Diagnosing the bad taste that won't go away after the Houston loss

Harry

On 10/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, untjim1995 said:

I agree on on holding us back, but the talent on SMU’s roster and especially on UH’s roster was just very telling.

Last year, we beat SMU in their first game with Sonny Dykes as the coach and their talent was obviously less than it is now. And we beat an inept Arkansas team that was just putrid—great win, but they would get mud holed by the UH team we just saw this weekend.

I guess, watching these games this season, reminds me that the AAC programs just have higher ceilings than we have in CUSA. And the league is just terrible right now.

both teams used alot of transfer guys via the portal.  We probably need to do that as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

It’s not being naive,..its pointing out how ridiculous a position it is to:

1) Bash a conference you haven’t even won yet.

2) Claim that if we were in a better conference we would suddenly get better athletes to win the better conference,...MAGICALLY ELIMINATING THE SHORTFALLS OF THE SAME COACHING STAFF THAT CANT WIN THE BAD CONFERENCE.

How do you not see how bizarre a position that is to take?

I worry about some of you people.

Rick

No, I understand your take. It's valid. But I don't take a lot of stock in winning CUSA. It's irrelevant. Would it be nice, sure. But don't expect a jubilant fan base ready to bust at the seams next year going into 2020 if we happen to win CUSA. WKU was really, really good for 2-4 years not that long ago. What did that do for them? What national perception did they gain? Rice won it in 2013, RICE. What's goin' on with them nowadays? There is no upside to winning this conference. And that's because no one cares about this conference and the teams therein. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No, I understand your take. It's valid. But I don't take a lot of stock in winning CUSA. It's irrelevant. Would it be nice, sure. But don't expect a jubilant fan base ready to bust at the seams next year going into 2020 if we happen to win CUSA. WKU was really, really good for 2-4 years not that long ago. What did that do for them? What national perception did they gain? Rice won it in 2013, RICE. What's goin' on with them nowadays? There is no upside to winning this conference. And that's because no one cares about this conference and the teams therein. 

WKU under Taggart, Petrino, & Brohm was very successful and had a lot of national attention.   Once Brohm left for Purdue, they misfired big time on the next hire with Sanford, and sank.   They're now trying to recapture some of that Brohm-era magic under Helton.  But all it takes is 1 year for a G5 to sink back to obscurity.

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

1) Bash a conference you haven’t even won yet.

North Texas fans seem to take solace in bashing their own conference, whether we win it or not.  Everyone bashed the SBC, everyone bashed the BWC, everyone bashed the SLC.    I wasn't around for it but I am sure people bashed the Missouri Valley, Gulf Coast, and Lone Star.

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

North Texas fans seem to take solace in bashing their own conference, whether we win it or not.  Everyone bashed the SBC, everyone bashed the BWC, everyone bashed the SLC.    I wasn't around for it but I am sure people bashed the Missouri Valley, Gulf Coast, and Lone Star.

Every team in CUSA wants to be in a better conference.   No matter no one team has come close to dominating a so called revenue sport. 

The Southland was the worst because NT chose to go backward instead of fighting to stay in 1a at the time.  

Moving up in conferences, brings better recruits.   The problem is it also brings better competition.  

So a team can obviously recruit better, but it could be fool's gold.  Better players, but worse recruiting relative to your league mates. 

I don't understand why anyone doesn't realize that demeaning CUSA is also doing the same for the individual teams in it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:09 PM, Mean Green Matt said:

Mason is a fantastic quarterback. The fact he started so early, is talented, and the offense he plays in has allowed him to hold basically all of our passing records and he likely will for a long time. 

With that said, I think Mason is a once in a generation story. I don’t believe we will go a generation without having a QB that will match his talent/on field impact. 

Mason = Harrell.  No Harrell...? 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

District 5-6A

Edited by greenminer

Apparently some do not realize that CUSA is the best conference NT has ever been in.  Unless, you want to look at just basketball; when NT was part of the MVC. 

Why bash CUSA, do you think that helps anything?

Maybe you believe that the NT administration can just call up and join the MWC, AAC or a P5 conference.  

NT dropping back into obscurity, what does that mean?  Visibility of a program is dependent on who they play and how they preform. 

Getting clobbered against P5's in the OC, provides lots of visibility. 

There is a possibility that NT could be better next year.  Fine is a rare talent, he is not going to be replaced by a better QB.  That does not mean that NT, who appears to be recruiting better; won't improve.  

Likewise if Littrell leaves, NT may find another better coach. That is why those salary numbers and inter-structure improvements are vital. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Conferences matter to recruits.  Perception is reality.  The worst P5 school will still have better recruiting options than the best CUSA school.  This is a MUCH better conference than the SunBelt, and gives us better recruiting interest, but it needs to be a stepping stone, and I think Wren realizes that.  

Edited by Mad Hatter
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Man, I recall (and not too long ago) when folks were saying..."well it is our facilities that are holding us back", "recruits notice that stuff", "we will never get a great recruiting class until we upgrade our facilities, "it isn't the coach, it is the facilities", "the star recruits will not come to UNT because our facilities suck"...and on and on.  Well...…………………………..

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Man, I recall (and not too long ago) when folks were saying..."well it is our facilities that are holding us back", "recruits notice that stuff", "we will never get a great recruiting class until we upgrade our facilities, "it isn't the coach, it is the facilities", "the star recruits will not come to UNT because our facilities suck"...and on and on.  Well...…………………………..

Well.............................It was facilities. But our poor conference was and still is holding us back more so. It sucks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

This is how the arms race goes.  New conference and new facilities (and new coaches) have improved recruiting by leaps and bounds the last few years.  Now our expectations have raised to where we should be winning recruiting battles and winning games against higher teared schools.  Being in a higher level conference would help.  

We are better off than where we were.  It’s. It even close.  But now that’s not enough.

Go Mean Green!  Ever higher!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1