Beyond The Green: Seth & Mason

MGNation92

Wouldn’t miss that game.

RAMBLING ROADS...

I just hope losing to SMU & UH this Fall doesn’t define this program’s last 4 years as it seems to with some as you read this forum.   We’re just not there yet is the lesson we should have learned from those 2 losses. Slick SMU out-smarted many schools with a new way to recruit, win over-night & get ranked.  Having a Heisman winner 75 years ago & being Dallas 2’nd professional team in the 80’s apparently still gets the attention of poll voters albeit they still can’t draw at Ford. Many of their students apparently need a map to find their on-campus stadium on Game Day.  A school located in University Park has to remind Dallas that a school few in Big D can afford is “their school.”   (Wonder who Dallas County could belong to)? 🤔

Some of us had created in each of our respective Green Kool-ade minds something that just didn’t exist yet.  Still, the SMU-UH losses showed us what we have to do.  There is certainly no ambiguity about that if there ever was. 

The Portland State disaster for a program that I still think the prior coaching group thought Apogee’s opening alone would recruit North Texas a winner. Gray Eagle & others of us could not understand post-Apogee opening why having such  a venue didn’t show better results in our recruiting hauls.  Seems the coaching staff from that era thought that all they had to say to recruits was—here we are, y’all come see our new digs & BTW here’s the dotted line. • There was some talent alright with McCarney with even some leftovers from the Dodge era that won a HOD Bowl game before a record crowd of Mean Green fans, but just not enough was leftover to have had several consecutive winning seasons pre-Portland State.

So this was the bottomed-out culture in the Mean Green Village that Seth Littrell inherited.  Some on GMG even said he was hired too late to have had a chance to have a good across the board 1’st recruiting class—except for a kid from Peggs, Oklahoma. 

• Rarely have newly-hired North Texas HFC’s the last half century (many of us have observed) ever inherited a cupboard that you could (exactly) say was filled with over-whelming talent.  

At North Texas we know what we have to do now so dammit’—let’s do it!   The journey can many times still be as exciting as the destination. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Having a Heisman winner 75 years ago & being Dallas 2’nd professional team in the 80’s apparently still gets the attention of poll voters albeit they still can’t draw at Ford.

As much as it pains me to give credit to SMU for anything...I'm gonna say that their 5-0 start with a road win vs a top 25 team had more to do with their ranking. They beat a P5 on the road and started 4-0. (sounds familiar) but then they went on the road and destroyed a talented USF team. Whereas we came home after our 4-0 start and crapped the bed against a CUSA team. They have capitalized on their opportunity. We did not. G5s have no room for error. A 1 loss SMU team does not get ranked. They haven't lost one yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

As much as it pains me to give credit to SMU for anything...I'm gonna say that their 5-0 start with a road win vs a top 25 team had more to do with their ranking. They beat a P5 on the road and started 4-0. (sounds familiar) but then they went on the road and destroyed a talented USF team. Whereas we came home after our 4-0 start and crapped the bed against a CUSA team. They have capitalized on their opportunity. We did not. G5s have no room for error. A 1 loss SMU team does not get ranked. They haven't lost one yet.

COULD  IT BE...SMU will not sustain what they did in large numbers last recruiting season after larger public universities in the Southwest spread their wings & get the portal transfers fever? So load up while you can, SL.  

Also watch the NCAA powers that be put limits on such “free agent” transfers after they study the  long term ramifications more than they obviously did.  Just as they did scholarship maximums of 30 per year decades ago. 

Remember when DKR’s UT & others in the NCAA could give out as many scholarships as they wished?  Word back then is the  Big Boys would actually give a scholarship to a kid that they knew would never start for them  just to keep the TCU’s, SMU’s, Baylor, etc  from signing them.  Sad but true.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Eye Roll 1

We win the bowl game and Alex would of been the MVP and I really wanted that for him. One of my all time highlights was the win at Arkansas and it was made even more special we were sitting in the Ark QB club section. With Mac there were so many times we would play teams with undersized QBs and just get drilled and many times fans screamed for us to take this route in recruiting and finally Mason shows up in coaches first class. Mason really sums up what makes college sports so enjoyable with the challenges he had overcome and as we all know it was done through hard work and the idealism that he is as good as anybody. I love the statement that " Nobody is going to out work me". Let's beat SM and I will have the tissues for the UAB game. GMG

• Upvote 2

Ok let’s bring up stats since majority on here will vouch and make excuses on Fine’s play this season. 

ACU - Sacked 1 time 

SMU - Sacked 5 times

California - Sacked 2 times

UTSA - Sacked 0 times 

Houston - Sacked 1 time 

Besides the SMU game and a stout California defense, the O-line isn’t that bad as you think. This has been the toughest OCC schedule in a while against better competition. Fine will do what Fine does best by beating the CUSA competition. But people need to realize receivers needs to get open more and the teams needs to play better. 

52 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

You must have not been around for the Giovanni Vizza days.

My memories of Vizza

holy crap look at this kid’s talent!
holy crap he has Favre-like guns
holy crap he has Favre-like improvisation
”...if we’re gonna have any chance at a win, we need you to throw a ninth TD pass today...”
holy crap he’s running for his life (lots of this)

....probably my all-time favorite QB to not work out.  The entire situation, especially his transfer, was one ugly mess.

9 hours ago, Big Z said:

Ok let’s bring up stats since majority on here will vouch and make excuses on Fine’s play this season. 

ACU - Sacked 1 time 

SMU - Sacked 5 times

California - Sacked 2 times

UTSA - Sacked 0 times 

Houston - Sacked 1 time 

Besides the SMU game and a stout California defense, the O-line isn’t that bad as you think. This has been the toughest OCC schedule in a while against better competition. Fine will do what Fine does best by beating the CUSA competition. But people need to realize receivers needs to get open more and the teams needs to play better. 

Sacks don’t tell the whole story.

We’re 67th in sacks allowed.

We’re 105th in Tackles For A Loss Alliwed.

I assure you were it not for MF ‘s game awareness that sack total would be much worse.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Sacks don’t tell the whole story.

We’re 67th in sacks allowed.

We’re 105th in Tackles For A Loss Alliwed.

I assure you were it not for MF ‘s game awareness that sack total would be much worse.

Rick

What about the defense? What about the receivers not getting opened enough? Special teams? Playing against better competition? Holding on to the ball too long? Our offense line isn’t elite but other areas are not either, but I think it’s ludacris to keep blaming the offensive line. The whole teams need to play better, I think we will be ok in conference play. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The problem with Vizza is he try to act like Michael Vick and wanted to run outside the pocket a lot. Then he would try to put his head down or shoulder to run over LBs and DBs....and that didn’t last long.

26 minutes ago, Big Z said:

What about the defense? What about the receivers not getting opened enough? Special teams? Playing against better competition? Holding on to the ball too long? Our offense line isn’t elite but other areas are not either, but I think it’s ludacris to keep blaming the offensive line. The whole teams need to play better, I think we will be ok in conference play. 

No one is blaming ALL of our ills on the O line.  But if In year four we can’t build one any better than the 105th in tackles for a loss there’s a problem.

rick

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No one is blaming ALL of our ills on the O line.  But if In year four we can’t build one any better than the 105th in tackles for a loss there’s a problem.

rick

Where did you get the 105th? NCAA stat website shows 50th for North Texas for team tackles for a loss and 72th for sacks allowed. 

20 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Unfortunately wasn't living in Dallas area at the time and it was next to impossible find games to watch in real time.

Maybe if MySpace had been streaming the games. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle