UNT Experience from a Houston fan perspective

Coach Andy Mac

I asked the Houston fans sitting on my row about the drive up and they said that they're alumni and that the live pretty close.

He further stated that only a small percentage of their DFW alumni chapter actually live in Dallas or Ft Worth, and that most live in the cities on the north side of the metroplex: Allen, Plano, Carrolton, Flower Mound, Coppell, etc. and that games in Denton are much more accessible than games at the tiny privates. 

He said their chapter helps market UH in those suburban high schools by sponsoring football games. I hadn't heard about that, but it makes sense he said because they heavily recruit those schools for students.

• Upvote 4

To answer a Houston's fan, one reason we are building dorms on property that is closer to  athletic facilities than classrooms east of HWY 35 W is available land. Locals get tired of loosing their property to UNT by right of condemnation so we can expand our campus when we have over 100 acres across the interstate .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Overall it seems NT, concessions and Denton overall made a really good impression on cougar fans.

The tailgating/gameday experience at Apogee is one of the best in the conference now.  Keep playing as many Texas-based schools as possible, and the program benefits and things like rivalries and must-see games keep developing. 

UNT should play home and homes with Houston/SMU/Texas State/Baylor/TCU as often as possible.  Alumni are close by, it's a great opportunity for fans to travel, helps recruiting, and helps build the program.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s nice to get another team’s fans viewpoint of things. Many Houston fans wish to keep us in the rotation along with Texas state and utsa. Shows you that there is a hunger to play drivable games against fans who care, bands that travel and venues that rumble.

GMG

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UrNotTalented said:

Hey. I enjoyed myself and most UNT fans were pleasant and welcoming. When y'all come down to the H next year I'm sure we'll return the favor. 

Good luck the rest of the way in C-USA. And for the love of God beat the snot out of Rice.

I'm really excited to see yalls stadium. It looks really nice from the outside, and yes if we don't beat Rice we are redshirting the season

• Haha 2

I’m bipolar on this subject. Mountain west in a flash - yes!  But there is a hunger to play teams with traveling fans and bands. We just can’t get it together. Houston doesn’t mind playing us, Texas state or utsa but  doesn’t want to play rice. Smu doesn’t like playing us but wants to play rice. Utsa feels superior to Texas state and UTEP just wants a win. The miners have been the most consistent about this because they would have left to the mwc or tried harder a long time ago. They want to play all of us! 

So until we figure this Texas thing out I would take those western programs hands down. Bring on Vegas Boise San Diego and Reno. 

GMG

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, NM Green said:

I’m bipolar on this subject. Mountain west in a flash - yes!  But there is a hunger to play teams with traveling fans and bands. We just can’t get it together. Houston doesn’t mind playing us, Texas state or utsa but  doesn’t want to play rice. Smu doesn’t like playing us but wants to play rice. Utsa feels superior to Texas state and UTEP just wants a win. The miners have been the most consistent about this because they would have left to the mwc or tried harder a long time ago. They want to play all of us! 

So until we figure this Texas thing out I would take those western programs hands down. Bring on Vegas Boise San Diego and Reno. 

GMG

We did this in the 90s in the Big West. It was terrible for the university, fans, students, and most of all every single team within the athletic department. We had our families occasionally in the stands. That was it. Zero fans ever. It sucked. It also sucked traveling out west for every away game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1