Ashley Bowen

GrandGreen

20 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I saw that too.  Wonder what happened.  Not the first player that left the program under Jalie.

Strange, how do you lose a player before a single practice?

She is now on the transfer portal, I wonder how that works for a player that has signed but never played

Seems to me she would have to sit out a year

Alum or not, Mitchell is going to have to produce.   

Add on:  Bowen is the fourth player lost as three others on last year's roster are gone:  Velma Mitchell, Jasmyne Robinson and Tatum Henderson.  

Could be injury, running off players to get better ones, dissatisfied player leaving, etc.  It is in line with Mitchell's norm of turnover.   Year before her most promising player after Bradley, transferred Lauren Holmes. 

Edited by GrandGreen

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

She is now on the transfer portal, I wonder how that works for a player that has signed but never played

Absolutely!  And so far she hasn't.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Add on:  Bowen is the fourth player lost as three others on last year's roster are gone:  Velma Mitchell, Jasmyne Robinson and Tatum Henderson.  

Could be injury, running off players to get better ones, dissatisfied player leaving, etc.  It is in line with Mitchell's norm of turnover.   Year before her most promising player after Bradley, transferred Lauren Holmes. 

Holmes was because of family, but I was surprised with Velma transferring. Luckily they got some really solid transfers coming in

4 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Holmes was because of family, but I was surprised with Velma transferring. Luckily they got some really solid transfers coming in

That was the reason given, but a less than 90 mile difference in distance made me question that a little. 

If she really wanted to be at NT and play for Mitchell, it doesn't seem material.  Less than an hour and a half trip difference. 

It is more likely that she wanted a smaller college, Drury is something over 3000 enrollment.  It is also a division 11 powerhouse going 31-3 the year before Homes transferred and 35-1 in her first year.   

Velma had a disappointing year in 2018 - 19,  but she was Mitchell's star recruit in that class.  A juco first team All American, NT doesn't get many of those. 

Don't necessarily blame Mitchell, college basketball with the advent of the transfer portal and many coaches releasing players that don't perform early, just has massive player turnover.  

The coaches' primary responsibly to the program is to just win games.  That is what Mitchell will be judged on.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Tatum is on the track team. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

That’s a little harsh. She took over a disaster of a program and has them average. Does she need to take the next step? Absolutely. But to say she hasn’t produced at all is a bit too punitive. 

I mean she just took them to a WBI championship, and they did some stuff that they've never done. Like beat WKU LT and USM on the road, and take a ranked team to the final possessions. Not to mention the big wins she's had over the last 4 years.

Yes she needs to take it to the next level, and I think this is the year. (Mainly because Rice lost some solid player except the freakin tall Nancy Mulkey.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I mean she just took them to a WBI championship, and they did some stuff that they've never done. Like beat WKU LT and USM on the road, and take a ranked team to the final possessions. Not to mention the big wins she's had over the last 4 years.

Yes she needs to take it to the next level, and I think this is the year. (Mainly because Rice lost some solid player except the freakin tall Nancy Mulkey.

She beat a ranked OU team on her first year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think she's demonstrated that she's a competent coach. What would help Jalie succeed at North Texas, to reach that supposed 'next level'? Is it increased salaries for better assistant coaches, bigger recruiting budget, better facilities? Is the current support in those areas insufficient?

I'm asking because a few of you follow the program pretty closely.

8 hours ago, ADLER said:

I think she's demonstrated that she's a competent coach. What would help Jalie succeed at North Texas, to reach that supposed 'next level'? Is it increased salaries for better assistant coaches, bigger recruiting budget, better facilities? Is the current support in those areas insufficient?

I'm asking because a few of you follow the program pretty closely.

I certainly don’t consider myself an expert, but I do follow the program pretty close. I think she already has the institutional resources to get back to the top of CUSA. It’s just a matter of doing it. I think she’s done a respectable job, but have to think the pressure is in the beginning stages of building up. 

The only times in the last two decades this team hasn’t been absolutely atrocious is when Mitchell has either been a player or coach. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Venson said:

From what I understand, Bowen was having a hard time keeping up physically. The game was beng played too fast for her and she was tiring too easily. I may be wrong, but I thought that had something to do with her transferring.

6 minutes ago, Venson said:

From what I understand, Bowen was having a hard time keeping up physically. The game was being played too fast for her and she was tiring too easily. I may be wrong, but I thought that had something to do with her transferring.

Yeah thats what I thought. Just not D1

• Upvote 1

Whether Bowen could cut or not at the D1 level, she was signed by NT. 

She also dominated high school basketball, so she has some mobility.

Most of us don't know whether she was run off, or left on her on accord.   She would have been a prime red-shirt candidate, giving her a year to get more into basketball shape.  

It will be interesting to see what is in her future. 

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Whether Bowen could cut or not at the D1 level, she was signed by NT. 

She also dominated high school basketball, so she has some mobility.

Most of us don't know whether she was run off, or left on her on accord.   She would have been a prime red-shirt candidate, giving her a year to get more into basketball shape.  

It will be interesting to see what is in her future. 

I was shocked that we offered for the reasons stated previously. I saw 2 full games of video. 1 was during her jr year in CO. (State finals) She could barely make it back and forth on the court. Why Jalie couldn’t see that before the offer is puzzling to me. 

• Upvote 2

Some of these kids get by on talent alone at the HS level.  They soon realize that isn't the case with D1 basketball and that it takes a lot of work.  I have nothing to go on here other than these comments and Bowen's game video, but it sure sounds like she was the biggest fish in a small pond in high school.  The work required to remain dominate at this level may not have been to her liking.  Again, just opinion.