Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Philip Ferguson

Happy Anniversary!

Recommended Posts

That whole thing still amazes me. Only at UNT could you have a great new stadium and have the AD schedule exactly one OOC home game for the season and it was against a FCS school from the Pacific Northwest that brought about 12 people. We then schedule said team for Homecoming, so as to get the alumni really excited to come back to UNT for the weekend. Then we roll out the worst spares a FBS squad can have for QBs and allow the FCS team to score 66 straight points as the ENTIRE team quits in front of the largest crowd of the season. And to add even more salt to the mortal wound that was the worst loss in modern college football history, that FCS juggernaut then lost in the first round of their playoffs to another FCS school. 

It defies all odds to think of a more ridiculous day than that one back in 2015.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

That whole thing still amazes me. Only at UNT could you have a great new stadium and have the AD schedule exactly one OOC home game for the season and it was against a FCS school from the Pacific Northwest that brought about 12 people. We then schedule said team for Homecoming, so as to get the alumni really excited to come back to UNT for the weekend. Then we roll out the worst spares a FBS squad can have for QBs and allow the FCS team to score 66 straight points as the ENTIRE team quits in front of the largest crowd of the season. And to add even more salt to the mortal wound that was the worst loss in modern college football history, that FCS juggernaut then lost in the first round of their playoffs to another FCS school. 

It defies all odds to think of a more ridiculous day than that one back in 2015.

american gangster GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That whole thing still amazes me. Only at UNT could you have a great new stadium and have the AD schedule exactly one OOC home game for the season and it was against a FCS school from the Pacific Northwest that brought about 12 people. We then schedule said team for Homecoming, so as to get the alumni really excited to come back to UNT for the weekend. Then we roll out the worst spares a FBS squad can have for QBs and allow the FCS team to score 66 straight points as the ENTIRE team quits in front of the largest crowd of the season. And to add even more salt to the mortal wound that was the worst loss in modern college football history, that FCS juggernaut then lost in the first round of their playoffs to another FCS school. 

It defies all odds to think of a more ridiculous day than that one back in 2015.

I wonder if the Armadillos could have beaten PS??

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

 

Rick

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

 

Rick

It really is amazing the funk that settled into that team. DMac’s health had to have had some part of it, but I think the team knew Chico and Mac had an antiquated offense with absolute no talent at QB, and once it all started rolling downhill, the guys on that team just decided to quit. Never seen anything quite like it...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why? Why do you guys bring up that PS game? I had almost forgotten about Danny Mac and that game.  But noooooooooooooooo!  We have to relive the misery that was Danny MAC, and the RV crap!  15 years!!!!  15 years just pissed away!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most Mean Green fans can drop themselves into where they were the day the team quit and the day the program led to today.

I was in a Starbucks in Brisbane bummed and then laughing and eventually smiling knowing our program was about to make a big overdue change. I must have looked crazy with my headphones on rolling eyes, look of disbelief, taking to myself, shock and awe face...

Every College football fan have that moment:

unt - psu 

texas - ucla

michigan - appy state

tennessee - Georgia state

smu - Houston 

Houston - army

utsa - UNT 

GMG

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  

Rick

I saw it too.  I couldn't believe it.  Walked out of the game for that reason.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They knew Mac was gone. Weren’t supposed to find out until after the game, but it leaked. 

GMG!

  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NTEdgex2 said:

They knew Mac was gone. Weren’t supposed to find out until after the game, but it leaked. 

GMG!

Shouldn't that have fired them up a bit?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

 

Rick

There was one player that didn’t quit that day.  It was Jeff Wilson, Jr.  He was still running hard throughout the game and trying to fire people up on the sidelines, but literally no one, players or coaches, showed any fire that day and just stood there, blank, as Jeff tried to fire people up.  Perhaps no surprise since I’m pretty sure he’s the only player that played in that game that is still playing football.

  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Big E said:

There was one player that didn’t quit that day.  It was Jeff Wilson, Jr.  He was still running hard throughout the game and trying to fire people up on the sidelines, but literally no one, players or coaches, showed any fire that day and just stood there, blank, as Jeff tried to fire people up.  Perhaps no surprise since I’m pretty sure he’s the only player that played in that game that is still playing football.

I unfortunately sat through that entire travesty, and to the consternation of most on here... Carlos Harris.  Dude was chewing out several teammates and still going 100%.  Of course, his effort mostly seemed selfish, but at least he was trying.

  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would be interesting to get a former player(Andy Flusche, Brandon Garner, Fred Scott, etc)  on the podcast to talk about what happened that day & if they knew anything beforehand. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Marty said:

would be interesting to get a former player(Andy Flusche, Brandon Garner, Fred Scott, etc)  on the podcast to talk about what happened that day & if they knew anything beforehand. 

I highly doubt they’d spill a lot of details.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I highly doubt they’d spill a lot of details.

Maybe it has been long enough? I have always assumed that Mac had already lost the team and if the players knew he would get canned a bunch of them tanked to ensure it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

 

Rick

Yeah, after firing Todd Dodge the administration must have thought (this is me being generous to NT administrators)  they had to hire someone who was a high profile coach to keep up the interest of the alumni and fan base. Heaven forbid that anyone do any sort of research about some of the best "up and coming" coaches and give them a chance. For instance, Chris Tomsen at Abilene Christian was available. During his tenure as HC there, 4 ACU players were drafted by the NFL.

Edited by SilverEagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.