WIll SMU win out?

NT91

1 minute ago, BigT3x said:

Lol you guys have never, not once, sold out your stadium that seats less than SMU’s stadium and you’re talking attendance smack? Hilarious.

SMU is ranked 24 and can’t even sell out their stadium. We were 2-2 going into Houston and drew 30k. SMU is a good team, but their fans are non-existent. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, BigT3x said:

Lol you guys have never, not once, sold out your stadium that seats less than SMU’s stadium and you’re talking attendance smack? Hilarious.

Has SMU ever sold out their stadium not playing a Texas Big 12 opponent?  Real question that I'm absolutely not going to take the time to look up.

29 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Attendance smack? Come on, y'all. The sad reality is that, strictly from a student population and alumni base, UNT should blow SMU out of the water in attendance. The truth is. We DON"T.

Been to a lot of SMU games?

On a butts in seats, not announced basis, NT does easily top SMU in home game attendance. 

That is the only reason SMU lowered themselves to play NT, they need a team there that will bring their own fans. 

SMU does have a very good team this year, and like any NT opponent when not playing NT, I hope they finish strong. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

You don’t think our announced numbers are butts in seats, do you?

All i know is if we were 5-0 with a win over Top 25 TCU (at the time) and ranked, I have no doubt we'd sell out Apogee 

• Thanks 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

There was nowhere near 30K @ Houston game. Hundreds of empty club seats, wing zone maybe 3/4 at best, lots of empty seats on both ends of student zone, and most Dentoites were home watching jeopardy or taking a nap.

Nah. This is wrong. There was probably a legit 28K at the UNT v. UH game. The student side, when butts were in seats was just about at capacity save for UH's upper level. The wing was about 7/8's full. There's a pic of the wing at its fullest from the scrappy statue that's floating around this very board. There were pockets of empty seats on the home side, but just pockets. And, of course, not every single ticket buying fan is sitting in their seat all at the same time has to be accounted for. 

As for SMU, it's common knowledge that they grossly inflate their attendance figures. 

As for the topic thread question...No, they will not win out. They have 4 losable games on their schedule, so I would expect a split at best or maybe even 1-3. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

You don’t think our announced numbers are butts in seats, do you?

No, announced numbers at most college football games are fantasy.

It is just a matter, of how much they are inflated and there is no way to tell unless you see the game. 

I have seen enough SMU home games, to know that one of the most liberal counters around.  I have been to several with announced attendance over 20k and it was closer to 10K.   Unless, you buy they have thousands that never sit down and crammed into the suites and clubs. 

11 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Has SMU ever sold out their stadium not playing a Texas Big 12 opponent?  Real question that I'm absolutely not going to take the time to look up.

No.  The attendance thing is always going to be a problem for us, to be honest with you. 

- Small-ish school whose alumni tend to scatter upon graduation
- Little or no winning for two generations, so nobody looks back fondly on football games

-No 'T-shirt' fans

- A conference affiliation that provides no real ticket sales to opponents, or even provides much name recognition to the average fan. 

SMU has a little under 6500 undergrad, and around 30,000 alumni in Dallas, around 45,000 in DFW.   So if every undergraduate and living alumni in Dallas attended a game we would just barely sell it out.   

This is the point of the whole 'Dallas' marketing idea.  Yes, it's cheesy and distracting, but the school and Sonny both realize if SMU never gets the city behind us, then we are always going to be playing to an empty house.  North Texas has the chance to market to a much larger fanbase if simply based on nothing other than enrollment, but SMU is going to have to come up with some way to find more fans, one way or another. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SMUleopold said:

No.  The attendance thing is always going to be a problem for us, to be honest with you. 

- Small-ish school whose alumni tend to scatter upon graduation
- Little or no winning for two generations, so nobody looks back fondly on football games

-No 'T-shirt' fans

- A conference affiliation that provides no real ticket sales to opponents, or even provides much name recognition to the average fan. 

SMU has a little under 6500 undergrad, and around 30,000 alumni in Dallas, around 45,000 in DFW.   So if every undergraduate and living alumni in Dallas attended a game we would just barely sell it out.   

This is the point of the whole 'Dallas' marketing idea.  Yes, it's cheesy and distracting, but the school and Sonny both realize if SMU never gets the city behind us, then we are always going to be playing to an empty house.  North Texas has the chance to market to a much larger fanbase if simply based on nothing other than enrollment, but SMU is going to have to come up with some way to find more fans, one way or another. 

SMU sure likes their basketball team, maybe now they will start showing up to the football games now. 

19 hours ago, BigT3x said:

Even the announcers noted how horrible the attendance is for you clowns. The country knows your fans are pathetic 

25 minutes ago, Big Z said:

SMU sure likes their basketball team, maybe now they will start showing up to the football games now. 

SMU basketball under Larry Brown is a good comparison point.  

SMU and Larry had to sell roughly 6k tickets a game to get people to come to recently renovated state-of-the art basketball coliseum to watch a Hall-of-Fame coach with a top 25 and even top 10 team play nationally recognizable programs such as Louisville, UConn, Memphis, Cincinatti, Southern Cal, and others.  Even SMU could market that.  

SMU football, on the other hand, has to sell 32k tickets a game to get people to come to a 'high school stadium' to watch a retread coach with retread players play schools nobody in Dallas knows, like East Carolina.  Totally different monster.  I genuinely hope the 'Dallas' thing works out.   

Edited by SMUleopold
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Back to the subject...SMU won't win out. They barely hanged on to beat Tulsa. That re-tread thing is working out for them this season. They'll be like UAB next year...not what they were the prior year.

Honestly, I think we end up 10-2 -  the second half of the season looks more daunting than the first.  Love to win the conference, though.

But for next year? 

Sorry to be argumentative, but we have as many as 18 starters back.   Call me whatever you want, but at this point, I expect us to be ranked in the preseason.  The school has actually shown some initiative and started selling 2020 season passes.   

• Upvote 1