Coleman back, Jeff Wilson inactive

Cr1028

I'm hoping it's a running back by committee situation on a game by game basis because he's played well enough to warrant carries but even guys like Mostert got carries last night, and it always seemed to be between Jeff and Mostert for that last running back spot.  

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm hoping it's a running back by committee situation on a game by game basis because he's played well enough to warrant carries but even guys like Mostert got carries last night, and it always seemed to be between Jeff and Mostert for that last running back spot.  

They like Mostert for his abilities on special teams, which I think is the main reason they pick him over Wilson. 

Still, if he's inactive, can't he be picked up off of waivers?

20 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

They like Mostert for his abilities on special teams, which I think is the main reason they pick him over Wilson. 

Still, if he's inactive, can't he be picked up off of waivers?

Yeah, or if he's demoted back to the practice squad which would be likely if he doesn't play much anymore. Shame. They have one of the top running back squads in the league and he has contributed to that. I thought he was in a good position but they are starting to get crowded back there with Coleman coming back, and both Coleman and Breida looked really good last night. 

Jeff is the 5th RB on that roster when everyone's healthy. They've got McKinnon (IR w knee), Breida, Coleman, Mostert all ahead of him on the roster.

He's on the 53-man "active roster", but he was a game-day "inactive" designation. The actual game day active roster is only 46. So he can't be picked up unless he's waived, and I don't think SF will do that, given the health issues at the position, their usage, and his performance in his limited game time.

Even though it's kind of a rough spot to be in on a team with such depth, I think for his career he's in a good position. He's had a chance to splash, but he'll be a low-mileage RB in his prime when he hits FA. If the 49ers are forced to waive him due to injuries at other positions, he'll likely be picked up. He has such a unique running style, and his ability to squeeze through tiny lanes is what made him a valuable goal-line back despite his size.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Jeff is the 5th RB on that roster when everyone's healthy. They've got McKinnon (IR w knee), Breida, Coleman, Mostert all ahead of him on the roster.

He's on the 53-man "active roster", but he was a game-day "inactive" designation. The actual game day active roster is only 46. So he can't be picked up unless he's waived, and I don't think SF will do that, given the health issues at the position, their usage, and his performance in his limited game time.

Even though it's kind of a rough spot to be in on a team with such depth, I think for his career he's in a good position. He's had a chance to splash, but he'll be a low-mileage RB in his prime when he hits FA. If the 49ers are forced to waive him due to injuries at other positions, he'll likely be picked up. He has such a unique running style, and his ability to squeeze through tiny lanes is what made him a valuable goal-line back despite his size.

Agreed. He also runs aggressively and has trucked a few people for extra yardage. Think he'll be a valuable pick up for someone if it does happen.