He Was Just Down The Street But Ol’ Dan Just Couldn’t Use Him.

FirefightnRick

And now he’s on the pro stage where he led the Giants in tackles during the preseason.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/football-lake-dallas-standout-tauaefa-signed-to-giants-active-/article_d2911979-6bc5-557e-a63b-5f6cf327b77e.html

Despite wanting to play for us as his mom and brothers told me two years ago, despite reaching out to our coaches up the road from Lake Dallas,....despite being the AP defensive player of the year his senior year good ol’ Dan and all of his football experts just couldn’t use him here at North Texas.  

But hey,...it’s our conference or our opponents or our location or facilities or (fill in the blank) of dumb ass excuses as to why we can’t get the best players available and win important games.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 9
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 11

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

And now he’s on the pro stage where he led the Giants in tackles during the preseason.

https://dentonrc.com/sports/football-lake-dallas-standout-tauaefa-signed-to-giants-active-/article_d2911979-6bc5-557e-a63b-5f6cf327b77e.html

Despite wanting to play for us as his mom and brothers told me two years ago, despite reaching out to our coaches up the road from Lake Dallas,....despite being the AP defensive player of the year his senior year good ol’ Dan and all of his football experts just couldn’t use him here at North Texas.  

But hey,...it’s our conference or our opponents or our location or facilities or (fill in the blank) of dumb ass excuses as to why we can’t get the best players available and win important games.

Rick

But he did got us Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/3/2019 at 10:02 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

North Texas once turned down Spud Webb who also wanted to come to North Texas.  Can you imagine the ticket selling power?

Good ol' Tommy Newman.  Turned Spud down after Blakely placed him at Midland College.  We know how that story ended.

Image result for spud webb slam dunk

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Oh bells’hells!😳

We know our favorite school has caught up & done great things of late, but we also once built an Olympic size swimming pool at the PEB that was “one foot” short of, uh, being Olympic size!😳😊

Kind of like one once said “if you’ve ever screwed up, then you’d know how I feel.”😇

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Did Tommy Newman ever claim this was a difficult place to recruit to?

Rick

Is Seth Littrell claiming this is a difficult place to recruit to?  I'm failing to see our current-state parallel.

I think everyone can agree that NT football hit rock-bottom (since our return to D1 Football) under Dan McCarney.  Why bring it back up as if it's pertinent today?

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Why bring it back up as if it's pertinent today?

It points out how easily the experts can get it so wrong.  

Anything regarding recruiting past or future is pertinent today. Littrell may not be saying this is a hard place to recruit to now but a future coach might?  Plus we have fans that believe it.

If you don’t like being reminded about it put me on ignore and take some of your own advice and move on.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

It points out how easily the experts can get it so wrong.  

Anything regarding recruiting past or future is pertinent today. Littrell may not be saying this is a hard place to recruit to now but a future coach might?  Plus we have fans that believe it.

If you don’t like being reminded about it put me on ignore and take some of your own advice and move on.

Rick

I would expect that future coach to be promptly fired.
And I'm not going to ignore you.  I like you.  Just trying to understand why Tauaefa needs to be rehashed again when the bonehead who made that mistake is long gone.

• Upvote 4

I get it, but just look at the offer breakdown I did in the recruiting forum. We have LOTS of quality starters that no other or only one or two other offers. And all were in the recruiting area of another FBS school or schools. Fine, Khairi, Josh Wheeler, JoJo, Kemon, Sosaia, Novil, EJ, Sa’afi, and Colvin had no offers. Tyreke had one. Hamilton had two, just like Torrey and Brammer. (The good news is that we likely won’t have to rely on as many hidden gems in the future.) Hell Mike Law did even get a scholarship offer period. 

So that means other schools missed. I am sure there is some school, probably even one we play, that is kicking itself for not going after those guys. 

• Upvote 1

BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY: Some of us have kept up with Boise St.since we parted ways as conference-mates in the Big West.  When the Broncos first began recruiting toward being a Top 25 fixture they also recruited a bunch of “projects.”   Sports scribes marveled how BSU  could have so many unheralded recruiting classes, lose so many HFC’s, but  still stay in the Top 25 most years.  They would still be a good model for North Texas (except for a 🔷 blue football field)😳

GMG !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Just trying to understand why Tauaefa needs to be rehashed again when the bonehead who made that mistake is long gone.

Because it points to the inexactness of recruiting and how the experts get it wrong at times. You didn’t need to see stars beside his name, or read a recruiting summary of him or see his offer list.  You just had to see him play in HS to know the guy was special. 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

20 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY: Some of us have kept up with Boise St.since we parted ways as conference-mates in the Big West.  When the Broncos first began recruiting toward being a Top 25 fixture they also recruited a bunch of “projects.”   Sports scribes marveled how BSU  could have so many unheralded recruiting classes, lose so many HFC’s, but  still stay in the Top 25 most years.  They would still be a good model for North Texas (except for a 🔷 blue football field)😳

GMG !

For real. Go read the Dallas Cowboys' roster. More like the Dallas Broncos. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Boise took advantage of a solid market size and had plenty of potential fans and corporate sponsors for that school in a city (and state) that really had no one else to support. Sorry to those who believe the Kibbie Dome was special by BSU had zero competition for recruits or fans. 

Unfortunately, we don’t have the exact same advantages as they did, splitting the DFW market with two schools higher up the totem pole of CFB, as well as being surrounded by P5 giants within a 5 hour drive,, and pro teams in every sport. 

The only schools that I think we can fully emulate are UCF, UH, and Cincinnati because they look a lot like us as public schools in big markets that overlook them for the P5s in their state/region.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

Here’s the three LB’s Ol’ Dan and company thought were more worthy of an invite than Josiah.

Cortney Finney,

Dakota Smith,

Demetrius Cain

Did we win something last year I didn’t know about?  Think our defense couldn’t have used Tuaefa last year?  He might have been the player that snuffed out the junior high-level wheel rout that went for 70 on the first play of the NM Bowl last year,...completely changing the dynamics of that game before it got out of hand..who knows?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Here’s the three LB’s Ol’ Dan and company thought were more worthy of an invite than Josiah.

Cortney Finney,

Dakota Smith,

Demetrius Cain

Did we win something last year I didn’t know about?  Think our defense couldn’t have used Tuaefa last year?  He might have been the player that snuffed out the junior high-level wheel rout that went for 70 on the first play of the NM Bowl last year,...completely changing the dynamics of that game before it got out of hand..who knows?

Rick

Well, I see this is a point you're hammering home. But watching Tuaefa, he isn't sniffing out ANY wheel route by ANY RB worth their scholarship. But I understand your point of him being a helpful player. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

this is a weird post. i mean, Mac obviously missed here, but Mac missed a lot... 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Cortney Finney,

Dakota Smith,

Demetrius Cain

Rick

hell by this logic... Tuaefa could have been injured in a practice his sophomore year here and had nagging injuries the rest of his career, never becoming a full-time starter

What other scenarios can we dream up?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Boise took advantage of a solid market size and had plenty of potential fans and corporate sponsors for that school in a city (and state) that really had no one else to support. Sorry to those who believe the Kibbie Dome was special by BSU had zero competition for recruits or fans. 

Unfortunately, we don’t have the exact same advantages as they did, splitting the DFW market with two schools higher up the totem pole of CFB, as well as being surrounded by P5 giants within a 5 hour drive,, and pro teams in every sport. 

The only schools that I think we can fully emulate are UCF, UH, and Cincinnati because they look a lot like us as public schools in big markets that overlook them for the P5s in their state/region.

For those that disagree with the post I made, please explain your reasoning besides hiding behind a downvote... 

• Upvote 1