Happy Anniversary!

Philip Ferguson

That whole thing still amazes me. Only at UNT could you have a great new stadium and have the AD schedule exactly one OOC home game for the season and it was against a FCS school from the Pacific Northwest that brought about 12 people. We then schedule said team for Homecoming, so as to get the alumni really excited to come back to UNT for the weekend. Then we roll out the worst spares a FBS squad can have for QBs and allow the FCS team to score 66 straight points as the ENTIRE team quits in front of the largest crowd of the season. And to add even more salt to the mortal wound that was the worst loss in modern college football history, that FCS juggernaut then lost in the first round of their playoffs to another FCS school. 

It defies all odds to think of a more ridiculous day than that one back in 2015.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

That whole thing still amazes me. Only at UNT could you have a great new stadium and have the AD schedule exactly one OOC home game for the season and it was against a FCS school from the Pacific Northwest that brought about 12 people. We then schedule said team for Homecoming, so as to get the alumni really excited to come back to UNT for the weekend. Then we roll out the worst spares a FBS squad can have for QBs and allow the FCS team to score 66 straight points as the ENTIRE team quits in front of the largest crowd of the season. And to add even more salt to the mortal wound that was the worst loss in modern college football history, that FCS juggernaut then lost in the first round of their playoffs to another FCS school. 

It defies all odds to think of a more ridiculous day than that one back in 2015.

american gangster GIF

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I wonder if the Armadillos could have beaten PS??

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

Rick

It really is amazing the funk that settled into that team. DMac’s health had to have had some part of it, but I think the team knew Chico and Mac had an antiquated offense with absolute no talent at QB, and once it all started rolling downhill, the guys on that team just decided to quit. Never seen anything quite like it...

• Upvote 1

I think most Mean Green fans can drop themselves into where they were the day the team quit and the day the program led to today.

I was in a Starbucks in Brisbane bummed and then laughing and eventually smiling knowing our program was about to make a big overdue change. I must have looked crazy with my headphones on rolling eyes, look of disbelief, taking to myself, shock and awe face...

Every College football fan have that moment:

unt - psu 

texas - ucla

michigan - appy state

tennessee - Georgia state

smu - Houston 

Houston - army

utsa - UNT 

GMG

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’ve still never heard exactly what made that team quit, and they quit that night.

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  

Rick

I saw it too.  I couldn't believe it.  Walked out of the game for that reason.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I saw players just stand up and Ole’ play letting the guy with the ball run right by.  This wasn’t my imagination either because I heard parents of players yelling at coaches to bench people for it.

Rick

There was one player that didn’t quit that day.  It was Jeff Wilson, Jr.  He was still running hard throughout the game and trying to fire people up on the sidelines, but literally no one, players or coaches, showed any fire that day and just stood there, blank, as Jeff tried to fire people up.  Perhaps no surprise since I’m pretty sure he’s the only player that played in that game that is still playing football.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, Big E said:

There was one player that didn’t quit that day.  It was Jeff Wilson, Jr.  He was still running hard throughout the game and trying to fire people up on the sidelines, but literally no one, players or coaches, showed any fire that day and just stood there, blank, as Jeff tried to fire people up.  Perhaps no surprise since I’m pretty sure he’s the only player that played in that game that is still playing football.

I unfortunately sat through that entire travesty, and to the consternation of most on here... Carlos Harris.  Dude was chewing out several teammates and still going 100%.  Of course, his effort mostly seemed selfish, but at least he was trying.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I highly doubt they’d spill a lot of details.

Maybe it has been long enough? I have always assumed that Mac had already lost the team and if the players knew he would get canned a bunch of them tanked to ensure it.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:53 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Yeah, after firing Todd Dodge the administration must have thought (this is me being generous to NT administrators)  they had to hire someone who was a high profile coach to keep up the interest of the alumni and fan base. Heaven forbid that anyone do any sort of research about some of the best "up and coming" coaches and give them a chance. For instance, Chris Tomsen at Abilene Christian was available. During his tenure as HC there, 4 ACU players were drafted by the NFL.

Edited by SilverEagle