After Jim Delany's silly 'slippery slope' remark, here are 9 potential effects of 'pay-for-play' changes

Coach Andy Mac

Just now, Cerebus said:

I would not.   I think at players at every FBS program, and top FCS programs, were getting "financial compensation" outside of scholarships, and have been for decades.

Boosters have just gotten better about obscuring it. 

OK--Ill play. Who is paying players here at UNT? Who is getting paid on our roster? Mason Fine, the QB from Podunk, OKahoma that is so small that literally no other FBS school even considered him? Who else?

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

So getting away from IF they should do it.

HOW would they do it?

Why does the state of California have jurisdiction over the NCAA? The NCAA is basically a private company. Like many other private companies that leave California due to excessive regulations...why couldn't the NCAA?

What's to stop the NCAA from saying: "Ok fine...they don't have to follow our rules....but they cant' compete for NCAA championships."

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

OK--Ill play. Who is paying players here at UNT? Who is getting paid on our roster? Mason Fine, the QB from Podunk, OKahoma that is so small that literally no other FBS school even considered him? Who else?

Man, I’m glad we are apparently still playing amateur college football here in Denton even though all those other FBS and apparently FCS teams are paying players by their boosters...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I would not.   I think at players at every FBS program, and top FCS programs, were getting "financial compensation" outside of scholarships, and have been for decades.

Boosters have just gotten better about obscuring it. 

I am not sure about the "every" part.  I remember a conversation with NT's best known past coach.  He complained about the rampant buying of players.  Not so much because of the morality of it, but the fact that he didn't have the funds to do it. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That's not what I mean, and I believe you know that.

No I don't, because I think you are choosing to believe in an alternative reality that doesn't exist.

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Paying players a stipend and a scholarship is definitely amateur compared to paying players a signing bonus and continued bonuses while playing for your school.

Why?  

1. At first it was "amateur = no compensation". 
  2. Then it when people started to give compensation there was a bunch of gnashing of teeth and claims this was the end of college football, except it didn't end. 
  3. Then people said fine "amateur = compensation in the form of an athletic scholarship". 
  4. Then when the stipend was first introduced there was more gnashing of teeth and claims this was the end of college football, except it didn't end. 
  5. Then people said, alright, "amateur = compensation in the form of an athletic scholarship and a stipend".
  6. Now, people are discussing allowing student athletes the right to their own name and image, and now there a bunch of gnashing of teeth (along with some good old rending of clothes) and the usual claims this was the end of college football.

College football survived all that teeth gnashing before.  In fact it's gotten bigger over time.   Sports change, I hate the DH but it's never going away.  The forward pass is legal.   We'll adjust to this as well. 

If compensation = College football is dying then it's been dying for about 145 of the 150 years it has existed. 

20 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Why does the state of California have jurisdiction over the NCAA?

They don't.  But they do have have legislative control of the money that the state sends to California universities, and if they want to continue to receive that money from the state they have to follow state law.  A new law says a state university can't remove an athletic scholarship or stipend if a student athlete exercises their right to own, and profit from, their own name and image.  That's all the law says.  It doesn't say the university has to pay a single penny more to anyone, just that they can't prevent student athletes from exercising a right every other student has. 

Look this is the NCAA's fault.  They new for years this was going to happen, and they never even formed the committee they said (in 2014) they would to address it.  They can't ban the California schools, New York, Florida, Arizona, Georgia, and Oklahoma has people working on similar bills.  What are they going to do, ban the SEC, B12, and PAC12 from the CFP?