He Was Just Down The Street But Ol’ Dan Just Couldn’t Use Him.

FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

hell by this logic... Tuaefa could have been injured in a practice his sophomore year here and had nagging injuries the rest of his career, never becoming a full-time starter

What other scenarios can we dream up?

I know right.... if Dan McCarney had never played at iowa?

#WouldaCouldaShoulda

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

30 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Well I was a freshman in 2004 so Mac gave me my only bowl win.

No matter how bad of a coach you are I think he is Mac got us a bowl win and until the savior Seth gets one that's my best moment in UNT football.

This is true.  And I hate to pick on him about Tuaefa but JT was all over us and was ignored while the rest of us were being told by the head guy that..”George....this is the smallest, slowest football team I’ve ever coached”,..and...”George,...this isn’t the easiest place to recruit to”.

Then we have head-in-the-sand fans that want to turn it around and blame losses on recruiting and recruiting on anything else but the guys making to decisions.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Bye weeks suck

Bye weeks are great.  For instance,..I used mine to go out and get some T & A today..

No......not that kind of T & A....

This kind.

F9355C82-C812-44AA-92BA-C49E24F1089E.jpeg.b590a06bb9a6bdcfd001ec02c3039104.jpeg

But a country boy certainly has a decent shot at the first kind with a new set of the second, that’s for sure.😜😜😜

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Mac was a bad hire. 

The game was passing him by, and he had numerous health issues.

NT did get one good year with 9 wins including a bowl victory. 

He seemed to have completely lost the team in his last year and was fired in season.  

Pointing out one bad recruiting decision, seems odd.

Someone brought up Spud Webb in a similar situation.

Blakeley put a lot of effort in recruiting Webb but was fired

His replacement Tommy Newman did not offer Webb.

Newman had a boring offense and was very unsuccessful at the D1 basketball level.

Not offering Webb, imo was much worse than not signing what turned out to be an excellent college linebacker.

Webb, would have been an immediate and easy to predict crowd pleaser. 

Problem was he didn't fit Newman's slow basketball style

Newman's D1 career was defined by his lack of success, not his failure in signing Webb.

The point of this rambling comment is that both of these coaches made a lot of bad coaching decisions.  

The real problem was NT hiring these coaches, not the coaches' failure to sign any one recruit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Discussing something pertaining to football reported in the DRC today, during a bye week seems odd to you?

How odd?

Rick

Mac is long gone, every NT fan wished he had signed Tauaefa.

Yes, I think it is odd that once again we are discussing a topic that has been frequently discussed on this board.  Hell, I just wrote a short story on it above.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Or, in the alternative, require those that give out down votes to include their names.  for the record, I have never given anyone a down vote.

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Dumbest function of a board is to have any icon for a post...

Speaking of emojis, guarantees a lot of them.

I would vote to eliminate them if it came to that, but my guess is the emojis supporters would win in an election. 

It takes effort and something a tinge of bravery to state your views.

It is much easier to up or down vote rather than actually offer an opinion.  

Better yet to enter a "roll the eyes" which means I don't have a real opinion but I want to enter an emoji.  

Or enter a crazy, confused, etc. which you never know if they are referring to the writer, topic, or situation. 

Identifying the poster of emoji, would greatly reduce the negative usage.   

Look at the CUSA board, very few negative points given out and this is a board, which by nature, encourages thrash talk. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Mac is long gone, every NT fan wished he had signed Tauaefa.

Yes, I think it is odd that once again we are discussing a topic that has been frequently discussed on this board.  Hell, I just wrote a short story on it above.  

You sure are being hard on yourself, what with participating in such an odd discussion and all.

Have an eye roll from me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Eye Roll 2

20 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Really?! I didn’t know that or are you just messing Hahahaha 

It's true - I heard about Spud Webb, and Blakeley sending him to a Juco, even when I was a student.  I never understood, if Spud Webb was as good as they said, why Blakeley took the chance that Webb might not choose North Texas after that.

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, RiseUNT said:

Well I was a freshman in 2004 so Mac gave me my only bowl win.

No matter how bad of a coach you are I think he is Mac got us a bowl win and until the savior Seth gets one that's my best moment in UNT football.

He also brought us the most embarrassing loss in the history of D1 football. 

You are what your record says you are. MAC was 30 games under .500 as a HC when he was hired. Not a shock he didn’t improve on that in his time here. 

• Upvote 2