WIll SMU win out?

NT91

After UCF was beaten last night by Cincinnati I think SMU owns Dallas and could likely win out and finish in the top ten. Kind of shows where good recruiting and use of the transfer rule can transform a team . I find it sickening that all Denton High School coaches give us NO help in recruiting and actually down play us to their players.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, DallasGreen said:

After UCF was beaten last night by Cincinnati I think SMU owns Dallas and could likely win out and finish in the top ten. Kind of shows where good recruiting and use of the transfer rule can transform a team . I find it sickening that all Denton High School coaches give us NO help in recruiting and actually down play us to their players.

Isn't the majority of their new found success based on their use of transfers from the portal?

15 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Tulsa has a serious defense and is probably the best team the Dallas Mustangs have faced.  I'd pick Dallas Mustangs for the moneyline, but Tulsa will cover the spread.

Come to think of it..... They had to disassociate with the name "SMU" to have success. Even their players play harder when their uniforms do not connect them to the name SMU.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Does that still happen? I thought it would have changed with Seth, Patrick and company?

• Upvote 2

SMU will still have to give tickets away (a la the Mustang Mania mass ticket give-away era) to fill 3/4’s  of G. Ford Stadium.

Sad is how their students could care less unless they are playing UT or TAMU  & sadder is how its a few fat cat SMU alums smoking stinky cigars & living in their P5 SWC past who keep that football program on life support (no matter what their present record is). 

•  If you have to tell Dallas that you are “their team” then you’s got “trouble in River City with a capital T.” 

I know our past & I know SMU’s past but for the New NCAA I still prefer our upside because..... It’s a numbers game, baby-eee’ & we have an AD who has just begun to tap into those numbers.  

Just let SMU go their way.  If we play them fine—if we don’t I’d bet we could get a better OOC opponent who actually brings fans.  (BYU)?

Honestly, we’ve been ostracized one too many times by them to suit many of us. (Remember the SMU Prez’s choice of “the Little Red & Blue Train That Could” over UNT for the old  CUSA membership a few years ago?  

Some all but allow them to dictate what our Athletic future is & that’s giving one little rich kids school way more influence than they really have. ❇️ I’m a proud North Texas alum who has an opinion or 2.  50 years of this tends to do that to we older MG fans who still give a damn. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You look at most their stars and they are transfers. I wonder how that will impact high school recruiting.

I'd say not much.  Kids will still want to be at a P5 SEC school even if they're warming the bench.  What it does change is the ability of those kids to move around after 2 years because warming the bench at an SEC school may or may not get you drafted.  Seth needs to be able to leverage these kids desire to play.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You look at most their stars and they are transfers. I wonder how that will impact high school recruiting.

I think this will make it even more critical for G5 coaches to go after higher rated players and continue to keep in touch until they sign. Leave them with a good feeling about your school since they could transfer

9 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Come to think of it..... They had to disassociate with the name "SMU" to have success. Even their players play harder when their uniforms do not connect them to the name SMU.

They have the SMU on the uniforms today .... lets see what happens

• Ray 1

11 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Better tap the brakes on that pony love.  

Getting spanked at home right now...in front of a crowd smaller than when we brought half of it.   So much for “owning” Dallas

53 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Better tap the brakes on that pony love.  

Getting spanked at home right now...in front of a crowd smaller than when we brought half of it.   So much for “owning” Dallas

Pony offense had suddenly awoken from their slumber late in the game... Tulsa better wind that clock down now that they have the ball.