone out in process, followed by taking a huge shot. Rinse, recycle, repeat. The difference this year, is you can see the frustration on his face after a few of those massive hits as he literally scrapes himself up off the turf. The cumulative effect has clearly taken a toll.

Preseason polls and player awards are honestly fairly useless. I mean look at where we were picked in CUSA by the coaches and media.

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

yes. 

But, I edit to ask wth does that matter? What does the porous excuse of recruiting (AKA an excuse) have anything to do with me watching the game?

Because if you watched the game, you might have recognized that USM had the more talented team. 

Name one position group that you think NT had more talent than USM.  QB, no RB, no at least after Siggers was out, OL, no, wr, no dl ,no, lb and db are debatable (never were stellar)

USM has gotten better this year, NT has gotten worse

As far as recruiting, there is no way to know other than USM just clobbered NT 

• Upvote 1

Sure. I get your point, but I’d counter with: Are those fans actually watching the games? Fine continues to run for his life, pull plays out of his ass, bailing everyone out in process, followed by taking a huge shot. Rinse, recycle, repeat. The difference this year, is you can see the frustration on his face after a few of those massive hits as he literally scrapes himself up off the turf. The cumulative effect has clearly taken a toll.

Preseason polls and player awards are honestly fairly useless. I mean look at where we were picked in CUSA by the coaches and media.

Pretty much sums up the failures of this overpaid coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

Yep right there

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But this wasn’t an SEC team. 

they’re a fellow CUSA team 

they’re more talented because they’ve been out recruiting Littrell. 

for what Littrell makes.....that shouldn’t happen 

Do you see me defending Littrell?  I just stated he not going to be terminated, which he isn't.

Edited by GrandGreen

I really thought at the beginning of the season this would be Seth’s best O line and D line! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Seth should have fired Chuck Langston and Troy Reffert after the 2017 season. O-Line has been underperforming drastically this season, and has been downright bad since he got here.

Dont get me started on Reffert. This scheme has.not.worked. We do not have the ability to rush 3 guys, and play man to man on the backend. We rarely ever get a consistent rush and never produce turnovers.

This season has been a total letdown. I’m pissed

You are right about Reffett. He seemed somewhat successful last year because he had the luck of having two good corners, one good backer and and another decent backer, as well as Rod Young. They were covering up the defensive flaws. Now you have players who cannot cover that up, this defense is failing. These kids deserve better. They deserve a coach who is going to play to their strengths and not force them to do what they cannot because he likes it. Langston's lines have been underperforming for a long time. Just was lucky enough to have great receivers and a great QB to cover them. 

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Because if you watched the game, you might have recognized that USM had the more talented team. 

Name one position group that you think NT had more talent than USM.  QB, no RB, no at least after Siggers was out, OL, no, wr, no dl ,no, lb and db are debatable (never were stellar)

USM has gotten better this year, NT has gotten worse

As far as recruiting, there is no way to know other than USM just clobbered NT 

What is your point? 

Those are all excuses. Both coaches have been at both places for I believe the same amount of time. Why was there such a swing in talent year over year between them and us? For that matter, SMU as well. 

Just a bunch of meh. 

• Eye Roll 1

You want heartbreaking?... You should have seen Mason's mother and father in the stands this game.  Mason's father is always pretty reserved, Mason's mom appears totally fed up.

Mason came back on the field from the locker room with maybe 5 mins to go with no pads on, motioned for him mother to lean over the railing, whispered something into her ear and then he walked off.  I can't imagine that was good news, since I've never seen an interaction like that from him.  Both parents and what I assume was Mason's grandfather pretty much were speechless and emotionless the rest of the game.

He should have transferred after last season. Only the Homer apologists on here wouldnt have understood.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

You want heartbreaking?... You should have seen Mason's mother and father in the stands this game.  Mason's father is always pretty reserved, Mason's mom appears totally fed up.

Mason came back on the field from the locker room with maybe 5 mins to go with no pads on, motioned for him mother to lean over the railing, whispered something into her ear and then he walked off.  I can't imagine that was good news, since I've never seen an interaction like that from him.  Both parents and what I assume was Mason's grandfather pretty much were speechless and emotionless the rest of the game.

He should have transferred after last season. Only the Homer apologists on here wouldnt have understood.

I am not a homer or an apologist. But that is a cheese dick move to transfer out in the hope of more success elsewhere. You roll with it when you are QB1, good and the bad, you roll. He's a UNT Hall of Fame lock and will will talked about by these current 18-19-20-21 year old students when they're 80. You sort of taint that if you take your ball and go home. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1