It goes without saying

Hunter Green

I know Wren is putting the pieces in place to get us in a better position when realignment comes around again with the athletics Master Plan, but good lord! I wish we could get out of CUSA or maybe a better Commissioner who could better position the conference with TV contracts whether they be regional or whatever. Could UNT negotiate with a local channel to at least get our away games televised?  Would there be interest with the Texas teams? Perhaps we could package the four of us a a regional TV deal to televise our games. Not knowing the ins and outs of how this works, I'm sure the conference wouldn't allow it or perhaps the NCAA, or perhaps it's too expensive. I don't know. Just rambling out of frustration of our current place in the world.

Carry on. 

Edited by Hunter Green
mis-spell
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I know Wren is putting the pieces in place to get us in a better position when realignment comes around again with the athletics Master Plan, but good lord! I wish we could get out of CUSA or maybe a better Commissioner who could better position the conference with TV contracts whether they be regional or whatever. Could UNT negotiate with a local channel to at least get our away games televised?  Would there be interest with the Texas teams? Perhaps we could package the four of us a a regional TV deal to televise our games. Not knowing the ins and outs of how this works, I'm sure the conference wouldn't allow it or perhaps the NCAA, or perhaps it's too expensive. I don't know. Just rambling out of frustration of our current place in the world.

Carry on. 

I think the reality is that local outlets would come to us if they felt it was worth their time. For many reasons, they haven’t done that. Maybe Wren Baker tried to sell us to these local networks and they just passed. 

It is what it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Other than not being able to DVR the game if I have a conflict or something, I don't mind streaming the game on-line...many have replay options that make up for that.  The camera angles and/or the announcers are not always the best, but it's infinitely better than not being able to watch the game at all.  However, I was perplexed by the Facebook stream of the Houston game.  It's my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that this Facebook production was part of the C-USA deal/package.  However, the coverage seemed to be all Houston, all the time.  If I watch an OOC game on the SEC network, for example, I expect the production to lean toward the SEC team, same with the Longhorn network or the Big10 network.  I realize Facebook isn't the same as a C-USA network (if there was one), but it just seemed that the coverage was more geared toward the Houston fan than the UNT fan.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think the reality is that local outlets would come to us if they felt it was worth their time. For many reasons, they haven’t done that. Maybe Wren Baker tried to sell us to these local networks and they just passed. 

It is what it is.

I hear ya. And again, I don't have a spy-fly on the wall of the AD and I trust that Wren is doing everything he can to better our position. I just wonder why we, SMUt, Houston, UTEP, nUTSAc and Rice don't pool our resources and influence to create a regional package and market it. We all want more exposure. Seems we on the lower rung of things would be pro-active and at least try to benefit ourselves. Maybe they (we) have.

Just a thought.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Hunter Green said:

There's always DVR.

Not from Kyrgystan, Moldova, Honduras, or Ecuador, which is where I have lived for 7 years this decade. And the other two years i have been in DC and the games are not always available.  Plus some of the networks require extended cable packages that I haven't had.

Never missed an online game though.

• Upvote 4

Just now, 97and03 said:

Not from Kyrgystan, Moldova, Honduras, or Ecuador, which is where I have lived for 7 years this decade. And the other two years i have been in DC and the games are not always available.  Plus some of the networks require extended cable packages that I haven't had.

Never missed an online game though.

Roger that!

🐇 RABBIT 🐰 CHASING !

HG, if the money is right DFW channel KFWD would televise 2 pregnant fleas fighting for control for a local flea circus. 

Former UNT AD Helwig (whether you liked his unique UNT color logos or not) had all 11 of our 1995 MG games televised—both home & away.  I like your “all away games” televised idea.  

🦠 We have to break from CUSA. Their TV (non) package for UNT this Fall is a revolting insult to the DFW Metroplex school with the largest number of potential TV viewers.

🦠Heck!  The DMN’s Cathy Harasta year’s ago did a sports blurb on how even a NCAA D1-AA Mean Green had impressively won the time slot on a game televised by WFAA ABC channel 8. (SUMG put that DMN blurb in his Mean Green Memorabilia scrap book).    🦠Our game on Channel 8 with the impressive ratings was a MG win over UL-M with Greg Carter (Richland HS) as our winning MG QB.

🦠Wonder if a study of how BYU is doing as a temporary Independent would be worthwhile?  They & their fans refuse to go to the MWC.  Seems their 🔹Blue & ️White Cougars have been getting nice TV coverage last few years.  

❤️UH vs 💚UNT?   I agree 100% with ADLER on an Apogee expansion.  10K more seats on the Student Side would tell Houston (& others) that in Denton none of this stops with merely the addition of an extremely impressive Indoor Practice Facility.

🦠 It’s all about perception—always has been.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🐇 RABBIT 🐰 CHASING !

HG, if the money is right DFW channel KFWD would televise 2 pregnant fleas fighting for control for a local flea circus. 

Former UNT AD Helwig (whether you liked his unique UNT color logos or not) had all 11 of our 1995 MG games televised—both home & away.  I like your “all away games” televised idea.  

🦠 We have to break from CUSA. Their TV (non) package for UNT this Fall is a revolting insult to the DFW Metroplex school with the largest number of potential TV viewers.

🦠Heck!  The DMN’s Cathy Harasta year’s ago did a sports blurb on how even a NCAA D1-AA Mean Green had impressively won the time slot on a game televised by WFAA ABC channel 8. (SUMG put that DMN blurb in his Mean Green Memorabilia scrap book).    🦠Our game on Channel 8 with the impressive ratings was a MG win over UL-M with Greg Carter (Richland HS) as our winning MG QB.

🦠Wonder if a study of how BYU is doing as a temporary Independent would be worthwhile?  They & their fans refuse to go to the MWC.  Seems their 🔹Blue & ️White Cougars have been getting nice TV coverage last few years.  

❤️UH vs 💚UNT?   I agree 100% with ADLER on an Apogee expansion.  10K more seats on the Student Side would tell Houston (& others) that in Denton none of this stops with merely the addition of an extremely impressive Indoor Practice Facility.

🦠 It’s all about perception—always has been.

GMG!

I think a consistently sold out 31k seat stadium is a better image than one 40k sell out game per season along with multiple games under 30k.  Scarcity of single game tickets drives up season ticket sales which really improves perception. After a couple of seasons of sell outs, you expand

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, NTXCoog said:

I think a consistently sold out 31k seat stadium is a better image than one 40k sell out game per season along with multiple games under 30k.  Scarcity of single game tickets drives up season ticket sales which really improves perception. After a couple of seasons of sell outs, you expand

NTXCoog:  That “sell out” Fouts first philosophy may have very kept us in that old track stadium 10-15 years longer than we needed to be.

As you know, most G5 stadiums seating 40K rarely sellout unless they play schools who can bring 10,000 fans & that is why Apogee should be expanded.  AD Wren has the ability & talent to schedule those kind of school.  

We played UH, Baylor, TCU, OSU, Army. Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Navy & others at Fouts when our D1 future ambitions were (more or less) in a holding pattern.  Some of those schools would be able to bring 10K to Apogee if both teams are very competitive and/or ranked.  

TEXAS? USF opened their new stadium with UT-Austin.  Never say never about UT coming to an expanded Apogee. We played TAMU at Texas Stadium before almost 50,000; yes, many were Aggies but there were very many in apple green, too.  SWC schools back in the day depended on visiting teams bringing a minimum 10K: especially the private schools

What I’m saying is now for UNT to leave the G5 schools with 30,000 seat stadium standards behind & plan for brighter lights in the future.  If we don’t when the next NCAA musical chairs time comes around, then UNT will once again be left at the train station after that train has taken off.

Eat em’ up (from a teenage Coog fan here)

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

NTXCoog:  That “sell out” Fouts first philosophy may have very kept us in that old track stadium 10-15 years longer than we needed to be.

As you know, most G5 stadiums seating 40K rarely sellout unless they play schools who can bring 10,000 fans & that is why Apogee should be expanded.  AD Wren has the ability & talent to schedule those kind of school.  

We played UH, Baylor, TCU, OSU, Army. Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Navy & others at Fouts when our D1 future ambitions were (more or less) in a holding pattern.  Some of those schools would be able to bring 10K to Apogee if both teams are very competitive and/or ranked.  

TEXAS? USF opened their new stadium with UT-Austin.  Never say never about UT coming to an expanded Apogee. We played TAMU at Texas Stadium before almost 50,000; yes, many were Aggies but there were very many in apple green, too.  SWC schools back in the day depended on visiting teams bringing a minimum 10K: especially the private schools

What I’m saying is now for UNT to leave the G5 schools with 30,000 seat stadium standards behind & plan for brighter lights in the future.  If we don’t when the next NCAA musical chairs time comes around, then UNT will once again be left at the train station after that train has taken off.

GMG!

I’ve said all along that when the next round of realignment happens, which I think will be 2025 when the Big XII GOR ends, there will be 4 power conferences. What is interesting about BYU is that they are considered P5 by conferences that play them in OOC, so their independent status is one that many folks that get left behind will probably consider...

27 minutes ago, untbowler said:

I will say the FB Streams have been much better than the ESPN3/ESPN+ feeds. 

Very little buffering unlike ESPN Apps

Facebook does a very nice production. And we need to get out of CUSA or we'll go nowhere.

Plumm's right, we would benefit greatly from the exposure on regular television in the metroplex.

Students like to attend events that are being televised, and it has enormous value to local recruits who's friends and extended families can watch their games from home.

I don't know if it would be cost prohibitive or if a UNT Network would violate the CUSA contracts, but certainly we could outbid the Saturday Autorama and other infomercial shows for air time.

This is what WKU does for their basketball program and it has been incredibly successful. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, keith said:

Other than not being able to DVR the game if I have a conflict or something, I don't mind streaming the game on-line...many have replay options that make up for that.  The camera angles and/or the announcers are not always the best, but it's infinitely better than not being able to watch the game at all.  However, I was perplexed by the Facebook stream of the Houston game.  It's my understanding (perhaps incorrect) that this Facebook production was part of the C-USA deal/package.  However, the coverage seemed to be all Houston, all the time.  If I watch an OOC game on the SEC network, for example, I expect the production to lean toward the SEC team, same with the Longhorn network or the Big10 network.  I realize Facebook isn't the same as a C-USA network (if there was one), but it just seemed that the coverage was more geared toward the Houston fan than the UNT fan.

Not all Facebook streams are created equal.  In the past, the Facebook streams CUSA has been a part of were produced by Stadium.  The Houston game was produced by CBS Sports Network through Facebook.   Could be that AAC has a deal with CBS Sports Network. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG!

There are positives and negatives to both approaches. 

The premise was perception of the program.  Even if you expand to 50k and fill the stadium for a UT or aTm game, unless you have 45k the next week for the lesser opponent, the perception will be horrible. 

Trust me on this.  I attended UH during the run and shoot years in the late 80s/early 90s.  We'd have 50k vs UT or aTm, then have 20k the next week for TCU.  The percpion was the additional 30k fans were all UT.  The truth was more likely 15k UT fans and 15k UH fans that would only show up against the bigger name opponent. But the truth didnt matter. All perception.

And if you think 20k in a 30k stadium isnt the best atmosphere, 30k in a 50k stadium is worse.  Even with 50% more attendance, it feels empty

• Thanks 1