California Law Passes

So the Gov. of California, Gavin Newsome, passed a law that allows college football players to make money from advertisers that use their likeness, name, etc., on products, defying the the NCAA.  California schools will have a distinct advantage in recruiting over the rest of us.  And what will the NCAA do about it?  Your thoughts.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Eye Roll 2

And I might add, this will be a great way for California to generate more state income taxes.

Edit: California's state income tax rates range from 1 percent to 12.3 percent. The Golden State also assesses a 1 percent surcharge on taxable incomes of $1 million or more.Feb 18, 2019

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

It seems to be going to happen whether I like it or not....which I do not. Lots of personal reasons and probably too many to go into here. But...there is good news for me. Would cost me a lot less! If and when scholarship college athletes start signing with agents and being paid, I can and will stop donating to college athletic scholarships. That would help my pocketbook a good bit. But, long way to go before this settles out. So, I’ll just wait and see what and how it develops....or not.  The NCAA will certainly not be silent on this bill. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

--- Athletes are already paid somewhat ... they do not pay tuition, housing etc. like most other students have to do ... It does seem a bit unfair for the universities to use the athletes name and picture to make money .... so just ban universities from doing that then.. 

An interesting comment I heard today was "supporters could tell a recruit that they would buy maybe 1000's of jerseys with their name on it and the profits resulting would be passed on the recruit.....Ie. a way to get them to commit to a certain school.  Things are already not on an even basis but this could ruin college athletics (my opinion) ..

. It will also cause discontent among the players also  ... the QB, RB or WR, might earn a lot of money and the linemen or others might get near nothing even though without them they would be not successful. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Eye Roll 1