After Jim Delany's silly 'slippery slope' remark, here are 9 potential effects of 'pay-for-play' changes

Coach Andy Mac

If you are looking for a slippery slope it came whenever so-called amateur sports became such a big, unapologetic business that a guy like Jim Delany could reap $20 million bonuses. That was the real point of no return. That’s when SB 206, in some form, became reality.

College athletics is flat-footed and in a panic right now because guys such as Delany — not to mention fellow multimillionaires Mark Emmert from the NCAA or Bob Bowlsby from the Big 12 or Larry Scott from the Pac-12 — did nothing to prevent, let alone plan for, this day.

read more: https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/after-jim-delanys-asinine-slippery-slope-remark-here-are-9-potential-impacts-of-payforplay-changes-235859965.html

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

If you are looking for a slippery slope it came whenever so-called amateur sports became such a big, unapologetic business that a guy like Jim Delany could reap $20 million bonuses. That was the real point of no return. That’s when SB 206, in some form, became reality.

College athletics is flat-footed and in a panic right now because guys such as Delany — not to mention fellow multimillionaires Mark Emmert from the NCAA or Bob Bowlsby from the Big 12 or Larry Scott from the Pac-12 — did nothing to prevent, let alone plan for, this day.

read more: https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/after-jim-delanys-asinine-slippery-slope-remark-here-are-9-potential-impacts-of-payforplay-changes-235859965.html

Pointing out another problem that has little to do with the subject is no answer.

Yes, administers and coaches make way too much money at some schools.  Is that really a rationale to pay players to further add to the inequities in college competition.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

9. Venmo/GoFundMe

Not everyone is going to get a deal. But every player should set up an account in case they are thrust into unexpected stardom. The anonymous special teamer who blocks a critical punt or a backup point guard that hits a game-winning free throw? Drunk alumni might fill up his GoFundMe in celebration. Same for the wrestler who wins a national title or the cross-country runner who ends up an All-American.

As much as the new era is about big donors and big money, the biggest contribution might come from small donors.

• Lovely Take 1

Obviously, many of us were in the wrong profession.

Politicians go to Washington dirt poor & leave (if they leave at all) as multi-millionaires & then college or pro  sports?  Sometimes you look at some of its key players & with some think hardly the brightest bulbs they are not, but are making off like a bandit.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

I remember when the company I worked for went "open concept." All managers went from their offices to cubes. In the meetings leading up to the change, some managers raised concerns. The people that were telling all the managers how great this would be were the VPs.....who kept offices. 

That's what these conference and NCAA executives are like.

There's not a single decent leader in this group.

• Upvote 4

Jim Delany is the poster child for "the problem" with NCAA sports.

Television contracts and sponsorship should be paid to the NCAA and revenue distribution should be equally divided among every scholarship athlete at every college regardless of sport, gender, or conference affiliation.

Any school that violates this policy should be barred from hosting participation.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't end up in court.  Can a state actually ban amateur athletics?

It will all be in the courts. How can any school decide that their men's basketball players will earn 100 times that of their female counterparts? Is your backup tailback now able to hold out for more money because the starter got injured? Is a player worth more at a really bad Arkansas team than a really good Arkansas State team?

The days of the sleazebag opportunists like Delany and their greed inspired schools need to come to an end. This California law, as bad as it originally sounds, may wind up being the the catalyst for fixing many of the problems in NCAA sports.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

How can any school decide that their men's basketball players will earn 100 times that of their female counterparts? Is your backup tailback now able to hold out for more money because the starter got injured? Is a player worth more at a really bad Arkansas team than a really good Arkansas State team?

These laws do not address schools paying athletes.  They allow athletes to receive endorsement deals, to receive royalties from jerseys with their name and number, and to otherwise profit from the fame they generate through playing college sports.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

It will all be in the courts. How can any school decide that their men's basketball players will earn 100 times that of their female counterparts? Is your backup tailback now able to hold out for more money because the starter got injured? Is a player worth more at a really bad Arkansas team than a really good Arkansas State team?

The days of the sleazebag opportunists like Delany and their greed inspired schools need to come to an end. This California law, as bad as it originally sounds, may wind up being the the catalyst for fixing many of the problems in NCAA sports.

The university or donors are not the one's, as far as this bill is concerned, forking money over to athletes. It's going to be solely on likeness and name recognition such as autograph signings, advertisements, public speaking engagements, etc. etc. Now, the blue bloods with deep pockets will exploit this rule and take full advantage of it via their donor base. But direct checks from the university or donors is not the premise of the bill. 

It's unprecedented and will not do what the "law" or "legislators" hope for it to. It's just a way to open the cork to watch it eventually free flow into eventual true pay for play. There are going to be maybe 1-2 athletes per (blue blood) team that will make legitimate money from this rule as it sits right now. The Tua's, Trevor Lawrence's, Jalen Hurts' of the World will be the one's raking in the money. Everyone else will be getting peanuts, if anything at all. It's an unbalanced bill and not meant to satisfy Title 9 requirements as it doesn't go against or for Title 9 requirements. It's all based on the popularity of X individual and what kind of endorsements, advertisements, etc. they can receive. 

It is in fact a slippery slope, because this most certainly will help widen the gap of the have's and have not's. 

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

Jim Delany is the poster child for "the problem" with NCAA sports.

Television contracts and sponsorship should be paid to the NCAA and revenue distribution should be equally divided among every scholarship athlete at every college regardless of sport, gender, or conference affiliation.

Any school that violates this policy should be barred from hosting participation.

Why?

Doesn't ESPN have the right to say they will pay more for content with schools with much bigger fanbases and history of success? Women’s sports don’t draw flies compared to men’s sports, non-revenue sports bring in nothing compared to football and hoops. And the SEC brings in tons more money and eyeballs than CUSA.

If the NCAA made conferences themselves and made all universities under them follow their lead, like the NFL or NBA does with its members, then I would understand your point of everything going thru the NCAA. But it’s nothing like that. Texas, OU, A&M, LSU, etc...they shouldn’t have to share money with non members of their classification. We have not done near enough to build a fanbase for a school with several hundred thousand alumni and students. That’s not Texas or A&M’s fault—they shouldn’t have to share money with us because we can’t fill a 30k stadium while they sellout their 100k+ stadiums. To think otherwise would almost be communistic...

So what's to stop a #1 recruit's dad from shopping around to different boosters?

"Hey USC Booster, whatcha got? you'll pay my son $10k a month for a monthly autograph session? OK cool, I'll get back to you."

"Hey UCLA Booster, I got a $10k offer....what do you think? Oh, $20k? ok let me get back to you."

Maybe that's not a big deal?

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

So what's to stop a #1 recruit's dad from shopping around to different boosters?

"Hey USC Booster, whatcha got? you'll pay my son $10k a month for a monthly autograph session? OK cool, I'll get back to you."

"Hey UCLA Booster, I got a $10k offer....what do you think? Oh, $20k? ok let me get back to you."

Maybe that's not a big deal?

I think this is exactly how it will go. Hey kid, I’m Big Jim Jack and I love me some Alabama football. Why don’t you come here for $50k? Oh, you mean LSU is offering you $75k? Well, I’ll give you $100k...

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I think this is exactly how it will go. Hey kid, I’m Big Jim Jack and I love me some Alabama football. Why don’t you come here for $50k? Oh, you mean LSU is offering you $75k? Well, I’ll give you $100k...

Is there now a market for agents for high school seniors? Now they can go out and negotiate deals for their likeness...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m telling you, this is where amateur college sports goes to officially die...

Good.  Grief.

If any of you honestly think that college football in it's current form is an amateur sport, then I don't know what to tell you.   Real amateur college football ended a few years after it started.  First college football game was 1869, by the mid 1870s dozens of colleges provide financial incentives to play. 

The era of the "fake amateur" college football came to an end when OU won NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.  Once the television money came into CFB, it was just a professional sport, just one where leadership managed to convince

1) the buyers that they needed to pay huge money to watch it, and

2) the workers that they didn't need to get paid.  

It was fun (for the NCAA and the colleges) while it lasted.    College Football is a 14 BILLION dollar industry.   It isn't an amateur sport and it hasn't been for a long time.

PS: If what you really care about is "amateur" status, the soccer team would love to see you buy season ticket.  Track and Field has a really nice new facility for you to check out as well. 

To me, the solution is let athletes who are ready to go pro go pro. Remove the age restrictions, create an NFL minor league system, whatever else. Then, allow athletes who are good enough go straight to the NFL/minor leagues. The rest can use the college system, as is, to develop and grow into NFL talent. Give the athletes a choice of going pro or remaining an amateur and playing college ball.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Good.  Grief.

If any of you honestly think that college football in it's current form is an amateur sport, then I don't know what to tell you.   Real amateur college football ended a few years after it started.  First college football game was 1869, by the mid 1870s dozens of colleges provide financial incentives to play. 

The era of the "fake amateur" college football came to an end when OU won NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.  Once the television money came into CFB, it was just a professional sport, just one where leadership managed to convince

It was fun (for the NCAA and the colleges) while it lasted.    College Football is a 14 BILLION dollar industry.   It isn't an amateur sport and it hasn't been for a long time.

PS: If what you really care about is "amateur" status, the soccer team would love to see you buy season ticket.  Track and Field has a really nice new facility for you to check out as well. 

Look, I get the cynicism, but I think you would agree that the current rules DO discourage most from doing things dirty...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

To me, the solution is let athletes who are ready to go pro go pro. Remove the age restrictions, create an NFL minor league system, whatever else. Then, allow athletes who are good enough go straight to the NFL/minor leagues. The rest can use the college system, as is, to develop and grow into NFL talent. Give the athletes a choice of going pro or remaining an amateur and playing college ball.

I agree with removing the age restrictions. Just do it. You want to get paid? enter the draft. take your chances.

However...you couldn't fill a starting offense and defense with enough players out of the thousands that play college football that could actually go pro at 18. But hey...let them choose.

This law will effect less than 1% of college football players and yet will have a profound impact on the entire sport

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

Look, I get the cynicism, but I think you would agree that the current rules DO discourage most from doing things dirty...

I would not.   I think at players at every FBS program, and top FCS programs, were getting "financial compensation" outside of scholarships, and have been for decades.

Boosters have just gotten better about obscuring it. 

13 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Good.  Grief.

That's not what I mean, and I believe you know that. Paying players a stipend and a scholarship is definitely amateur compared to paying players a signing bonus and continued bonuses while playing for your school. There's nothing amateur about being officially an NFL-lite program.