DRC: UNT bye week thoughts

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, Travis said:

I am hoping we are searching for a new OC next year.  With so much we had returning this year... i struggle seeing how we aren't doing more with this O. Reeder is the only difference, IMO.

So losing JG & Bussey didn’t do anything to the offense’s productivity?  The offense is fine after the 1st quarter (along with the rest of the team).

Through 5 games:
1st quarter points: 24 total, for an average of 4.8pts per quarter/game.  This includes a fast start VS ACU that significantly buoyed the overall number.   We've put goose eggs up 3 out of 5 games in Q1.

2nd quarter points: 61 total, for an average of 12.2pts per quarter/game.

3rd quarter points: 49 total, for an average of 9.8pts per quarter/game.

4th quarter points: 31 total, for an average of 6.2pts per quarter/game.

The issue is not with the offense or Reeder.   It's a mindframe issue with the team when they begin a game... they're just not ready or something.   Once they settle down & come alive, they're still the same high-octane offense & smothering defense they were last year.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So losing JG & Bussey didn’t do anything to the offense’s productivity?  The offense is fine after the 1st quarter (along with the rest of the team).

Through 5 games:
1st quarter points: 24 total, for an average of 4.8pts per quarter/game.  This includes a fast start VS ACU that significantly buoyed the overall number.   We've put goose eggs up 3 out of 5 games in Q1.

2nd quarter points: 61 total, for an average of 12.2pts per quarter/game.

3rd quarter points: 49 total, for an average of 9.8pts per quarter/game.

4th quarter points: 31 total, for an average of 6.2pts per quarter/game.

The issue is not with the offense or Reeder.   It's a mindframe issue with the team when they begin a game... they're just not ready or something.   Once they settle down & come alive, they're still the same high-octane offense & smothering defense they were last year.

Last year we couldn't finish games, so this year we can't start games?  Who would of thought...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mo Green said:

Last year we couldn't finish games, so this year we can't start games?  Who would of thought...

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Very perplexing/frustrating for sure.

Seems to me that Harrell prepared a better opening script, whereas Reeder makes better adjustments(ish) in the second half

Maybe Reeder doesn't believe in scripting the first 10-15 plays? Or just isn't great at it.

I feel like opening up with a scripted tempo offense to get going would be really helpful.

7 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Our O line isn't as consistent as it needs to be. They clearly have flashes of being good, but they have too many breakdowns. 

Pass protection has been a major problem.  If they could give time for receivers to run their routes and Fine time to find them, the story on this year's O is completely different.

• Upvote 2

I was just looking at some clips of Fine in '17 & '18, it is evident that putting those 20 lbs. on him plus the beatings that Utah St. & LaTech put on him last year have taken their toll. He is now wild high every game, is absolutely no threat to scramble , and really does not handle the game as well as he once did. Except for the era of Jeffery Wilson, he has the best set of running backs since SL has been here.  The only reason anyone can stop these backs is that they are daring Fine to throw. Even in prior year many of his passes were under thrown but Guyton and Bussey could come back and make a circus catch and Fine would get the credit. Believe me I saw Steve Ramsey who played against far better competition and Mason Fine is no Steve Ramsey. I think all the press early and preseason also got in his head.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 8

12 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

I was just looking at some clips of Fine in '17 & '18, it is evident that putting those 20 lbs. on him plus the beatings that Utah St. & LaTech put on him last year have taken their toll. He is now wild high every game, is absolutely no threat to scramble , and really does not handle the game as well as he once did. Except for the era of Jeffery Wilson, he has the best set of running backs since SL has been here.  The only reason anyone can stop these backs is that they are daring Fine to throw. Even in prior year many of his passes were under thrown but Guyton and Bussey could come back and make a circus catch and Fine would get the credit. Believe me I saw Steve Ramsey who played against far better competition and Mason Fine is no Steve Ramsey. I think all the press early and preseason also got in his head.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

0CC1C2A2-7A02-4298-8E3A-64FC75E823DD.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/5/2019 at 8:50 AM, DallasGreen said:

Let’s see what he does in the easiest conference in college football.

Edited by Big Z
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

And don’t forget...Ramsey did all that while having enough time to take two steps before a D End was breathing down his throat, right?

Ramsey did all of that while running for his life, right?

Ramsey did all of that after having to pick himself up off the ground from getting freight trained 3-5 times a game, right?

After all the years of watching football you have under your belt it’s shocking how little you’ve retained at what makes a QB successfull...AN OFFENSIVE LINE

Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Scott Hall, Giovani Vizza and Derik Thompson.......all had better lines than the line Mason Fine has had to stand behind this year.

Rick

63% career passer with over 10K yards has time to throw the ball. That's just a bunch of BS. The UNT line is not great, but they are good enough to give him time to throw a football. He has missed his target 3 fold more than he has been sacked this year. And as far as him getting hit, it's football. This version of MF is more similar to freshman MF than it is SO. & JR. Mason Fine. We can like the guy all the same and commend him for his accomplishments while we're at it. But when it needs to be pointed out that he's playing poorly, then it is what it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

On 10/5/2019 at 8:50 AM, DallasGreen said:

No, Fine is no Ramsey; he is  better. 

Fine has better touch and no way near the interceptions that Ramsey had.  Fine is not a great running quarterback, but Ramsey was like a statue back there. 

Ramsey, also had a lot of future all NFL players on his team.  

What better competition did Ramsey play against?  The MVC was no better than CUSA.  Just because Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis are now very good football programs, doesn't mean they were in the Ramsey era. 

I was a big Ramsey fan, he was the second greatest QB to ever wear the Green.   Fine just happens to be the best. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

No, Fine is no Ramsey; he is  better. 

Fine has better touch and no way near the interceptions that Ramsey had.  Fine is not a great running quarterback, but Ramsey was like a statue back there. 

Ramsey, also had a lot of future all NFL players on his team.  

What better competition did Ramsey play against?  The MVC was no better than CUSA.  Just because Cincinnati, Louisville and Memphis are now very good football programs, doesn't mean they were in the Ramsey era. 

I was a big Ramsey fan, he was the second greatest QB to ever wear the Green.   Fine just happens to be the best. 

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

63% career passer with over 10K yards has time to throw the ball.

Yeah,..10k , of which 9800 was with a better line and receiving Corp the previous three years. 

He’s been sacked 10 times so far,...which ranks him as the  67th sacked QB nationally, and probably drilled twice that many times.  He’s not playing Iike himself,...and there’s a reason for it and one is he’s not got near the team around him he’s had in the past, especially the O line.  The only thing that’s helped is Siggers who is forcing DC’s to rethink their blitzes.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Yeah,..10k , of which 9800 was with a better line and receiving Corp the previous three years. 

He’s been sacked 10 times and probably drilled twice that many times.  He’s not playing Iike himself,...and there’s a reason for it and one is he’s not got near the team around him he’s had in the past, especially the O line.  The only thing that’s helped is Siggers who is forcing DC’s to rethink their blitzes.

Rick

I'm too lazy to look the numbers up, but his sacks and hurries are probably on par from previous seasons. 

• Downvote 2

Maybe BR needs his own quarterback.  There seems to be a lack of chemistry between Fine and our new OC. BR might be solid but may just need to wait for his guy. Sucks for us because Fine is finishing like this, but relationship and chemistry between those two must be hyper synched. 

GMG

• Confused 1