WIll SMU win out?

NT91

32 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Honestly, I think we end up 10-2 -  the second half of the season looks more daunting than the first.  Love to win the conference, though.

But for next year? 

Sorry to be argumentative, but we have as many as 18 starters back.   Call me whatever you want, but at this point, I expect us to be ranked in the preseason.  The school has actually shown some initiative and started selling 2020 season passes.   

Yes, posters overlook the fact, that SMU was very smart with their transfers; almost if not all had two years of eligibility remaining. 

Also most were starters on their previous teams, unlike NT whose graduate transfer list is not only much smaller but made of players that didn't play as much. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

Honestly, I think we end up 10-2 -  the second half of the season looks more daunting than the first.  Love to win the conference, though.

But for next year? 

Sorry to be argumentative, but we have as many as 18 starters back.   Call me whatever you want, but at this point, I expect us to be ranked in the preseason.  The school has actually shown some initiative and started selling 2020 season passes.   

A top 25 rank team at Apogee next season who is our rival? Maybe finally a sell out...

29 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, posters overlook the fact, that SMU was very smart with their transfers; almost if not all had two years of eligibility remaining. 

Also most were starters on their previous teams, unlike NT whose graduate transfer list is not only much smaller but made of players that didn't play as much. 

If this is the case, then can we anticipate a huge drop off after 2020? Let’s see what the SMU coach can do re:long-term recruiting/building.

13 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

SMU basketball under Larry Brown is a good comparison point.  

SMU and Larry had to sell roughly 6k tickets a game to get people to come to recently renovated state-of-the art basketball coliseum to watch a Hall-of-Fame coach with a top 25 and even top 10 team play nationally recognizable programs such as Louisville, UConn, Memphis, Cincinatti, Southern Cal, and others.  Even SMU could market that.  

SMU football, on the other hand, has to sell 32k tickets a game to get people to come to a 'high school stadium' to watch a retread coach with retread players play schools nobody in Dallas knows, like East Carolina.  Totally different monster.  I genuinely hope the 'Dallas' thing works out.   

And, of course, that HOF coach with a "clean past" (hahahahahaha) got busted for cheating.  It's the smuT way.

• Eye Roll 2

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And, of course, that HOF coach with a "clean past" (hahahahahaha) got busted for cheating.  It's the smuT way.

Can't argue with that one bit.  

Of course, you did take the player who was 'busted for cheating,' you know that right?

https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=71

(I think whomever listed the high school as 'SMU' got a kick out of it, don't you?)

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If this is the case, then can we anticipate a huge drop off after 2020? Let’s see what the SMU coach can do re:long-term recruiting/building.

Certainly a large roster change after 2020.  

But what I'm mostly concerned about is the whole idea 'You live with the sword, you die by the sword.'

UNT, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, Cincinnati, maybe even Temple are positioned to do exactly what SMU did this year and bring in a truckload of transfers. 

I don't think it would work the same way at Kansas, KSU, Kentucky, and other places that don't have a lot of home grown talent.  But a truckload of talent leaves North Texas every year only to be passed over on the depth chart in college and never to be heard from again.  UNT and others would do very well if they were able to tap into those players, and it is going to start to change, faster and faster, along those lines. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

Can't argue with that one bit.  

Of course, you did take the player who was 'busted for cheating,' you know that right?

https://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=71

(I think whomever listed the high school as 'SMU' got a kick out of it, don't you?)

Yep, all of four games and he left.  The difference is we didn't cheat to get him to sign.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

3 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

NT, Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, Cincinnati, maybe even Temple are positioned to do exactly what SMU did this year and bring in a truckload of transfers. 

You can take UNT off that list... I wish it wasn't that way, but it's clear that's not what this Coaching Dept is interested in doing.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

You can take UNT off that list... I wish it wasn't that way, but it's clear that's not what this Coaching Dept is interested in doing.

31 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Which is absurd, if true. 

Yeah It's like being stuck between a rock and hard place.

Go Juco/Transfer heavy and win now with probable dropoff in 2-3 years

OR

Only get high school players that don't do much for 2-3 years and hoping to capitalize on their Junior/Senior seasons

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah It's like being stuck between a rock and hard place.

Go Juco/Transfer heavy and win now with probable dropoff in 2-3 years

OR

Only get high school players that don't do much for 2-3 years and hoping to capitalize on their Junior/Senior seasons

Or..... you mix and match and NEVER turn down a really good player if you can get them through the portal

On 10/7/2019 at 8:48 AM, SMUleopold said:

But for next year? 

I can dream too.......

On 10/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, Cerebus said:

Stop searching the dark web for designer drugs and it won't keep popping up. 

Aren't you in Eastern Europe anyway? That's where the dark web lives, just go outside and ask for some.

Too much heat on me in Europe. Europol, extradition treaties, and all that. Hiding out in Central Asia the next few years. Don’t tell anyone!